• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't think ATC has a Klippel NFS, just a simpler Klippel system for quality checks for drivers and another one for finished speakers. I don't see why they or any other speaker manufacturer would need a full-blown NFS as most measurements must have been done individually while developing the loudspeakers. The things left to do are just the quality check of individual components and drivers, and finally, make sure no problems have slipped through to the finished speakers.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Mightn’t they be quite useful for designing loudspeakers?
Keith

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Eckerslad

Does anyone know of a Klippel NFS measurement service in the UK? I can’t find anything on Google - I’m surprised it’s not the kind of thing offered at Universities for example. Perhaps British speaker manufacturers just don’t believe in Spinoramas…

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am not sure UK manufacturers will have even heard of the NFS.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know of a Klippel NFS measurement service in the UK? I can’t find anything on Google - I’m surprised it’s not the kind of thing offered at Universities for example. Perhaps British speaker manufacturers just don’t believe in Spinoramas…
There’s probably lots of anechoic chambers in the UK though…more than one way to skin a cat.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith

What else besides design would the Klippel NFS be useful for? The industry doesn't require accurate measurements be furnished to the consumer.

Let's be clear, this is a piece of equipment that is currently owned and operated by more than one youtuber.

It's superior to an anechoic chamber at capturing LF resonances and requires no frequency dependent splicing between nearfield, farfield, HF and LF measurements. An anechoic chamber is really an inferior solution for loudspeaker measurement.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I know 617 it was meant to be a satirical response to @goat76
‘I don't think ATC has a Klippel NFS, just a simpler Klippel system for quality checks for drivers and another one for finished speakers. I don't see why they or any other speaker manufacturer would need a full-blown NFS as most measurements must have been done individually while developing the loudspeakers. The things left to do are just the quality check of individual components and drivers, and finally, make sure no problems have slipped through to the finished speakers.’

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me this all comes down to David Gilmour being uncool

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I guess eggs will help them buy that NFS after all:
ATC staff can buy half a dozen of Gloucestershire’s finest organic free range eggs for £1.30… and with Sainos charging £2.15 last time I checked, that seems like an eggs-ellent deal (ouch!)
ATC-Chickens-1024x737.jpg

goat76

Major Contributor
Keith

Sorry, I don't understand what is “satirical” in your response, it can be a language barrier on my part and now there is talk about eggs and I’m totally lost now, but anyway… :)

I can see why an NFS is handy for someone like Amir to get the full measurement suite of a speaker in one go. But for manufacturers developing speakers, they only need the specific data that supports what is currently developed at any given time of the development, they hardly need to see the full spin throughout every single stage of the development.

At least ATC is listed on the Klippel website, I don't see your favorite speaker brands there at all but I’m sure they also use something to measure the performance during the developing their speakers. Klippel is not the only one making tools for measurements. :)

Are there any speaker manufacturers out there who are using a Klippel NFS for the development stage of their speakers?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any speaker manufacturers out there who are using a Klippel NFS for the development stage of their speakers?
Ascend Acoustics does and for an extra fee you can even get a spin for you individual samples, see exemplary here:

Also Fink Audio who develops loudspeakers for some external and own brands seems to have acquired one:

Am sure there exist more and in the future the list will grow as its a great tool which helps improving the speed and precision of measurements.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they haven't invested in a klippel yet , but many have very large and expensive anechoic chamber so they have a sunken cost already so they use that .
I bet that when this up for renovation or the space is needed for other stuff , they get an NFS for 1/100 of the price of giant building :)

But they sure use a similar set of measurtment as the spinorama afiak the last decade there have been a standard to adhear to , that's the difference .
So everyone can if they please publish comparable measurements that can be interpreted by the potential user ( thats also why they don't )

Progresive speaker manufacturers have already since long used spinorama type of measurments judging dispersion patterns lobing and other stuff the speaker does off axis to fine tune crossovers and such.

But they may not been using a specific product from klippel . There may be competitors in this space ? or there will be in the future , who knows ?

We may be a bit sloppy with language and Klippel=Spinorama there are more ways to do this .

What's more important is the actual research behind the spinorama ( which is only one outcome from the research ) the preferred of axis behavior the research suggests.
The important thing for a manufacturer is to understand how the speaker works in a room and with human listeners . Not simply put on some fav audiophile tunes and fidle from that , but design outside of the circle of confusions so that you know that the speakers works with future not even heard records.
The goal is to get where electronics are we know some stuff are neutral and transparent and why.

Top Bottom