• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music or Spotify...can't decide

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apple is 90% there for me. If only they had a "Spotify Connect" feature where I can hand off the audio from my iPhone to the Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio
Why is not possible to hook an old ipad/iphone to the Pi's usb and run apple music from there? Will not be lossless then?
I have the Sonos connect to my amp, and I can use apple music from the sonos app lossless, no airplay.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Why is not possible to hook an old ipad/iphone to the Pi's usb and run apple music from there? Will not be lossless then?
I have the Sonos connect to my amp, and I can use apple music from the sonos app lossless, no airplay.
That’s a fine solution if you don’t need to control the music remotely.

BAE3C29E-E019-4BD4-B727-FF2A2D43BE70.jpeg

Last edited:

feynman

...or an eBay 2nd Gen Airport Express that supports Airplay 2. I see them as low as $10 sometimes.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried both and like both services. The only thing drawing me to Spotify is Spotify Connect on my RPi using Volumio. Spotify Connect is much better than Airplay for streaming to my stereo. Though Apple does have lossless which can Airplay 1 or USB into my DAC. But is lossless or 256K AAC really better than Spotify's 320K?
I use both. For casual listening I found Spotify interface can’t be beaten. Especially the way apps on different devices are synced. For critical listening I switch to Apple Music.

OP
T

telemike

We’ll Tidal Connect is not stable. Suddenly stops mid song randomly in a playlist .

For high res I can use an old phone into my Rotel’s DAC for Amazon HD

For casual listening and exploring I want control from my phone app.

Apple TV 4K is kind of an expensive work around

AirPlay is ok but limitations do become problematic

Spotify Connect is the best method right now

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use both. For casual listening I found Spotify interface can’t be beaten. Especially the way apps on different devices are synced. For critical listening I switch to Apple Music.
I have both. The Spotify algorithm remains much better at providing me pieces I like with any music non_western Classical. Spotify has enhanced my passion for new music. I actually await to be often agreeably surprised and pleased by pieces it regularly provides me. Apple's algorithm does not' seem to be there yet.
As for Sound qualities: From time to time I use Songshift to play Spotify suggested/provided playlist on Apple music where a lot and oftenmsot of the track are lossless.... I am not losing much if anything with Spotify Premium highest quality setting... So I rarely does the Songshifting ...
And Spotify Connect is superior. Simple and reliable... Apple must find ways to develop similar .. I have some Apple devices (iPhone,IPad and Apple TV 4K, for the most part you can play Apple Music but it isn't as intuitive as Spotify connect. Airplay is not as reliable in my experience.

For Classical music Apple, but for anything else? Spotify. I'll have to keep it.

Peace

OP
T

telemike

Other option is a used iPhone or iPod Touch to AirPlay from. But it’s just another workaround

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other option is a used iPhone or iPod Touch to AirPlay from. But it’s just another workaround
The beauty of Spotify is, as long as the devices are on the same LAN, any app from browser to phone to tablet can control what is playing. I don't think you can do that with Apple. I tried and when realised that Spotify can do never looked back. Maybe they have improved shared/remote operation, I don't know.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I've tried both and like both services. The only thing drawing me to Spotify is Spotify Connect on my RPi using Volumio. Spotify Connect is much better than Airplay for streaming to my stereo. Though Apple does have lossless which can Airplay 1 or USB into my DAC. But is lossless or 256K AAC really better than Spotify's 320K?
Apple Music lossless has better sound than spotify. You need good loudspeakers like Genelec or such to hear the difference. Its harder to hear any difference with most passive loudspeakers. Me, being an audiophile cant go on paying for Spotify because its a lossy streaming service. This is 2022. MP3 should be free of charge in my opinion. Apple music also has a bigger library of classical music, so no contest.

The newest fimware has made a MAC laptop a highend streamer. You can use an Iphone as a remote with airplay, or play directly 24 bit 192 kHz material from Apple Music from the laptop using USB digital out. The sound is awesome.

My listeningtests shows that Apple Music and TIDAL has the same sound quality. Spotify slightly worse.

Zensō

Major Contributor
The beauty of Spotify is, as long as the devices are on the same LAN, any app from browser to phone to tablet can control what is playing. I don't think you can do that with Apple. I tried and when realised that Spotify can do never looked back. Maybe they have improved shared/remote operation, I don't know.
With Airplay 2 you can take control of streams initiated from other devices. It works well.

54575DA5-F711-45BB-9B15-C94EC7370EB8.jpeg

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With Airplay 2 you can take control of streams initiated from other devices. It works well.

View attachment 186108
Can you access their playlists? In my experience it only offers transport controls: start, skip, pause... or take over control.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Can you access their playlists? In my experience it only offers transport controls: start, skip, pause... or take over control.
No, it just allows for control, not for editing playlists, etc. I almost always play albums, so I didn’t really consider the need to edit playlists.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it just allows for control, not for editing playlists, etc. I almost always play albums, so I didn’t really consider the need to edit playlists.
Whereas with Spotify there is almost no definition of what is playing from which device. In a party situation, the fun it allows is immense. Everyone can edit the playlist or change the track that is playing. Music is not always a serious critical business :)

Besides, I may be 72yo but I do believe that album is dead, long live the song.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Whereas with Spotify there is almost no definition of what is playing from which device. In a party situation, the fun it allows is immense. Everyone can edit the playlist or change the track that is playing. Music is not always a serious critical business :)

Besides, I may be 72yo but I do believe that album is dead, long live the song.
That all sounds like fun. Being a musician, I feel the album is still very much the definitive way to deliver and consume music, but that’s my personal bias. Horses for courses as they say! :)

Descartes

Major Contributor
Apple Music for me, I am all in Apple ecosystem with iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, MacBook Pro, HomePods! Also they don’t charge extra for high definition Audio unlike Spotify:rolleyes:
Plus I love spatial audio or ATMOS now if Apple would upgrade their interface that would be great

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple is 90% there for me. If only they had a "Spotify Connect" feature where I can hand off the audio from my iPhone to the Raspberry Pi w/ Volumio
Use Shairplay it has Airplay 2

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That all sounds like fun. Being a musician, I feel the album is still very much the definitive way to deliver and consume music, but that’s my personal bias. Horses for courses as they say! :)
I worked with artists all my life, starting my professional life with all the (still) big names around me and serving them. Now it’s my time to have fun with their music. Don’t misunderstand me I wouldn’t dream of changing the order of Wish You Where Here or Bridge Over Troubled Water but I will keep Cecilia by itself on my party playlist :cool:

Top Bottom