• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any suggestion for a Mini Stereo Amp with auto-switching on/off feature?

xcomp666

Hey Guys,

Any recommendations for a mini-stereo Amp (50-100 RMS per Channel) for home use with Auto on/off feature? Basically, I am looking for a small amp that will turn on when receiving a signal from RCA input.\

My goal is running my Rear Surround speaker wireless. Adding a transmitter on my receiver Pre-outs + receiver + mini-amp.

Last edited:

palatin8

Topping MX3 has auto on/off with digital inputs, but not with analog RCA. I have switch sockets for several applications like living room A/V, sleeping room sound and light alarm. But remember, quiescent power of those mini class D amps is usually less than 4 W. Maybe look out for an Infineon/MERUS driven amp like SMSL DA-8s. I just measured a quiescent power of 1.2 watts. A lot of devices, even a WIFI switch socket, might consume more in strandby than such a mini amp powered on with nothing to do. It's just the display light.

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

Topping MX3 has auto on/off with digital inputs, but not with analog RCA. I have switch sockets for several applications like living room A/V, sleeping room sound and light alarm. But remember, quiescent power of those mini class D amps is usually less than 4 W. Maybe look out for an Infineon/MERUS driven amp like SMSL DA-8s. I just measured a quiescent power of 1.2 watts. A lot of devices, even a WIFI switch socket, might consume more in strandby than such a mini amp powered on with nothing to do. It's just the display light.

I am thinking of running my Rear Surround speaker wireless. Adding a transmitter on my receiver Pre-outs + receiver + mini-amp. is there any problem if leave this mini-amp always on?

HemiRick

If its a class D amp they draw very little current when idle. If class A or AB not so true.

palatin8

I am thinking of running my Rear Surround speaker wireless. Adding a transmitter on my receiver Pre-outs + receiver + mini-amp. is there any problem if leave this mini-amp always on?
Haven't tried myself. There will be no problem with current of the rear amp. The question is: will there be a delay in bluetooth transmission? Is it lip sync? I guess you can only try.

A/V receiver pre out + bluetouth sender + rear mini class D amp w/ bluetooth

It has some kind of WAF :)

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

Haven't tried myself. There will be no problem with current of the rear amp. The question is: will there be a delay in bluetooth transmission? Is it lip sync? I guess you can only try.

A/V receiver pre out + bluetouth sender + rear mini class D amp w/ bluetooth

It has some kind of WAF :)
The delay can be compensating using Audyssey settings for room correction. I think so! lol

ribosradagast

You mean like this?

The BasX A-100 includes a standard trigger input and output, but it can also be configured to switch on automatically when it senses an incoming audio signal, which makes it perfect for use in a remote zone.
https://emotiva.com/products/a-100

I've got this and it works very well, if I understand what you're asking for

palatin8

Keep us on the loop.

There will be no RCA analog input on the rear. Lots of tiny class D amps on the market with bluetooth input. Topping MX3 has bluetooth auto on/off. I had issues with smartphone bluetooth connection that wouldn't let MX3 go to sleep. Should not be the case with your A/V receiver, but it will have some standby current I haven't measured. Infineon driven D-Amps (I only know about SMSL SA300 and Da-8s by now) will consume only about 1.2 W when always on but idle. And every other China class D amp with bluetooth won't take more than ~4 W idle.

Last edited:

dezza

Have a look at the Dayton Audio APA150
It auto turns on with rca signal and turns itself off with no signal.
I have two in my home.
One is used for outdoor speakers. I turn it on using my phone.
It is connected to yamaha musicast system.
The amp is away in a cupboard, I never have to go near it.
Unbeatable price too for what you get.

Gyroscopics

Hey Guys,
Any recommendations for a mini-stereo Amp (50-100 RMS per Channel) for home use with Auto on/off feature? Basically, I am looking for a small amp that will turn on when receiving a signal from RCA input.\
My goal is running my Rear Surround speaker wireless. Adding a transmitter on my receiver Pre-outs + receiver + mini-amp.

Have a look at Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 or the lower model 275v2. Both have input signal sensing auto turn on/off feature. It turns on when input signal via RCA is detected and turns off if there's no signal for 10 mins. The input signal sensitivity is adjustable too. I own the 2125v2.

While you're at it, search for this product on Amazon:

HomeSpot Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver Set with APTX Low Latency for TV PC Pre-Paired Wireless Audio Adapter Set

It has the least latency and interference among similar products I've tried. I own it too and use it for the same purpose and goal you described.

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

Have a look at Parasound NewClassic 2125v2 or the lower model 275v2. Both have input signal sensing auto turn on/off feature. It turns on when input signal via RCA is detected and turns off if there's no signal for 10 mins. The input signal sensitivity is adjustable too. I own the 2125v2.

While you're at it, search for this product on Amazon:

HomeSpot Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver Set with APTX Low Latency for TV PC Pre-Paired Wireless Audio Adapter Set

It has the least latency and interference among similar products I've tried. I own it too and use it for the same purpose and goal you described.
Great tip man!
For Wireless transmitter/Receiver, I was planning use this Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5TR 5.8G Wireless Audio because it uses 5.8G connection and avoid 2.4G interferences.

do you think this HomeSpot Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver Set with APTX Low Latency is a better option?

Gyroscopics

Great tip man!
For Wireless transmitter/Receiver, I was planning use this Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5TR 5.8G Wireless Audio because it uses 5.8G connection and avoid 2.4G interferences.

do you think this HomeSpot Bluetooth Transmitter Receiver Set with APTX Low Latency is a better option?

I bought mine 2 years ago. There could be better options in the market which use better technology like APTX-HD, LDAC, BT5.0, or UAT.

Prior to the HomeSpot, I used "Dayton Audio Wave-Link WLS System 2.4 GHz Full Range Wireless Pair". That Wave-Link was noisy, had intermittent signal interruptions, and had very noticeable latency. If you already have that WAS-5TR, then give it some trial period and see if the latency is acceptable to you. For movies, latency is not critical. If you listen to multi-ch audio (SACD, DVD-Audio multi-ch) you will get annoyed by any latency.

Edit: As jhaider mentioned, the Parasound Z-Amp is another cheaper option for auto-on/off amp.

Red Sound Man

Great tip man!

I also using the Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5TR wireless audio kit, great product. I think they just released the brand new model WSA-5RP, the receiver already has 2 x 50W class D amplifier built-in can power a pair of passive speakers. Also using the latest 5.2G / 5.8G dual-band wireless audio technology as KEF does, probably you could try that.

OP
xcomp666

xcomp666

I also using the Dynasty ProAudio WSA-5TR wireless audio kit, great product. I think they just released the brand new model WSA-5RP, the receiver already has 2 x 50W class D amplifier built-in can power a pair of passive speakers. Also using the latest 5.2G / 5.8G dual-band wireless audio technology as KEF does, probably you could try that.
Yep! Looks Much more convenient. I will try it and let you know. My only concern , is that 25W x 2 @ 8 ohms power enough to drive my Klipsch R-41M rear speakers?

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will go with a Parasound Zamp for my back speakers (5.0).

Willem

Major Contributor
The new Sonos Amp also has auto on/off. It is a feature that I think all amplifiers should have, to locate them in a cupboard or at least out of sight. As far as I am concerned the best looking electronics are invisible electronics. We have a little Ava Maestro 50 chip amplifier with digital inputs in a bedroom system, and with the auto on/off and a Chromecast Audio as its only source it can sit happily inside a cupboard. This amplifier is a bit anaemic, but that is not a big deal for this use case.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use any amplifier and a 40usd smart power strip. Just use for example your DAC in the master outlet, and when the strip senses it was turned on, it turns on the amplifier slave outlet.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Protection-AV88SATG/dp/B0084PKCGA/

51qMYhYYhIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Or an even smarter power strip (26 usd): "Alexa, turn on the amplifier". :)
https://www.amazon.com/AHRISE-Protector(1680-Outlets-outlets-Extension/dp/B07WGN3X5F/

61MYKBI1k+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom