• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-Technica LP-7 + AT VM760SLC advice

ameenb

There is someone selling a Audio-Technica LP-7 with a AT VM760SLC cartridge near me for $900. Hoping to get advice on whether these two pair together well and if it would be a smart upgrade from my current system.

Seems like a good deal considering turntable sells for $800 new and the cartridge sells for $650. Seller says they're in good shape with less than 100 hours of use on the cartridge.

I'd be upgrading from a Pro-ject Debut Carbon with the stock Ortofon 2M Red. I don't love the Red, as it feels like it emphasizes pops and crackles more than other cartridges I've used.

My setup:
Sennheiser HD800s headphones
Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp
Puffin Phono preamp

I mainly listen to Jazz and 60's/70's rock.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AT VM series cartridge comes in three varieties. The top of the series line contact is twice the price of the Microline 740, however the ML is certainly a more sophisticated stylus shape. I presume AT sources their diamonds from Adamant/Namiki, and the difference in price is due to AT's cost from Adamant? I don't understand it, since I'd think the ML diamond would be more difficult to manufacture, and therefore cost more.

As far as whether the total package is a good deal? AT cartridges tend to the brighter side of neutral. I'd certainly think it would sound different than the elliptical Ortofon. You might like that. Tracking is probably going to be better.

The AT record player is your standard belt drive with a tonearm similar to ones I've seen on SL-1200 clones, probably sourced from the same Chinese factory, made to a generic price point. Not saying it's bad, just saying it's not like the old AT arms, the one's made in Japan, back in the day. Overall I wouldn't think the AT would be much better or much worse than the Project record player. Both are unsuspended slabs with a tonearm rigidly mounted to the unsuspended slab.

Top Bottom