• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are amplifier clicks and pops damaging speakers?

hyperknot

I have an ICEPower 125ASX2 based poweramp, which when I turn it on makes a very slight pop noise. It really is not loud, much more quiet compared to how I'd listen to music even at night.

My question is that do I need to worry about this damaging my speaker, if I turn the amplifier on/off once per day? Or the worry is more about very loud clicks and pops, what I remember hearing from some SS amps from my childhood. But honeslty, I haven't heard any loud click / pop for quite a long time on any amp.

Last edited:

tw99

I have an ICEPower 125ASX2 based poweramp, which when I turn it on makes a very slight pop noise. It really is not loud, much more quiet compared to how I'd listen to music even at night.

My question is that do I need to worry about this damaging my speaker, if I turn the amplifier on/off once per day? Or the worry is more about very loud clicks and pops, what I remember hearing from some SS amps from my childhood. But honeslty, I haven't heard any loud click / pop for quite a long time on any amp.

A small click or pop is nothing to worry about, it won't damage anything.

bigbag34

Forum Donor
Direstraits fan has it right. Change the order in which you turn your gear on and off.

Preamp turns on first, then turn the ICEpower amp on. When turning everything off reverse the order....ICEpower amp turns off first, then turn your preamp off. That process should help

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Turn things on from source to the speakers and off from the speakers to the source. Amp on last and amp off first.
I don't see any source device mentioned in @hyperknot original post, so I will assume the problem described here to be 100% poweramp-related.

(Beside, properly implemented sources should not emit any kind of pop or DC in any circumstances, and turn on/off order should not matter.
This is just bad design. Any such "noise" emitted by a source is susceptible to be amplified by an unknown factor in the poweramp.)

Regarding the specific question here, it depends on the efficiency of the driver/speaker, its fragility regarding excursion, and power distribution (and level of course) of the noise.
Worst case would be a DC noise with a compression driver with metal suspensions (diaphragm fatigue ensuing), but then a simple cap gets rid of this kind of issue.

With a "classic" loudspeaker (passive crossover) there should not be any danger or problem, beside being disturbing.

OP
H

hyperknot

Yes, of course I turn on things in that order. The pop/click is happening because of the amplifier itself.

My speaker is a passive one and this pop is really quite little, so I won't worry about it.

HemiRick

My 125ASX2 does the same thing, small pop when powered up or down. It does not concern me.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, of course I turn on things in that order. The pop/click is happening because of the amplifier itself.

My speaker is a passive one and this pop is really quite little, so I won't worry about it.
It could be a problem if you ever got a more sensitive speaker. I recall using a Schiit Saga in my system in the past. My speakers were 99dB sensitive, and whenever I adjust the volume pot, it was doing some weird stuff and making my woofers excursion to their limit. Looked terrifying just to adjust the volume.

Suffice to say, I'll never trust my gear with Schiit preamplifiers again.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

My question is that do I need to worry about this damaging my speaker

No need to worry when the click is soft !
When you see the woofer moving visibly and hear a loud tick you should be worried and have the amp checked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom