• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Arcam AVR21 Question

Bill Becher

I have the AVR21. There is a 3.5mm jack called IR Z1 on the back panel.

Here is what the manual says about the input jack:

"The infrared inputs allow the connection of external IR receivers, either when the Receiver front panel IR receiver is fully or partially obstructed or to allow the use of a
remote control in Zone 2. There are two IR inputs on the Receiver, each designed for stereo or mono 3.5mm jacks. Tip is the modulated signal, sleeve is ground.
A supplier of infra-red receivers and emitter accessories and systems is Xantech. See www.xantech.com for more information, or ask your Arcam dealer.
NOTE: The IR inputs on the Receiver are designed for modulated signals. If the external IR receiver demodulates the IR signal, it will not work. Also the unit does not provide power for external receivers on the IR jack, therefore an external power source will be required."

I have not been able to find any "powered" sensors that connect to the IR Z1 jack on the AVR21 as a "powered, . Do they exist? The Arcam support people tell me to get a standard IR remote setup which includes a sensor, connection block, IR repeaters and power supply. BUT THERE IS NO 3.5 MM PLUG TO PLUG INTO IRZ1!!!

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have the AVR21. There is a 3.5mm jack called IR Z1 on the back panel.

Here is what the manual says about the input jack:

"The infrared inputs allow the connection of external IR receivers, either when the Receiver front panel IR receiver is fully or partially obstructed or to allow the use of a
remote control in Zone 2. There are two IR inputs on the Receiver, each designed for stereo or mono 3.5mm jacks. Tip is the modulated signal, sleeve is ground.
A supplier of infra-red receivers and emitter accessories and systems is Xantech. See www.xantech.com for more information, or ask your Arcam dealer.
NOTE: The IR inputs on the Receiver are designed for modulated signals. If the external IR receiver demodulates the IR signal, it will not work. Also the unit does not provide power for external receivers on the IR jack, therefore an external power source will be required."

I have not been able to find any "powered" sensors that connect to the IR Z1 jack on the AVR21 as a "powered, . Do they exist? The Arcam support people tell me to get a standard IR remote setup which includes a sensor, connection block, IR repeaters and power supply. BUT THERE IS NO 3.5 MM PLUG TO PLUG INTO IRZ1!!!
I'm not sure what you're trying to say by "powered" as the recommendation from Arcam is powered via the block. What are you trying to accomplish?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the function of the kit is to receive the IR using the IR receiver of the kit, and resend the IR to your AVR using an IR emitter (place the emitter directly over the IR sensor of your AVR).

xantech.png

OP
B

Bill Becher

NTK
If the kit sensor receives the remote signal and sends it to its emitter what is the point of the IR Z1???

OP
B

Bill Becher

I'm not sure what you're trying to say by "powered" as the recommendation from Arcam is powered via the block. What are you trying to accomplish?
I am saying that the IR sensor can be powered by block. But then how is it also plugged into the IR Z1 jack? Its plug can't be in two jacks at the same time.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I am saying that the IR sensor can be powered by block. But then how is it also plugged into the IR Z1 jack? Its plug can't be in two jacks at the same time.
Instead of using a sensor with adhesive you plug directly into jack instead.

OP
B

Bill Becher

Instead of using a sensor with adhesive you plug directly into jack instead.
Plug what into the jack? The sensor has to be plugged into the block to be powered so it can't also be plugged into the IR Z1 jack. If you just plug it into the IR Z1 it's not powered and doesn't work.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Plug what into the jack? The sensor has to be plugged into the block to be powered so it can't also be plugged into the IR Z1 jack. If you just plug it into the IR Z1 it's not powered and doesn't work.
The IR Z1 jack is an ir input jack, correct? You come out of the block (emitters in the diagram above) with a 3.5mm cable into the IRZ1. I can download the manual to make sure *I'm* not missing something but that's the way I've always done in the past.

OP
B

Bill Becher

It appears that you have to plug the IR receiver into the block and then buy a cable with a 3.5 mm plug on both ends and plug one end into an emitter jack on the block and the other end into IRZ1 jack. That should work but nowhere does it say to get a cable with 3.5mm phono plugs to replace an emitter. This cable doesn't come with the kit. I will try this in the morning.

Everett T

Forum Donor
It appears that you have to plug the IR receiver into the block and then buy a cable with a 3.5 mm plug on both ends and plug one end into an emitter jack on the block and the other end into IRZ1 jack. That should work but nowhere does it say to get a cable with 3.5mm phono plugs to replace an emitter. This cable doesn't come with the kit. I will try this in the morning.
Correct, the Arcam manual states you have both mono and stereo inputs, so whichever kit you purchase get the appropriate 3.55mm cable.

OP
B

Bill Becher

Thanks for the help figuring this out. The trigger male to male cable doesn't come with the kit and isn't mentioned in the Arcam manual. I might have one laying around.

Top Bottom