• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers make a pop sound when amplifier is turned on.

Jim3048

Hi, first post
I have a Marantz 6008 AVR connected to a Quad 306 amp which powers my front speakers, 1970’s Heresys.
When I turn on the amp there’s a pop sound. Doesn’t matter if the Marantz is turned on before or after the Quad is turned on.
The surround and centre speakers are powered by the Marantz and they don’t make the pop sound.
Can this damage the Heresys?
Any cheap and easy fixes?

staticV3

Master Contributor
When I turn on the amp there’s a pop sound.
Can this damage the Heresys?
It depends on how loud the pop is.
If it's audible, but not disturbingly loud, then damage to the speakers is highly unlikely.

Any cheap and easy fixes?
Though not plug-and-play (or cheap), you could look into adding the Neurochrome Guardian-86 to the Quad 306's output.

OP
J

Jim3048

It depends on how loud the pop is.
If it's audible, but not disturbingly loud, then damage to the speakers is highly unlikely.

Though not plug-and-play (or cheap), you could look into adding the Neurochrome Guardian-86 to the Quad 306's output.
Thanks, I’ll check that out.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Punter

If this is something that has developed rather than been routine, there may be a failed mute relay in the unit that generates the "pop" sound.

OP
J

Jim3048

I started noticing it about a month ago. I’m thinking it was making a bit of a thump sound before that. It still makes a low thump when shutting down. I guess listening to it everyday I haven’t picked up on the slow change until it has become as noticeable as it is now.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
OK.

The Quad 306 is a pretty ancient design with no speaker protection in the form of delays/muting on power up and power down.
Also, the power switch itself has no suppression caps wired over the switch contacts.

Is the 'pop' common to both channels and is it instant (as in at the same time you operate the power switch) or delayed a little?

The thump as the rails collapse after power off is normal with such a design.

OP
J

Jim3048

OK.

The Quad 306 is a pretty ancient design with no speaker protection in the form of delays/muting on power up and power down.
Also, the power switch itself has no suppression caps wired over the switch contacts.

Is the 'pop' common to both channels and is it instant (as in at the same time you operate the power switch) or delayed a little?

The thump as the rails collapse after power off is normal with such a design.

OP
J

Jim3048

I think it’s only the right channel that’s making the popping sound.

OP
J

Jim3048

I tried it on a different AC power bar and it seems to be okay now. Just a quiet thump. One of these days I hope it’ll occur to me to check for the simplest solution first.

Top Bottom