• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effects of 2 vibration isolation devices (waterfall plots)

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There seems to be debate about whether vibration absorption feet can improve the sound quality of loudspeakers. In theory, the overall FR shouldn't change, but resonances that occur in the speaker cabinet or in the room should be reduced, which in turn, should improve some aspect of perceived sound quality. To test whether there were any measurable differences in unwanted vibration, I obtained waterfall plots of a single B&W 805D2 loudspeaker using REW and a UMIK-1. The bookshelf loudspeaker was placed on top of a built-in wood shelf in a small room used as an office. The products used were 4 Vibrapod 2's and 4 IsoAcoustics Orea's. I'm sharing the results in case anyone is curious. Note: I did not correct for 1-3 cm difference in height, but this shouldn't affect the spectral decay, which is what I was interested in.

Speaker with stock tiny rubber feet:
1594932686525.png

Speaker with Vibrapod 2's:
1594932729263.png

Speaker with IsoAcoustics Orea's:
1594932762292.png

Top Bottom