• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BACCH4 Mac ORC recommended recordinings?

jimbill

Really enjoying the ORC update. Many rock and jazz recordings I have benefit from the program.

What classical recordings show the benefits of the filters?

OP
J

jimbill

I'm getting XTC readings of 15, both channels. I don't know if it's ORC, but I'm loving it. My FR is very close to optimal.

Give Santana "Caravanserai" a listen.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I
Those are good, but I was looking for something that gets closer to 3 and 9 o'clock like I get from non-classical. Maybe it's just the miking.
unless you are the conductor you just don’t get 3:00-9:00 in real life.

OP
J

jimbill

Edgar also gave me some tips on using the microphones. I wasn't putting them in my ears deep enough. Now I kind of work them back and forth until they're level with my ear. Before, I wasn't blocking my ear canal. Then I make sure they are positioned as close to exact in both ears.

Gwreck

Does ORC impact the XTC? I thought it was “just” a form of frequency response correction separate from the XTC (I may well be wrong)

The biggest spatial thing I have noticed with ORC is on binaural recordings the spatial cues seem to be clearer. For instance usually there is a dead spot of the image should be behind my head where the image collapses and is front and center again. With ORC that image is behind my head.

mieswall

Thomas Ades: Dante, LA phil directed by Dudamel at the Walt Disney of LA.. DG I think. Just amazing…each and every instrument perfectly delineated in its own space…. You are there…

Dahl - Martinu, works for clarinets & strings; sonolumina ensemble. Although a dsd that bacch processes only as regular pcm, the recording techniques are so remarkable, and bacch extract all the juice in it. I heard this in what’s one of the best systems I have ever encountered (Halcro monoblocks, ps audio mk 2 dsd, Genesis loudspeakers), and yet, with bacch/orc in my modest system (costing 1/20 of that) this sounds order of magnitudes better …. They are here…

Last edited:

mieswall

Awesome music to listen with Bacch: “Hounds of Love” by Kate Bush. One of my desert island records that i’ve listened perhaps a hundred times before. But B4M turned this into a whole new, hugely enhanced experience.
Hard to find a better one where the spatial clues unveiled by Bacch really show what a genius artist’ imagination is capable of.

mieswall

It is common to aim for acoustical recordings (jazz, classical) to maximize the spatiality of the xtc filter. But with some electronic music could be as much or more so. Take for example Helene Vogelsinger 'Reminiscence'. For this spectacular recording BACCH is a must. It just gives a whole new meaning to this beautiful music. If in a hurry, try the last two tracks, "Ceremony" or "Reminiscence". Amazing.

Top Bottom