• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

goat76

Major Contributor
They probably had to wait until the veneered speaker cabinets were shipped from China to the UK.

All the cabinets are made in UK. Most of them are made by ATC themselves and the curved ones are outsourced to a small furniture maker in UK.

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Can ATC speakers be described as “Made in the UK?” Are cabinets, crossover and drivers all made in the UK?

All our drivers, electronics and the majority of our professional cabinets are hand built in our factory here in Stroud. Our classic series, tower series and higher volume pro loudspeaker cabinets are manufactured in the UK by a small furniture manufacturing workshop. The entry series cabinets are manufactured abroad, but again by a small independent furniture manufacturer. The drive units are then installed here along with all the other products.

goat76

Major Contributor
Are you sure about this?

I read that somewhere but now I found information that they use a cabinet manufacturer in Germany. :)

But China, where does that information come from, maybe someone took that for granted when ATC says it’s manufactured “abroad”?

Last edited:

574stereo

ATC now have a dedicated UK based cabinet manufacturer. Also, seeing some of the guesstimates about how many speakers ATC are making in this thread are incredibly wrong. Most of them out by a factor of more than 10.

I sense a degree of dismissal towards ATC on this forum. The fact of the matter is, they're more or less the most popular choice of speaker in almost all studio (many of which are to be frank, rather cash strapped most of the time). Genelec, Neumann, Adam, PMC etc have all done the rounds and can also be found alongside ATCs, but SCM25s or increasingly 45s have become the industry standard monitor in the UK for a good reason.

I'm unashamedly a fan of ATC speakers but there are plenty of other good monitors on the market though. I've just come back from a tracking session on KH150s. Superb speakers which I rate very highly, would I prefer ATCs to work on? Yes... but the Neumanns are superb especially when you consider the price.

In terms of measurements, I'm still yet to see any trustworthy serious measurements on which this bias against ATC can be justified (aside from the SCM19 mk1 Amir measured, which is admittedly not their crowning achievement). However, there are plenty of examples on this forum (and even in this thread) of in-room measurements and even some off-axis measurements suggesting very good performance.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone seen good measurements for the latest iteration for the ATC SCM7? I'm thinking a pair in cherry would be sweet for the old desktop.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Has anyone seen good measurements for the latest iteration for the ATC SCM7? I'm thinking a pair in cherry would be sweet for the old desktop.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Liya

I am not sure ATC would ‘innovate’ even if they could aren’t they now hamstrung by their own customer demographic?
Keith
It's very likely that ATC acquired competitive advantage early in the life of the market (that does it mean that they were first. The 'first' firms can sometimes make costly mistakes - technological, marketing etc - from which they may never recover). They established benchmark of technical performance, developed relationships with suppliers and customers (reputation), and they maintain incremental improvements (this is the 'innovation' part) in the product lines, while keeping customers happy by providing service and support for most of their products.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I agree, and eve if t they were capable of making a contemporary design, that speaker would make three quarters of their current range redundant.
Interesting though how ‘young’ companies break into a market through innovation and then it seems almost inevitably stagnate.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
eve if t they were capable of making a contemporary design,
They probably are - the designers are no slouches - but what's the point? Their market doesn't want that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hmm what have they actually designed lately ie in the last forty years?
A new tweeter…
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hmm what have they actually designed lately ie in the last forty years?
A new tweeter…
Keith
And greatly improved motor magnets (whatever the SL magnet material is, it's much better than garden variety ferrite, and it isn't a shorting ring), and a bunch of new speakers...

Last edited:

574stereo

Subwoofers with low group delay operating without the use of internal EQ - the PA world has had this for years, it's not been an option in the studio or domestic environments except for a very select few older JBL units.

Nearfield monitors which offer enough SPL for studio use/can take a hammering as will happen in all music environments, are fun to work on and translate very well. Etc

I get the feeling you have bit of a personal issue with the company...

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I get the feeling you have bit of a personal issue with the company...
He used to be a distributor. I’m guessing that the business relationship went sour and now he seems to take any opportunity to bad mouth them. In the grand scheme of things I’m sure ATC are not too concerned about one small retailer and his limited opinion. They are still a going concern, providing employment for dozens of people and monitors for audio professionals making the music we listen to.

Top Bottom