• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone has experience with JBL S3900 and S9900?

bryan0101

I am considering the next upgrade to be one of these 2 speakers.
They are audiophile speakers, but deeply rooted in pro audio methodology.
The 2" compression driver in S3900 vs the 4" in S9900 would probably my biggest consideration.
The price is obviously ridiculous for s9900, and high price/performance for S3900, but if it's endgame setup, it might be worth the stretch.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I spent some time listening to the S9900s in the JBL flagship store at Times Square. The S9900s were downstairs in the theater room. They did everything I want in a speaker. The salesman had it fairly loud (of course), but like a good horn speaker it sounded effortless and realistic. Obviously you already know that horn speakers can be "audiophile", so we don't have to address that nonsense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a side note, the S3900 has a titanium diaphragm, vs the magnesium and beryllium diaphragms used in the S9900. While admitting I have never heard the S3900, my experience of titanium diaphragms for serious hi-fi has not been good. For some music they are ok, but on more sedate music they add a faint metallic sound, like a musical trash-can lid.

FaFaFa

Thank you!
As a side note, the S3900 has a titanium diaphragm, vs the magnesium and beryllium diaphragms used in the S9900. While admitting I have never heard the S3900, my experience of titanium diaphragms for serious hi-fi has not been good. For some music they are ok, but on more sedate music they add a faint metallic sound, like a musical trash-can lid.

OP
bryan0101

bryan0101

I ended up with 4367.
I considered the fact that its a 2 ways instead of 3, the legendary 15" woofer and dual membrane compression driver.
M1 gets too complicated in domestic env, 4367 is living on the edge already.

And until I win the lottery or moving to a retirement home, I do not forsee changing to a different speakers. Its absolutely endgame sounds with 4x ahb2.

I wholehearted recommend, and if anyone around socal area, can drop by and have a listen.

Speakers I had: focal sopra n2, legacy audio focus xd, bunch of high eff wide bander open baffles setup (for SET tube amps).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some fresh measurements of the S9900:

d2FjPTcwNXgxLjg5Nw==_src_73450-jbl-k2-s9900-fot1.jpg

Source and more measurements: https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3754-jbl-k2-s9900#laboratory

grizzog

Looks like I was too late on this thread. I have the S3900 and they are my favorite speakers I've ever had. They have a "thick" (not boomy) presentation that so many speakers lack, and they give substance to music. They are very smooth sounding and have dynamics for days.

Gibsonian

My experience with beryllium diaphragms has been very good. Love to hear the S9900's. Definitely cannot afford a pair!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience with beryllium diaphragms has been very good. Love to hear the S9900's. Definitely cannot afford a pair!
My TAD drivers have beryllium diaphragms. Very natural sounding. On the other hand the Radian aluminum diaphragms we installed in a friend's JBL drivers sound good to me, too. Maybe a touch less detail?

Gibsonian

My TAD drivers have beryllium diaphragms. Very natural sounding. On the other hand the Radian aluminum diaphragms we installed in a friend's JBL drivers sound good to me, too. Maybe a touch less detail?
Compared to poly domes which is all I have experience with the beryllium gave more detail, more air, but still sounds quite natural. Love em.

Top Bottom