• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4Mac ORC

jimbill

I see on the Theoretica website that the ORC was supposed to be released in January. I assume Edgar has to go customer by customer installing and educating on how to implement the program.

Has anyone gotten it yet?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one?

1707373568098.jpeg

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to release… must be scary, you and the orc, together alone on the listening couch :facepalm: ;)

I assume Edgar has to go customer by customer installing and educating on how to implement the program.
That doesn’t sound like a very scalable operation. Surely this isn’t so difficult to do on your own? On the other hand, for what the stuff costs you’d expect a personal visit.

I wonder how the thing can do head tracked room correction without measuring a substantial area of the room? If you measure one spot, you don’t know how the other spots measure. And I think the head tracking is only 2D, so any depth information is missing.

… I’ll show myself out now. Will be back to read some actually usefull comments ;)

OP
J

jimbill

It measures for the head in the main listening position. The sweet spot is enlarged because the camera follows the head in the MLP. During measurement setup the program asks you to lean hard both left and right as it takes sound sweeps. This will be the width of the sweet spot. Up and down, back and forth movements don't affect it. If you move about the room you lose the BACCH effect but you still have the same sound as you currently do without the program.

There is a learning curve for using the system. I'm very much not a computer person, especially Mac, so there were quite a few phone sessions before I got it down. Edgar says this part will be much easier. I'm sure it will because I'm now quite comfortable using the current program.

ErVikingo

It measures for the head in the main listening position. The sweet spot is enlarged because the camera follows the head in the MLP. During measurement setup the program asks you to lean hard both left and right as it takes sound sweeps. This will be the width of the sweet spot. Up and down, back and forth movements don't affect it. If you move about the room you lose the BACCH effect but you still have the same sound as you currently do without the program.

There is a learning curve for using the system. I'm very much not a computer person, especially Mac, so there were quite a few phone sessions before I got it down. Edgar says this part will be much easier. I'm sure it will because I'm now quite comfortable using the current program.
Could you give me(us) feedback on what equipment you have to run to listen to music? I assume that the Babyface etc is only for measurements? Thus i would only need to run the mac mini? Do we need a display for the mac mini?

I appreciate your feedback!

OP
J

jimbill

I have a MacBook Air running into the DAC of my Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD player. The Babyface is only used for making the filters, when you have to use the microphones. You can turn it off otherwise. You can see the Babyface on top of the silver preamp.

The photo shows the ear microphones and cables. These are stored in the fancy cases when not making filters.

If using a mac mini you will have to have a tablet or such to see the screen.

The only thing I would do differently with my current system is to have 16g instead of 8g in the Mac.

Attachments

• 20240214_184514.jpg
    20240214_184514.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240214_184524.jpg
    20240214_184524.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 42

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it’s coming out very soon. It’s supposed to be pretty simple and easy to use. Early reports are that it may almost equal the BACCH cross talk cancellation SP in its impact.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This one?

View attachment 348190

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to release… must be scary, you and the orc, together alone on the listening couch :facepalm: ;)

That doesn’t sound like a very scalable operation. Surely this isn’t so difficult to do on your own? On the other hand, for what the stuff costs you’d expect a personal visit.

I wonder how the thing can do head tracked room correction without measuring a substantial area of the room? If you measure one spot, you don’t know how the other spots measure. And I think the head tracking is only 2D, so any depth information is missing.

… I’ll show myself out now. Will be back to read some actually usefull comments ;)
It’s a single user system

ErVikingo

I have a MacBook Air running into the DAC of my Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD player. The Babyface is only used for making the filters, when you have to use the microphones. You can turn it off otherwise. You can see the Babyface on top of the silver preamp.

The photo shows the ear microphones and cables. These are stored in the fancy cases when not making filters.

If using a mac mini you will have to have a tablet or such to see the screen.

The only thing I would do differently with my current system is to have 16g instead of 8g in the Mac.
Thanks!

mieswall

I’ve upgraded my B4M with ORC yesterday. I’m speechless. What was already great with xtc in time domain, now is just incredible adding room correction in frecuency domain… measured at your very ears..
I can confidently say that I haven’t heard music reproduction as realistic as this anywhere (except unamplified live music), regardless the price.

OP
J

jimbill

This is a good tutorial on how to use the programs. You can skip a lot of the first part.

Top Bottom