• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiolab 6000CDT experience

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd get the cheapest drive that officially supports rewritable CDs. Those drives can adjust the optical path (laser - photodiode) to very different reflection rates of the media (AFAIK CD-RW reflects 22% only of what a pressed CD reflects). So when the laser power goes down with age you'll still be able to play pressed CDs for a very long time. May have a look to professional players by Tascam (e.g. CD-200 available at Thomann) or their consumer equivalent models by Teac (if there are any available).

guybrush

Thanks for the advices. I would like to get the cdt-8 to insert in my system (all nuprime) which musically I like a lot, but the remote control really seems like a joke. The cdt-10 is obviously over budget (new obv). I don't care about upsampling, only that it is solid and that the sound is not "boxed". Alekc were you able to listen to them both (audiolab / nupirme)? I will be old school but I like to buy some CDs from time to time in some shop in town and then listen to it quietly .. the point is that I don't have much time then I can only listen to a few tracks :)
Tascam cd-200 is interesting, I'll be looking for reviews around. On amaon it is available, maybe I'll try it.
If you have alternatives, they are welcome!

alekc

Honestly speaking I do not see a good reason to go with CDT-10 since basically it has better power circuit. Since you do not care about upsampling I would suggest reconsider numprime products and maybe went witch cheaper solution. One note: nuprime is almost dead silent which can be very important even for headphone setups.

As for Audiolab vs Nuprime: I've heard them both but not at the same time, secondly you would need the same DAC/AMP/HP setup to really compare both products. Subjectively I think nuprime is more silent but this is from my memory. Secondly Audiolab was demo unit with god knows how many hours it had under the hood. I went with nuprime due to upsampling option and I love it. Does is justify the price difference? In your case when upsampling is not needed I would go with cheaper options.

I'm like you: I like to buy new CD from time to time, secondly some recording are not available in streaming services and there is a bit of magic when silver disc is spinning. Both Audiolab 6000CDT and Nuprime CDT-8 will enable you to enjoy few tracks daily. If you want to select tracks by number Audiolab is a clear winner in comparison to CDT-8.

D

Deleted member 24508

I have the 6000cdt and its nice sounding. Definitely better than using cd player as transport.
I have an Audiolab 6000 CDT it sounds better than any CD player at less than $5000.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anybody using a 6000CDT CD transport ? Experience good or bad
My own experience is: Jut avoid any slot-in CD player/transport. It won't be reliable overtime.

I have an Audiolab 6000 CDT it sounds better than any CD player at less than $5000.
Come on. April Fools is over now.

D

Deleted member 24508

My own experience is: Jut avoid any slot-in CD player/transport. It won't be reliable overtime.

Come on. April Fools is over now.
I have several systems in different rooms. Having owned a number of very expensive CD players and listened to many more the Audiolab is significantly better with a good dac than any I have heard except at esoteric prices, just does. I have iFi iDSD micro BL sounds good, Gustard X16 sounds better, Chord Qute2 very nice indeed? This transport replaced my older Yamaha slot loader that has never missed a beat in 12 years? Several CD players including Rotel and Marantz were neither as good or as reliable as the Yamaha slot loader.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have several systems in different rooms. Having owned a number of very expensive CD players and listened to many more the Audiolab is significantly better with a good dac than any I have heard except at esoteric prices, just does. I have iFi iDSD micro BL sounds good, Gustard X16 sounds better, Chord Qute2 very nice indeed? This transport replaced my older Yamaha slot loader that has never missed a beat in 12 years? Several CD players including Rotel and Marantz were neither as good or as reliable as the Yamaha slot loader.

Treat your gear nicely and gently, in good shelf life conditions and they'll give you a return and you may even beat the programmed obsolescence.

david85

I used the audiolab transport with mhdt orchid . Sounds excellent

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve only seen subjective reviews, but the functionality seems good. At this point the only thing to worry about in a transport is the longevity of the laser and moving parts, right? It’s about the same price as the Cambridge Audio transport but the Cambridge doesn’t have number buttons on the remote so that would make the choice easy for me.

