• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone tried a Lusya Fever USB DAC?

OP
V

vext01

Hi,

I bought one of these, so I wanted to update the thread in case anyone else is thinking of buying one.

The device contains an SA9023 DAC, which I believe is respectable.

The sound quality is pretty decent (to my non-audiophile ear). I did a very casual AB test, comparing it to the built-in DAC of my Nokia 8 (whose sound seems comparable to the $15 Samsung dongle DAC) and found that the fever DAC gave sound which has slightly more crisp highs and slightly punchier bass.

Using ATM50X headphones, I find 50% volume is comfortable for listening to music, so it has a fair amount of oomph, but I've not tried anything more demanding.

There was no audible noise floor for me and when I plugged it into my microserver (which has a noisy USB bus) I could hear no noise. By comparison, the Dragonfly Black has a pretty high noise floor, and sounded like crap when used on that machine.

The video linked above, and a few other reviews I found online, all note that the device has compatibility issues. I tried it on several different devices and got varying results:
- Linux machine: works.
- Nokia 8: didn't work at first (see below).
- Kindle fire 10HD: works.
- Several OpenBSD machine: didn't work (but see below).

About the Nokia 8. I managed to get it working by using a powered USB hub, so obviously this device draws a fair amount of current. Something to bear in mind.

About the OpenBSD machines. I spent some time looking into this, as this is my daily driver. The device exposes three USB interfaces (uhid, mixer and audio stream), but they are assigned interface numbers 0, 1 and 3. Because the interface numbers are non-contiguous, this means that the device is not properly USB compliant and this confuses OpenBSD's USB stack (and probably some other operating systems too)? More technical details here. I suspect the Android and Linux USB stacks are somewhat resilient to uncompliant devices then...

So to conclude, it's a nice (and cheap) little device but compatibility may be a gamble due to power consumption and hardware bugs.

r3l1c

I got the first (famous version) and it sounds great and has a plenty of power for my 150ohm hd330 ... The bass is bit too punchy ,highs are great .... Which is most likely desired for most people. In my case of headphones a little too low in middle frequencies but nothing that cannot be fixed with a little eq. Overall, i absolutely don't regret the buy and is miraculously cheap in my opinion. Would buy again and again.

When it comes to compatibility it's bit strange... Lenovo p11 tablet detects it but there's no sound . My Motorola G(20) works fines, cousin's Asus does too, even my Android tv box from china picks it up no problem.

Will probably end up in the android TV box as a wifi radio,when I get a newer box ... and will be my companion on the roads.. coz compared to my phone's built-in jack out( yep is a cheap phone)...it's like coming with a gun to a sword fight.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got this one since 2019. It is great. Just $20 and quite a powerful amplifier. I also hear no noise or distortion. I would be interested in measurements, but guess in the SINAD race it will not competitive, which and the other hand fortunatetly does not seem to be an audible issue. It works without problems with an OTG calble. I also have the respected Hisdizs S9 Pro, which measures great, and do not hear any difference, so I would say a hell lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom