• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioholics goes off the reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the clarification. Could use another…

Are you using a spring with a spike on the bottom to reduce wobble/creeping? Maybe a pic would help. Thanks!
I am not using springs.

I ran a noise and vibration research lab and know how things isolate and over what frequency range.

I can point out what polymeric absorbers do but also explain that wide band isolation down to lowest audible frequency requires a low damping solution which will have to have a substantial deflection - one can calculate it.

If you have bits of furniture and ornaments buzzing a polymeric absorber may well be enough.

If you want to isolate down to 20Hz so even deep bass isn't transmitted to your floor springs with substantial deflection are required, isolation starts from about 2x the natural frequency of the mass of the speaker on the compliance of the springs, it is quite simple and basic dynamics so an easy calculation.

OTOH I myself am not decoupling my speakers from the floor.

Frgirard

Major Contributor

given the complexity of the trick, readings just as contradictory, my kh 420 are on that https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/p/kyrre-tabouret-bouleau-60416925/

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is the sort of thing which will probably work.
If I am honest the availability of this mount made me take this company, which I hadn't heard of before, more seriously.

Mind you the speakers are still more important than the mount so good speakers mounted simply will be better than mediocre speakers effectively isolated.

I just had a look at those Mesanovic ISO platforms. €1000 for ONE decoupler... Ouch.

Momotaro

I generated waterfall plots for a couple of vibration isolators, including a product from isoacoustics. Short version is that there were definitely measurable differences.

Speaker with stock tiny rubber feet:
1594932686525.png

Speaker with IsoAcoustics Orea's:
1594932762292.png
That's a remarkable result, I wouldn't have expected such a difference. I see the original post was a while back, I don't suppose you remember feeling the vibration with your hand on the timber shelf?

I bought some second-hand speakers recently equipped with isolators. I mostly appreciate them making the speaker easier to position than regular spikes, and not scratching the timber floor. But turning the amp/speakers all the way up (very technical) you can press a finger across the isolator itself, bridging the floating part and the base and feel the former vibrating madly and the latter quite still. The movement isn't visible, of course (my eyes lack lasers).

When the silly season is over and I'm in a measuring mood I should see if I can dig out the spikes for a comparison.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just had a look at those Mesanovic ISO platforms. €1000 for ONE decoupler... Ouch.
I didn’t realise they were that expensive, Frank I believe thinks them a sensible effective design.

Keith

Momotaro

Also, I’d like to point out that the expression “off the reservation” is offensive to some Native Americans. @Spkrdctr
That was an interesting read, thanks. I hadn't thought much about that history, somewhat eye opening. So saying "off the reservation" is equivalent to "ripe for lynching" pretty much (I'm not from the US but our treatment of indigenous people is not much better).

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a remarkable result, I wouldn't have expected such a difference. I see the original post was a while back, I don't suppose you remember feeling the vibration with your hand on the timber shelf?
I remember feeling vibrations on the table top, no matter which dampener was being used, if that helps.

That was an interesting read, thanks. I hadn't thought much about that history, somewhat eye opening. So saying "off the reservation" is equivalent to "ripe for lynching" pretty much (I'm not from the US but our treatment of indigenous people is not much better).
Exactly. And I brought it up in case people weren't aware of what the phrase is actually referring to. Some people could care less that a group of people were relieved of their land, forced to live on reservations, and told to adopt a new culture and religion - I mean, it's just an expression, what's the big deal.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Exactly. And I brought it up in case people weren't aware of what the phrase is actually referring to. Some people could care less that a group of people were relieved of their land, forced to live on reservations, and told to adopt a new culture and religion - I mean, it's just an expression, what's the big deal.

So you are of native American Indian descent? Or just another virtue-signalling woke warrior?

Trell

Major Contributor

There are posters of many different mother tongues on ASR so it's likely to be comments that could be interpreted differently than intended, even among posters with the same mother tongue.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
And I brought it up in case people weren't aware of what the phrase is actually referring to. Some people could care less that a group of people were relieved of their land, forced to live on reservations, and told to adopt a new culture and religion - I mean, it's just an expression, what's the big deal.

Can we please just...not?

Let's not make this that kind of place.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regarding hard vs. soft coupling, you should measure distortion. Transfer of vibration may lead to audible distortion which I gave one example of in another thread.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember feeling vibrations on the table top, no matter which dampener was being used, if that helps.

As another post already said, just please stop with nonsense. I am native american or indian whichever you choose to call me, none of this stuff you or others may say offends me in the slightest. Please stop falling into the trap politicians and the media uses to divide us. While I was in the military, I was called chief all the time, it never bothered me, if anything i felt some pride.
This is a forum with people of from all backgrounds and sooner or later someone is going to say something someone doesn't like, but if you can't handle it without be offended, then one needs to look at him or herself 's own underlying issues.
Anyways, let people say what they want, don't be the grammar or political warrior police. Life's tough enough without this individual petty nonsense.
So you are of native American Indian descent? Or just another virtue-signalling woke warrior?
Well said and thank you john for calling out nonsense.
Can we please just...not?

Let's not make this that kind of place.
Amen Woody, let the politicians and media play that game. Hope you understand my reply above to the poster. I did not mean to detract from the thread, sometimes things need to be addressed in order to shut it down.

Momotaro

As another post already said, just please stop with nonsense. I am native american or indian whichever you choose to call me, none of this stuff you or others may say offends me in the slightest. Please stop falling into the trap politicians and the media uses to divide us. While I was in the military, I was called chief all the time, it never bothered me, if anything i felt some pride.
This is a forum with people of from all backgrounds and sooner or later someone is going to say something someone doesn't like, but if you can't handle it without be offended, then one needs to look at him or herself 's own underlying issues.
Anyways, let people say what they want, don't be the grammar or political warrior police. Life's tough enough without this individual petty nonsense.

Well said and thank you john for calling out nonsense.

Amen Woody, let the politicians and media play that game. Hope you understand my reply above to the poster. I did not mean to detract from the thread, sometimes things need to be addressed in order to shut it down.
@preload's original post was neutral and informative, which I appreciated.

But back to audio, I'd be interested to see more CSD and distortion data on speaker isolation in different scenarios, for sure. @Frank Dernie's input has been pretty informative. I have thought in passing about grounding vs isolation when faced with speaker spikes, thinking about the building structure and other contextual factors is logical.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@preload's original post was neutral and informative, which I appreciated.

But back to audio, I'd be interested to see more CSD and distortion data on speaker isolation in different scenarios, for sure. @Frank Dernie's input has been pretty informative. I have thought in passing about grounding vs isolation when faced with speaker spikes, thinking about the building structure and other contextual factors is logical.
One example. Distortion at ≈130 Hz signal with hard or soft feet.

Coupling vs decoupling.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom