• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music or Spotify...can't decide

telemike

I've tried both and like both services. The only thing drawing me to Spotify is Spotify Connect on my RPi using Volumio. Spotify Connect is much better than Airplay for streaming to my stereo. Though Apple does have lossless which can Airplay 1 or USB into my DAC. But is lossless or 256K AAC really better than Spotify's 320K?

OP
T

telemike

Spotify offers automatic, low, normal, high, and very high quality with different bitrates for different users by formatting the music as OGG Vorbis format. Following is the full table about all the bitrates that Spotify streaming at.

BitratesStreaming QualityFree or PremiumPlatforms
24 kbpsLowBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
96 kbpsNormalBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
128 kbpsNormalFreeWeb Player (AAC)
160 kbpsHighBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
256 kbpsHighPremiumWeb Player (AAC)
320 kbpsVery HighPremiumDesktop, mobile and tablet

staticV3

Master Contributor
Spotify offers automatic, low, normal, high, and very high quality with different bitrates for different users by formatting the music as OGG Vorbis format. Following is the full table about all the bitrates that Spotify streaming at.

BitratesStreaming QualityFree or PremiumPlatforms
24 kbpsLowBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
96 kbpsNormalBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
128 kbpsNormalFreeWeb Player (AAC)
160 kbpsHighBothDesktop, mobile and tablet
256 kbpsHighPremiumWeb Player (AAC)
320 kbpsVery HighPremiumDesktop, mobile and tablet

Those are the "equivalent" bit rates, not the actual bit rates that Spotify uses, see the link I posted.
Unfortunately Spotify doesn't specify "equivalent"

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've tried both and like both services. The only thing drawing me to Spotify is Spotify Connect on my RPi using Volumio. Spotify Connect is much better than Airplay for streaming to my stereo. Though Apple does have lossless which can Airplay 1 or USB into my DAC. But is lossless or 256K AAC really better than Spotify's 320K?
It's only better if you can hear the difference. Spotify Connect is a pretty big deal to me, as is gapless playback, so I'll keep it until Qobuz comes up with something as good.

OP
T

telemike

It's only better if you can hear the difference. Spotify Connect is a pretty big deal to me, as is gapless playback, so I'll keep it until Qobuz comes up with something as good.

I tried Tidal Connect on the HiFi plan. The thing is one day the IOS app for Tidal went bonkers and lost connection to my libary and was frustrating. Not sure I can trust it so I cancelled the trial.

Spotify and Connect work great.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t 320kbps at 44.1k equivalent to slightly over 7 bits per sample?

I haven’t used Spotify in forever and have no issues with airplay, but all my stuff is Apple. I would probably go with convenience over quality with streaming, but I wanted to say that Apple’s addition of lossless (most music is 16bit 44.1kHZ if not higher) is what sent me to this forum.

I was listening to music on Apple and suddenly noticed it sounded better. I hadn’t even heard of the move to lossless. Hearing the difference got me looking into why, and how I could improve my audio chain.

Reactions: ENG
OP
T

telemike

Apple is 90% there for me. If only they had a "Spotify Connect" feature where I can hand off the audio from my iPhone to the Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio

Zensō

Major Contributor
What kind of issues are you having with Airplay?

OP
T

telemike

What kind of issues are you having with Airplay?

If I'm streaming from my iPhone and I have a webpage with a video, it cuts off Music and plays video. Any app that has audio will interuppt the stream.

Zensō

Major Contributor
If I'm streaming from my iPhone and I have a webpage with a video, it cuts off Music and plays video. Any app that has audio will interuppt the stream.
Gotcha. That’s the good and the bad thing about Airplay. It’s great that you can stream any audio (or video) on the device and control it using the Control Center or even the lock screen controls, but the output is not exclusive. I go back and forth on preferring one or the other. For now I’m using Apple Music through Airplay and wired on the desktop, and also Roon + Tidal/Qobuz (which is exclusive like Spotify Connect). I’ll eventually settle on one or the other.

Last edited:
OP
T

telemike

I'm giving the $9.99 Tidal a try. Wish Tidal had an IOS widget. Tidal Connect works with my Volumio Pi which is good. Just hoping the IOS app doesn't get connection errors I had last week

Zensō

Major Contributor
I'm giving the $9.99 Tidal a try. Wish Tidal had an IOS widget. Tidal Connect works with my Volumio Pi which is good. Just hoping the IOS app doesn't get connection errors I had last week
I didn't like the Tidal or Qobuz iOS apps. It's hard to beat Apple Music if you're an iOS user, that is if you can live with Airplay. Always trade-offs...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spotify if you actually care about music (well curated suggestions and playlists), Apple Music if you care about audiophile nervosa (lossless, hi-res, bit-perfect.etc)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Daniel Elk is a **** so that’s one reason to avoid Spotify, not to mention his refusal to pay artists a fair rate for their music

Zensō

Major Contributor
Spotify if you actually care about music (well curated suggestions and playlists), Apple Music if you care about audiophile nervosa (lossless, hi-res, bit-perfect.etc)
Naw, those aren’t the only reasons. There’s also the user experience if a person is in the Apple ecosystem.

feynman

I like that Apple Music allows me to play different music on different devices at the same time (Spotify Connect switches among one active device). I like that Apple pays the artists more (though I haven't examined this closely enough to know much).

I like Spotify's discovery suggestions, but Apple is certainly not far behind.

Lossless schmossless..I'm old and can't hear like I used to anyway. They both sound great.

Flip a coin?

Top Bottom