• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone with home theater bypass experience (Parasound)??

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also a reason we're so f*cked up perhaps.
Speak for yourself. The US is the least F'd up, imo. Now, I will say, Portland is F'd up real good.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speak for yourself. The US is the least F'd up, imo. Now, I will say, Portland is F'd up real good.
Who else would I speak for? You think you speak for other than yourself? US is quite fucked up in many ways, but in denial about much of it. Portland is fine. I live in Oregon. You?

dougi

I recently went the opposite way. I had a 2.1 stereo system with separates and wanted to add surround, mainly to improve the centre image for the wife who is forced to sit on a couch beyond the left main speaker. Luckily my preamp already had a theatre mode for one of the inputs! As the room EQ in the AVR (a Yamaha) does very little i still use the room EQ in the pre and in the subwoofer as well. At the moment the sub is only being used with the AVR. I can do bass management in the pre but I actually prefer just the mains for music. I may try shifting the sub to the pre and routing all bass to the mains in the AVR then re-routing to the sub. I'm sure this will be trickier than it sounds as I will end up with sub doing <40 Hz but mains doing all of the 40-100 Hz-ish.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
what is your custom XLR splitter? I just use standard XLR splitter cable.
That is when I noticed the anthem sound was degraded , perhaps the antherm XLR output circuit is not as strong as Adcom.

I had some custom XLR's made @ https://pinetreeaudio.com/

So, not using a splitter, the split happens in the cable. As for your comment about the Adcom having a stronger output than your Anthem, I think that may be coming down to what source component you are using? I'm using a Schiit Modius which outputs around 4.5v on XLR, so maybe the extra half a volt is helping to overcome any degradation from splitting the output. I exclusively use my Adcom GFP-750 in passive mode, so the fact that I still can't turn the volume past about 30% is telling.

Tarmack

Don't understand the whole home theater bypass concept to begin with....just seems additional unnecessary gear....
Some people need a preamp with H/T bypass - fortunately my 20+ year old Nelson Pass designed Adcom GFP-750 already had one - this is why I need it in my system:

I use the 7.1 surround outputs from my Oppo BDP-105 for surround decoding - like this:

2 Channel (use only 3 components)
Oppo XLR Outputs -> Adcom Preamp Balanced inputs -> Stereo Amplifier Balanced inputs -> L/R Front speakers

Home Theater (switch on H/T bypass - use all 4 components in my system):
Oppo L/R Front RCA Outputs -> Adcom Preamp HT bypass inputs -> (same as 2ch) -> Stereo Amplifier Balanced inputs -> L/R Front speakers
Oppo-> Center / Surround channel RCA Outputs-> Multi-channel amplifier -> Center / Surround speakers

Oppo BDP-105 Disc / Stream
Adcom GFP-750 Preamp
Bryston 4B-SST2 Stereo Amp
Outlaw (ATI) 7700 Multi-channel amp

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I use HT bypass on my Adcom GFP-750 because it lets me use my Apollon amps to power the front Left/Right for both Home Theater and Stereo while maintaining separate systems.

L/R Pre-Out from Onkyo RZ50 —> Adcom GFP-750 Processor Input —> Balanced XLR out from GFP-750 —> Apollon NCx500

The Adcom remote has a Processor button. When it’s time to watch TV/Movies I just press it and it passes the L/R output from my Onkyo to the amp.

guyp2k

Question about the P5 and Home Theater Bypass, according to the manual, both the XLRs and RCAs outputs are active at the same time, if I read that correctly. What I discovered when leaving the P5 off, I can only get passthrough audio from AVR when I use the RCA outputs and not the XLRs on the P5 and I prefer the XLRs. Is that correct or do I have something configured wrong?

Thanks

Tarmack

Yes, this is as expected since the single ended input signals are passed straight through to the Main and Sub Outputs. Converting these inputs to balanced outputs would require some active circuitry and can't happen if the unit is truly off - but the conversion may work when the unit is turned on.

From the manual: "The Bypass input works by passing the incoming L, R and Sub channels directly through to the L, R and Sub output jacks. None of the P 5 circuits or controls has any effect on the bypassed signals."

Top Bottom