• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioholics review of the Polk SDA L800.

WolfJackson

Same conclusion he had in his mini review a couple months ago: Best soundstaging and imaging he's ever heard.

For those unfamiliar with these, they implement crosstalk cancellation, which reveals many binaural cues in stereo recordings that regular speakers can't. The results are more accurate imaging and a wider soundstage.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These would be interesting to get on the Klippel.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I watched this. Good review. I was hoping for vertical polars, though. Just curious how something like this measures in that regard. I asked and was told that they were unable to measure that before the review but hopefully Matt can provide that before he ships them back. No big deal if he can't, but it would be nice to have (and be able to provide a full set of spinorama once completed).

Aside from that, the horizontal data does look a bit odd to me but I wasn't going to go kick dirt in their review because I'm probably one of very few who looked at it closely enough to care. And the speakers don't personally interest me enough to buy so there's no reason for me to pursue asking about it. But, for example, the 90° data doesn't at all make sense. The 70° and 80° horizontal response data are missing entirely.

The measured sensitivity is also very low. I expect AH's data to use the standard 2.83v/1m protocol so if this speaker was tested under that same condition then the sensitivity is quite a bit off from spec. I assume (hope), however, this particular measurement didn't follow that same protocol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom