• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio processor with digital-out for active speakers and more?

Maab

Hello,

I searched a lot and can’t find anything even close. Before I give up, I thought of asking here, although I realize it’s a long shot…

I have 4 speakers in total, two as front floorstanding full range active speakers (that can be connected direct-digitally), and two small rear speakers for ambiance that connect only via analog RCA. The active speakers can accept digital toslink, coaxial and USB. Is there a processor with digital out that can connect to mains via digital cable, and that can also run rear speakers with analog rca? Is it even possible? Thank you for reading this.
I’d appreciate any input.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Audio processor is a bit vague.
What do you want this processor to do in terms of number and type of inputs, functions, DSP capabilities, etc?

OP
M

Maab

Audio processor is a bit vague.
What do you want this processor to do in terms of number and type of inputs, functions, DSP capabilities, etc?
Nothing other than the usual, music listening, streaming, AppleTV, cable TV watching with basic surround capability. All digital sources. Minimal DSP processing, with quality volume control and room interaction/calibration if possible like Audyssey and Dirac.

TimW

Major Contributor
Check out the MiniDSP SHD, it is the preamplifier I use. It is a 2 in 4 out device with Coaxial SPDIF and analog RCA outputs. All outputs are active at the same time and since it is a 4 out device, the second pair of outputs can be manipulated separately in the DSP settings to create a specific ambience tuning or affect if you'd like.

And if you want similar functionality for a lower price, you could get the MiniDSP Flex Digital and a cheap DAC for your rear speakers.

Last edited:

raindance

Major Contributor
Sounds like you want it to decode surround formats. I know Meridian does this, but don't know if their systems are able to be mixed with other brands.

I also suspect you could hack something together using HDMI audio extractors.

OP
M

Maab

Thank you for sharing ideas.
I like the MiniDSP, but it would still be challenging to do surround sound with, as it is still fundamentally a stereo component. I’m surprised that in 2023 there is no available options, at reasonable price anyway.

Top Bottom