• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is there a definitive source for specs for motorcycles? Is there a definitive source for specs for audio amplifiers? I
Well considering all motorcycles today are fuel injected and proper tuning for anything other than bone stock
just about requires a dyno, a check with the dealer to investigate what they see and offer, might be a good
avenue to start. I don't follow much any more but isn't there accurate dyno results being offered by the major
bike magazines today?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The great Yamaha SR500 put out about 31 hp.
33 hp AFAIR. I owned one in Germany which officially did put out 27 hp (throttled down for cheaper insurance) but the previous owner had removed the throttling part.

wandulus

Agreed entirely. Motorcycles are intoxicatingly exciting, but to be seduced by speed and power is a sure recipe for disaster mid-term. I see many ride as if it's a video game - but we don't get extra lives. I love riding and I can ride fast (I go on track days regularly), but I have also lost dear people around me. Last one was particularly sad - 30 years old, about to get married... and I think he got his motorcycle because he thought mine was cool and heard about my weekend trip adventures... but even though I told him to take a motorcycle safety training, he got reckless and got killed a month into motorcycle ownership last April... :-(
Really sad, but it's almost part of the game.
I got a rule, that if I'm mad on something, NEVER ride before I get to "usual" state.
A race cars for a while also, and what I learn is that car accidents usually leads to shop time, and bikes to Hospital time (if you're lucky enought)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Probably the first bike I'd buy after winning the lottery...

The second would most likely be an H2R Kawasaki. Or one of the Ducati Desmosedeci race bikes.
Decisions, decisions...
Actually, I would go for the Desmosideci first tbh.
WTF.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably the first bike I'd buy after winning the lottery...

The second would most likely be an H2R Kawasaki. Or one of the Ducati Desmosedeci race bikes.
Decisions, decisions...
Actually, I would go for the Desmosideci first tbh.
WTF.
I'm in line for a Arch.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I currently have two motorcycles. A 2017 Harley Low Rider and a 2015 Honda NC700. I prefer riding the Honda. Upright riding position and it can handle some light off road riding better. The Honda has a Dual Clutch Transmission (automatic) which works very well. Both are stock except for saddle bags I added. The Honda sounds like a sewing machine but still has more than enough power and gets great gas mileage. The NC700 has the gas tank underneath the seat and has a storage area large enough to hold a helmet where the gas tank is normally.

In the past I have also had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Kawasaki Versys-X 300, and a Kawasaki Ninja 300.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Reactions: EJ3

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
A motorcycle with an "automatic" transmission ! ? :facepalm:

I bought it after a severe dislocation of my left shoulder. Using the clutch was too painful at the time so I thought I would try it. Turns out it was great and I still love it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I bought it after a severe dislocation of my left shoulder. Using the clutch was too painful at the time so I thought I would try it. Turns out it was great and I still love it.
One of the reasons I like my e-moto, no transmission at all.

Sacrilege. :eek: LOL

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to ride a Kawasaki 750 triple. It was the fastest thing on 2 wheels back in the 70's. Today, the best 600's could beat it. Today 2 strokes are mostly outlawed.

KMM

I used to ride a Kawasaki 750 triple. It was the fastest thing on 2 wheels back in the 70's. Today, the best 600's could beat it. Today 2 strokes are mostly outlawed.
Death trap back then. Plastic swing-arm bushing, I don't kid you. Engine seriously faster than brakes and chassis.

Prana Ferox

A motorcycle with an "automatic" transmission ! ? :facepalm:

My current ride has a quickshifter, so when you're scooting it's just a quick toe tap up/down and it perfectly revmatches with near no interruption in torque, you can do it leaned over without worry etc. It's one of those things like lean-aware traction controls and ABS, once you feel what they do, you never want a bike without it again.

I still have to use the clutch lever when stuck in slow-moving traffic (which in NoVA is often) and it can be a real bear, my arm can get sore sore sore while the engine tries to roast me. I've done stuff like parade rides around Harley baggers and they seem to suffer even more.

The Honda system uses a DCT so it's not like a big Hydra-Matic. I wouldn't want it on a small bike but on something more sport-tourer sized I can definitely see the appeal.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
After one Harley Softail Standard, five Harley Electra Glides, , a 1967 ElectraGlide Police, four BMW K1600 and one Tiger 1200 now on the Swiss army knife of the bike world
View attachment 348160

I'm pretty sure this is the model of Swiss army knife the 1250GS is:

wenger-swiss-made-giant-swiss-army-knife-k2152-4188569677.jpg

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently have two motorcycles. A 2017 Harley Low Rider and a 2015 Honda NC700. I prefer riding the Honda. Upright riding position and it can handle some light off road riding better. The Honda has a Dual Clutch Transmission (automatic) which works very well. Both are stock except for saddle bags I added. The Honda sounds like a sewing machine but still has more than enough power and gets great gas mileage. The NC700 has the gas tank underneath the seat and has a storage area large enough to hold a helmet where the gas tank is normally.

In the past I have also had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Kawasaki Versys-X 300, and a Kawasaki Ninja 300.
Here is also a big vote for the Honda NX750X. The DCT transmission is an awesome piece of engineering - and it does have a manual mode, of course. I got the Honda while my beloved BMW R1100S is getting all electrical cabling replaced (a very expensive endeavor that shows I still want to always have a traditional bike with zero electronical gimmicks other than ABS - oh and heated handlebars :-D). But you will not believe how great the DCT is until you try it.

My other "bike" -which is almost my everyday transport- is a Piaggio MP3 500, which is a monster in everyday practicality. Even more storage than the NC750X (which has plenty, the BMW R1100S has none unless you wear a backpack or put the sidebags on it which ruin its looks, imo), and enough umph to easily get away from cars. My car is a stickshift, btw. :)

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a miracle you survived that BEAST. I rode one that had been beautifully maintained in the mid 90s. The engine was something else. I was warned to not push it hard in corners because the chassis could be treacherous... :) My friend sold it at an auction after divorce, and Jay Leno bought it for $$$!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Death trap back then. Plastic swing-arm bushing, I don't kid you. Engine seriously faster than brakes and chassis.
Actually, the problem was the headset wore out quickly. The swing arm wasn't so bad. As you say, the brakes weren't so great.

Reactions: KMM
Top Bottom