• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Technica AT-R70X review

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@aj625 Do you own a pair of the R70x that you can send in to Amir for testing? Majority of the reviews on ASR performed on items sent in by members.
If you're looking for measurements and EQ, oratory has measured them and I am attaching the pdf for your review.

Oratory' R70x review and EQ.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ill give you the only review that matters:

The inner diameter of the pads is too small. They are that horrid hybrid of over ear and on ear. They press on the flappy back bits of my ear cartilage and can be uncomfortable after a while.

They sound great and need minimal EQ and are nice and light. But given the above, they will never be my go-to.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ill give you the only review that matters:

The inner diameter of the pads is too small. They are that horrid hybrid of over ear and on ear. They press on the flappy back bits of my ear cartilage and can be uncomfortable after a while.

They sound great and need minimal EQ and are nice and light. But given the above, they will never be my go-to.
Isn't it sad and truly mind boggling how they could design wonderful headphones but for the life of them not figure out the comfort and dimensions of the earpads. It's not just AT, so many other manufacturers forget that the anatomy of human ears differs

3125b

Major Contributor
The inner diameter of the pads is too small.
I've read that from many people, seems to be the same story as with the small HiFiMAN models where the pad diameter is just a little too small to fit over most ears. I don't know why manufacturers keep doing that, even ones that managed to do it better in the past (like Beyer with the new Pro X models). You'd think they would figure that out after building headphones for decades ...

Oh and as far as I'm aware AT doesn't really sell replacement pads, so the headphones will inevitably sound different when the pads have to be exchanged. Wich is just complete BS for a 300€ headphone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read that from many people, seems to be the same story as with the small HiFiMAN models where the pad diameter is just a little too small to fit over most ears. I don't know why manufacturers keep doing that, even ones that managed to do it better in the past (like Beyer with the new Pro X models). You'd think they would figure that out after building headphones for decades ...
Its odd given their other "wing" designs have bigger cups and pads. These are like a 7/10 version of those physically. I assume smaller drivers

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If memory serves, your ears should be less than 6.0 cm across in order to fit the R70x. Bought a set shortly after they came out and ran into the same issue. Clearly not the right cans for you if your nickname is Dumbo. ;)
I don't know why manufacturers keep doing that, even ones that managed to do it better in the past (like Beyer with the new Pro X models). You'd think they would figure that out after building headphones for decades ...
In this case I always chalked it up to AT being a Japanese manufacturer with SE Asia being their main target market. But Beyerdynamic?!

It really isn't like pad dimensions should be news to anyone. A Sennheiser HD540 II or HD560 from 1991-ish will fit my ears just fine despite having circular earcups. (Humans are such a disappointing species - after all this time of headphones being made, they have yet to evolve circular ears. ;))

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If memory serves, your ears should be less than 6.0 cm across in order to fit the R70x. Bought a set shortly after they came out and ran into the same issue. Clearly not the right cans for you if your nickname is Dumbo. ;)

In this case I always chalked it up to AT being a Japanese manufacturer with SE Asia being their main target market. But Beyerdynamic?!

It really isn't like pad dimensions should be news to anyone. A Sennheiser HD540 II or HD560 from 1991-ish will fit my ears just fine despite having circular earcups. (Humans are such a disappointing species - after all this time of headphones being made, they have yet to evolve circular ears. ;))
Thats my Saturday entertainment sorted then, trying to measure the width of my own ears.....

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats my Saturday entertainment sorted then, trying to measure the width of my own ears.....

If you can handle any more excitement by the time you're done with that, the world Excel championships are this weekend (recommend an ad blocker before clicking)

Top Bottom