On the other hand, the marantz cd6006 is about the same price and if you ever wanted to use it as a CD player and not just a transport you could.

For posterity on this old thread: The Audiolab seems to use an automotive slot-loading mechanism, but I can’t find out who makes them. I’m guessing but I don’t know. It should be reliable enough but I don’t know about serviceability.

The Cambridge Audio CXC uses the standard cheapie Sanyo tray-loading transport that is the only one that can be bought new these days. The Marantz 6006 uses the same Sanyo transport.

A player with a really durable transport will have to be a used high-end model with a Philips pro mech, or an older player with the better Sony or Philips prosumer mechs. The Sony pro stuff is usually great but it’s older. The problem I run into with these is the mechanical drawer or CD loading mechanism.

If the laser works properly and puts out a good eye pattern, the transport is doing its job of delivering correct data. The ability to track across scratches and flaws is the only other requirement. If it delivers the correct data without skipping or dropping data too easily across flaws, then there will be no difference in the data stream fed to the DAC, and the DAC takes over from there. Utterly transparent DACs have been commodity items for what, a decade? But even when they weren’t, any claim of detecting a difference would need something more than assertion to be persuasive. And dedicated DACs in CD players have been transparent for much longer than standalone DACs.

I can’t tell the difference between good CD players from throughout the CD era. I’m sure there were bad ones where flaws would be more noticeable. I think some people are hearing what they see.

The Cambridge Audio CXC remote, by the way, uses the Philips RC-5 protocol. Any CD player remote that uses that protocol will work, including remotes with number keys for selecting tracks. I can do everything on the CXC with the remotes for both my Magnavox CDB-650 and my Naim CD5 except change the display brightness.

Rick “who owns six CD players from across the spectrum of age and price, and all are excellent when they work at all” Denney

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don’t understand you guys at all. Get a DVD player with all the remote functionality you need and the digital output to your DAC will be identical to any $5,000 transport. They are literally disposal but in fact will last 20 years. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPSR210P-DVD-Player/dp/B007F9XHBI

Or better, plug in a generic USB DVD player to your computer and rip FLAC (or WAV if you are a masochist), then stream to your DAC via WiFi or USB. https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U

david85

I really don’t understand you guys at all. Get a DVD player with all the remote functionality you need and the digital output to your DAC will be identical to any $5,000 transport. They are literally disposal but in fact will last 20 years. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPSR210P-DVD-Player/dp/B007F9XHBI

Or better, plug in a generic USB DVD player to your computer and rip FLAC (or WAV if you are a masochist), then stream to your DAC via WiFi or USB. https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Portable-External-GP65NB60/dp/B00ODDE33U
Just try them yourself , if cd transports are identical and don't make a difference to you then stick to your DVD player. If cd transports and DVD player are identical then why there CEC belt driven transports that cost 2 to 3 grand ? Out right scam to part fools from their money?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those cheapo bluray payers are nasty to use and the mechs are noisy. I had to replace both a Samsung and a Panasonic with an Oppo as I could hear them grinding away when watching films. From ten feet away!

The Panasonic went faulty after a couple of years, not 20.

The Audiolab looks and feels like a proper bit of hi-fi kit and the mech makes no noise in operation.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those cheapo bluray payers are nasty to use and the mechs are noisy. I had to replace both a Samsung and a Panasonic with an Oppo as I could hear them grinding away when watching films. From ten feet away!

The Panasonic went faulty after a couple of years, not 20.

The Audiolab looks and feels like a proper bit of hi-fi kit and the mech makes no noise in operation.
The reason the DVD drive is louder is it’s 8x speed. Or 16x. Rip it once in 4 minutes, your file will play silently forever. If you feel like spending an extra $500 it’s your money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom