• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any small USB-powered DAC with high output like the Centrance DAC Port HD?

gn77b

The Centrance DAC Port HD is the only USB-powered DAC that I know of which can power high impedance headphones. I wanted to buy one for a long time and now that I remembered I saw it's out of production and I can't find any used for sale. So is there something similar? I know of battery-powered large ones but I'd like something small. Thanks.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Tanchjim Space measures best on the 4.4mm balanced side, or Soundblaster X1 outputs 2.4volts at 120ohm or higher. I've used the 600ohm Beyerdynamic DT880 with the X1 and it sounded good, but near max volume.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Centrance DAC Port HD is the only USB-powered DAC that I know of which can power high impedance headphones.
My HD600 gets way too loud, even with the measely 0.5V EU Apple dongle.

That makes me think that perhaps you're not sending your audio to the dongle at full volume, hence you need a dongle with high output voltage to compensate.

Anyway, the DAC Port HD can output 4.1V into high impedance loads.

There are probably 50+ dongles on the market with balanced 2.5mm/4.4mm ouput jacks, which can about match it at 4V into high impedance loads.
However, those will require you change the headphone cable to a balanced one, otherwise you'll only get 2V via 3.5mm.

If you have headphones with fixed, 1/4" cables, so you need something that can output high voltages even with single-ended 3.5mm/6.35mm output, then the only alternative AFAIK is the Apogee Groove.
It'll play even louder than the DAC Port HD at 4.6V into high impedance loads.

Seriously though. Look into how much voltage you actually need to drive your headphones to your desired levels. It's probably way less than you think.
For example, using my HD600 I need about 0.06Vrms Peak for EDM and at most 0.17Vrms Peak for less compressed, classic rock. 4V or more would be insanity!

Last edited:
OP
G

gn77b

Unfortunately I don't have balanced headphones and I'd rather not mod them. The Apogee seems to be just what I need, thanks!

OP
G

gn77b

My HD600 gets way too loud, even with the measely 0.5V EU Apple dongle.

That makes me think that perhaps you're not sending your audio to the dongle at full volume, hence you need a dongle with high output voltage to compensate.

Anyway, the DAC Port HD can output 4.1V into high impedance loads.

There are probably 50+ dongles on the market with balanced 2.5mm/4.4mm ouput jacks, which can about match it at 4V into high impedance loads.
However, those will require you change the headphone cable to a balanced one, otherwise you'll only get 2V via 3.5mm.

If you have headphones with fixed, 1/4" cables, so you need something that can output high voltages even with single-ended 3.5mm/6.35mm output, then the only alternative AFAIK is the Apogee Groove.
It'll play even louder than the DAC Port HD at 4.6V into high impedance loads.

Seriously though. Look into how much voltage you actually need to drive your headphones to your desired levels. It's probably way less than you think.
For example, using my HD600 I need about 0.06Vrms Peak for EDM and at most 0.17Vrms Peak for less compressed, classic rock. 4V or more would be insanity!
TBH honest I haven't used my AKG K7XXs in a while so I was under the impression that theý're not reaching satisfying levels. My FiiO E10K was lying in a drawer too so I thought I'd give the combo another listen and you're right, it reaches levels above satisying. But when turned a bit up it gets a bit hash and maybe these are the limits of the FiiO. It may very well be that it's this impression that got stuck with me. After getting the K7XX I remember thinking they're a bit underwhelming as they kinda fall apart (well maybe an exaggeration) under loud, complex passages. So maybe they're underamped.

Now as for the Apogee. Looking at power out specs:
  • Max output level: 225mW into 30 Ohm
  • Max output level: 40mW into 600 Ohm
This doesn't add up as the math gives ~5V out on 600 ohms and 2.6V on 30 ohm. What am I missing here?

Vladetz

FIiio KA11
200mW into 32 Ohm

staticV3

Master Contributor
This doesn't add up as the math gives ~5V out on 600 ohms and 2.6V on 30 ohm. What am I missing here?
How does the math not add up exactly?

Max output voltage decreases with load impedance. That's normal for every Amp.

OP
G

gn77b

Such a large decrease in output voltage indicates a very high output impedance which would make its FR vary with headphone impedance. I would expect that an amp either had a very low output impedance or a switch for low/high load.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Such a large decrease in output voltage indicates a very high output impedance which would make its FR vary with headphone impedance. I would expect that an amp either had a very low output impedance or a switch for low/high load.
Centrance specify an output impedance of 1Ω and Amir measured 1.9Ω in his test.

The reason why output voltage decreases so much is that the Dacport HD just has low output current capability, so is optimized for high impedance loads.
Has nothing to do with output impedance.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The TempoTec Sonata HD could power my HD6XX more than adequately, and Amir was satisfied with it with his HD650.

OP
G

gn77b

staticV3
So I'm assuming it's an atypical design because such a large variations with load are not expected with a regular amplifier. Anyway at this size and being USB powered I'm not expecting wonders. And I are we talking about Centrance or Apogee? I was talking about the latter.

staticV3

Master Contributor
staticV3
So I'm assuming it's an atypical design because such a large variations with load are not expected with a regular amplifier. Anyway at this size and being USB powered I'm not expecting wonders. And I are we talking about Centrance or Apogee? I was talking about the latter.
Oh I'm sorry, I got them mixed up.

Amir indeed measured the Groove's output impedance at 21Ω:

So for that model, voltage drop due to high Zo definitely is a factor.

Top Bottom