• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Help Thread - Weird square bump in room (door)

WeBuild4Life

Hi All!

I am going to be building a pair of towers, not sure what yet. But most likely a two way with 4 woofers in each tower, so quite large. The room in question is pretty maliable and I will be putting 4" pyramid foam on every inch of the wall (yes, every inch, bass traps in corner.) I have two questions.

1. Will the 3.5' square which leads to a door do much to the acoustics? I assume if it is awful I can put a curtain there.
2. Following the golden ratio, the speakers are only 5' apart. Should I sacrifice this a little and maybe go to a 1/5 ratio to allow for more separation?

Also the room is ALMOST square, but given the bump and the 11x12 part, I think I am saved.

Thanks in advance!

1676245675221.png

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hi All!

I am going to be building a pair of towers, not sure what yet. But most likely a two way with 4 woofers in each tower, so quite large. The room in question is pretty maliable and I will be putting 4" pyramid foam on every inch of the wall (yes, every inch, bass traps in corner.) I have two questions.

1. Will the 3.5' square which leads to a door do much to the acoustics? I assume if it is awful I can put a curtain there.
2. Following the golden ratio, the speakers are only 5' apart. Should I sacrifice this a little and maybe go to a 1/5 ratio to allow for more separation?

Also the room is ALMOST square, but given the bump and the 11x12 part, I think I am saved.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 264392
Your room is a square so you can only use the golden ratio. If I were you I would get a temporary false wall as you should have equal first reflection points.

Not sure if that will or won’t effect the sound but that’s what I would do.

My room is 12x14 but no hole and using the golden ratio makes everything sound better to my ears. I have not measured though

OP
W

WeBuild4Life

Your room is a square so you can only use the golden ratio. If I were you I would get a temporary false wall as you should have equal first reflection points.

Not sure if that will or won’t effect the sound but that’s what I would do.

My room is 12x14 but no hole and using the golden ratio makes everything sound better to my ears. I have not measured though
I had planned to put a curtain up so it will probably have the same effect as a false wall. The rest of the walls will have foam.

I can move things around. The speakers can sit on the wall with the bump OR the speakers can sit opposite the bump. It really doesn't matter. If I do that, then the first reflect point should be equal in either case as it will be a long the 11' straight wall and the rear wall. Then when it reflects back behind the speaker, or In front depending on how you look at it, it will be foam/curtain so should be fine.

You think the 5' separation is enough?

Top Bottom