• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Back into audio after retiring...(tl;dr Help!)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'm clarifying a bit. Neumann, Genelec
I only put Genelec then Neumann on my list. The JBL 708 is quite nice, but the reliability is low and price is ridiculous, especially for something made in a low cost labour country.
Also, what do you listen to in your own system?
8030C.
Because I'm not setting up a nearfield system, does anything change?
It does change, as a 3-way would be a lot better at your distance. If you can't find a good one at this price, then these would probably work okay with a mandatory sub. I mean, look what the KH120A can throw at you:
kh120_max_spl_510.gif

Maximum SPL at 1m (Red: 3% THD, Blue: 1% THD)

The thing is that good 3-way speakers as flat as Genelec or Neumann are very expensive! The KEF R serie with some EQ could be your answer.

TimW

Major Contributor
Something that is very important to me when setting up a system for myself or others, is how does the listener interface with the system? Meaning what actions, controls, or apps are required to use the system. I find that an easier and nicer looking/feeling interface makes for a much more enjoyable listening experience even for a nerd like me. And the average person may not even use the system if it isn't easy.

For instance how will you select music to stream? An app on your phone or tablet or TV? A program on your computer? What capabilities must this software have? Will volume be controlled via the app or do you want a physical remote control? I assume you don't want to have to walk over to your system to turn it on and off, so do you want to do that with a remote or an app or do you want it to happen automatically? If you want a remote, do you want it to have transport controls for your streaming? There are many different means and methods for getting the usability you may want but if you buy hardware and software without considering these things you may end up with a system that's not as enjoyable.

I recommend having room correction and multiple subs in any and every system. It goes a long way towards higher fidelity and listening enjoyment. In my systems I usually have multiple sources I want to use such as TV, music streaming, LP's, and Tuner. For this reason I use hardware based DSP components from miniDSP so that I can have room correction and corrective speaker EQ with all of my sources. My miniDSP's have 4 outputs so I can crossover to and individually EQ 2 subwoofers. They also have Dirac Live room correction built in which works great in my experience. Other great hardware based room correction systems I know of include Audyssey MultEQ XT, Anthem ARC, and Genelec GLM. Alternatively you could use your streaming software to apply EQ which allows you to use less expensive hardware. Roon and Jriver a couple I know of that can do this. This then only allows you to apply room correction to one source. It also is not automated so you have to learn to take measurements and use a couple pieces of software without a screen guiding you.

The Genelec system actually looks very neat to me. Just about everything is built into the speakers so you don't need a piece of hardware for crossovers, or D/A conversion or amplification. From what I understand, GLM is pretty easy to use and you can use it to control volume of the system. Plus I think their speakers turn on automatically when they sense a signal.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Something that is very important to me when setting up a system for myself or others, is how does the listener interface with the system? Meaning what actions, controls, or apps are required to use the system. I find that an easier and nicer looking/feeling interface makes for a much more enjoyable listening experience even for a nerd like me. And the average person may not even use the system if it isn't easy.
Excellent point.

Even though I have a CCA, I almost never use it. Instead, I prefer my old Squeezebox Classic with a physical remote or HEOS app on my receiver, or even Spotify on the Roku player.

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor

For instance how will you select music to stream? An app on your phone or tablet or TV? A program on your computer? What capabilities must this software have? Will volume be controlled via the app or do you want a physical remote control? I assume you don't want to have to walk over to your system to turn it on and off, so do you want to do that with a remote or an app or do you want it to happen automatically? If you want a remote, do you want it to have transport controls for your streaming? There are many different means and methods for getting the usability you may want but if you buy hardware and software without considering these things you may end up with a system that's not as enjoyable.

I recommend having room correction and multiple subs in any and every system. It goes a long way towards higher fidelity and listening enjoyment. In my systems I usually have multiple sources I want to use such as TV, music streaming, LP's, and Tuner. For this reason I use hardware based DSP components from miniDSP so that I can have room correction and corrective speaker EQ with all of my sources. My miniDSP's have 4 outputs so I can crossover to and individually EQ 2 subwoofers. They also have Dirac Live room correction built in which works great in my experience. Other great hardware based room correction systems I know of include Audyssey MultEQ XT, Anthem ARC, and Genelec GLM. Alternatively you could use your streaming software to apply EQ which allows you to use less expensive hardware. Roon and Jriver a couple I know of that can do this. This then only allows you to apply room correction to one source. It also is not automated so you have to learn to take measurements and use a couple pieces of software without a screen guiding you.

The Genelec system actually looks very neat to me. Just about everything is built into the speakers so you don't need a piece of hardware for crossovers, or D/A conversion or amplification. From what I understand, GLM is pretty easy to use and you can use it to control volume of the system. Plus I think their speakers turn on automatically when they sense a signal.

Convenience compared to yesteryear is important to me. Several years ago I ripped 500 +/- CD's to FLAC files. When I did, those got upload to Google Play Music - now, Youtube Music. In my imagination I could visualize using my phone to get to/control any piece of music I might ever want. Ownership of that music isn't important to me any more. So...as part of all this, I'll be trying to decide whether to continue to use Youtube Music or swtich to Spotify or Amazon or ... all with the intent to put together a "simple," great sounding system I can enjoy. Thanks for the reminders & thought process!

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm clarifying a bit. Neumann, Genelec & JBLPro is your order of preference? Also, what do you listen to in your own system? Because I'm not setting up a nearfield system, does anything change? I really like the idea that the Neumann & Genelec include the room correction technology I'll need. Thanks for hanging in there as I dither over all of this.
Keep in mind that the Genelec GLM module is sold separately, i.e. at additional charge on top of the GLM enabled speakers. I'm pretty dense so that little detail eluded me until after I'd ordered the speakers...

OP
6sigma

6sigma

Forum Donor
Discussions here made me realize I need to come up to speed with REW/DRC/DSP, in other words, digital audio. To that end I'm looking at one of three possible systems to get started.

I've read until my eyes bleed & mean no offense to anyone who has made a suggestion. I've still got to figure out the connectivity issues with any of these options.

Here's what I'm leaning toward:

Option 1:
JBL LSR305P x 2..........$198
JBL 310S x 1.................$299
Stands & wires...............TBD
(possibly miniDSP)........TBD
Source: YouTube Music to CCA

Option 2:
ELAC DBR62..................$600
Stands & wires................TBD
ELAC Integrated Amp....$880
(possibly miniDSP)

Option 3:
KEF LS50 Wireless II......$2500
Stands & wires................TBD
(possibly miniDSP)

Thanks again for all your advice & Happy Holidays to each of you.

Top Bottom