• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

And the battle rages on...

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First we had a handful of true believers invading every thread with religious nonsense. Now the grownups are fighting tooth and nail. I find myself scanning for links, because it seems like the only place to learn anything.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I'm doing some fruit tree's pruning and flowers thinning and brushes scalping around the mansion nowadays...it helps. ...And movie/music shopping too.
Trying to unbolt the lawn mower's dual blades so that I can sharpen them with the electric grinder.
I saw some brand new electric guitars (nice looking ones) on sale for less than $500.
I'm looking @ life's main essence...the almost extinct small blue birds in my neighborhood.

Life's balance is in how we spend our time...and always with love and deep passion.
Listening to classical (choral, vocal) music right now; in 5.1 surround...outside with the nature...trees, mountains, birds, lakes, ocean, whales, eagles, tulips, colors, ...
I feel not one ounce of stress, I looked @ nothing that I should not be looking @, I live live in this very instant minute and without anticipating the next.
I dream of exotic white beaches and turquoise oceans with coconut trees bending on the smooth waves...waves of all multicolored origins...wind, water, radio waves, brain waves and ocean waves.

I feel totally contempt in the ancestral descendants of our astral life.

"This is a train...to be born again...This is a train of thought...
Get on the train...to the mystic palace...to the way of light...
to the light in the head...where we can be free...
I believe I've transcended...to be born again...I've transcended time..." - Van Morrison (live @ the Hollywood Bowl)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
This is the place, this is where scientists and meteorites and philosophers met.
This is it; nowhere else is the same, this is the place to be in the moment of our most intimate life's celebrations.
We take the time on our side, we take our time.
We assume nothing, we expect nothing, we speculate about everything...all within...joy of living, experimenting, learning, discussing, observing, analyzing, sharing, googling, looking @ measurements, listening, life's experience and new discoveries...we're alive...today.
This is our time, our place, and we make of it what we want it to be.
We have all the power tools to build anything, anything @ all we truly want. Music is the power, we are the power, we make the music. - Bob (me)

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
First we had a handful of true believers invading every thread with religious nonsense. Now the grownups are fighting tooth and nail. I find myself scanning for links, because it seems like the only place to learn anything.

Tim

Except, they are currently not all grown ups around here. Some clearly are, just as others clearly are not.

Ego is the real, deep down culprit stirring and prolonging audiophile debates, as it sometimes also is in scientific, philosophical or many other disciplines. Especially on the web. Belief systems are just a rationalization shortcut to defend one's ego, something to hide behind. To really be enlightened, one must suppress ego and be humble before one can accept greater wisdom, new knowledge or better information, no matter the field of endeavor.

But, some big egotists really do know what they are talking about. Others unfortunately do not, but their egos compell them to fight just as hard for their own self-aggrandizement.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

fas42

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

TBone

Major Contributor
:oops: damn, not a Deep Purple thread. Carry on ...

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I think we need to invite PeterA to this place, to stem the tide of religious nonsense ... http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ter-Than-Vinyl&p=390365&viewfull=1#post390365

You are pulling our legs, right? He certainly was in his satirical post. Frankly, I think he is mostly a pretty calm and reasonable guy, unlike many others there - and here. But, he has struck me as somewhat lost and disinterested in discussions of audio science and technology in the past. Hey, sometimes, I am, too. But, he would be welcome here if he is interested, which I sort of doubt. Nothing has been in the way if he truly wished to participate here.

TBone

Major Contributor
You are pulling our legs, right? He certainly was in his satirical post. Frankly, I think he is mostly a pretty calm and reasonable guy, unlike many others there - and here. But, he has struck me as somewhat lost and disinterested in discussions of audio science and technology in the past. Hey, sometimes, I am, too. But, he would be welcome here if he is interested, which I sort of doubt. Nothing has been in the way if he truly wished to participate here.

Well, matter of perspective ... I don't think he has much to offer anyone here, unless one can relate to this truly ridiculous posting ...

"Yes. Maybe it is something that has a different name like jitter, timing issues, high frequency glare or distortion. When I experience it, it reminds me of a very high buzzing like a mosquito but at an even higher frequency and I can't relax and become involved with the music when I hear it in a system. Some people are just less, or not at all, susceptible to it. I don't know why. I don't know if it can even be measured. Perhaps that is why some people doubt it even exists, or they proclaim that it does not.

I once suffered from temporary tinnitus after going to a rock concert without earplugs. For two days I had this ringing/buzzing in one ear and it drove me crazy. I'll never do that again. For me, the sensation is similar, but it is a higher frequency with digital fatigue overlaying all the music in some systems. It does not seem to be inherent in the digital format, because I have heard three examples of digital replay that does not have it. So I think it is dependent upon implementation, as Al M suggested.

If digital fatigue can't be measured, and it can't be heard by a particular individual, then it will be very difficult to convince him that you hear it. On the other hand, I do hear most or all of the inherent flaws in vinyl, and I am not as bothered by them. I think it is because in very good analog front ends, most of these issues are more or less addressed.

I wonder which is worse: jumping up in one's seat every time he hears a pop or tick from an LP (a rather funny image) or losing interest in the music or even having to leave the room after half an hour because of listening fatigue?"

How anyone can possibly justify comparing tinnitus to digital glare is beyond me, that crap is best left, and more "appreciated" at WBF.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, matter of perspective ... I don't think he has much to offer anyone here, unless one can relate to this truly ridiculous posting ...

"Yes. Maybe it is something that has a different name like jitter, timing issues, high frequency glare or distortion. When I experience it, it reminds me of a very high buzzing like a mosquito but at an even higher frequency and I can't relax and become involved with the music when I hear it in a system. Some people are just less, or not at all, susceptible to it. I don't know why. I don't know if it can even be measured. Perhaps that is why some people doubt it even exists, or they proclaim that it does not.

I once suffered from temporary tinnitus after going to a rock concert without earplugs. For two days I had this ringing/buzzing in one ear and it drove me crazy. I'll never do that again. For me, the sensation is similar, but it is a higher frequency with digital fatigue overlaying all the music in some systems. It does not seem to be inherent in the digital format, because I have heard three examples of digital replay that does not have it. So I think it is dependent upon implementation, as Al M suggested.

If digital fatigue can't be measured, and it can't be heard by a particular individual, then it will be very difficult to convince him that you hear it. On the other hand, I do hear most or all of the inherent flaws in vinyl, and I am not as bothered by them. I think it is because in very good analog front ends, most of these issues are more or less addressed.

I wonder which is worse: jumping up in one's seat every time he hears a pop or tick from an LP (a rather funny image) or losing interest in the music or even having to leave the room after half an hour because of listening fatigue?"

How anyone can possibly justify comparing tinnitus to digital glare is beyond me, that crap is best left, and more "appreciated" at WBF.
Well it's a guys uninformed musings, as it makes no claims to be anything else I can't see the harm in it. It's the same kind of simplistic mindset we are all guilty of in one walk of life or another..

I for one would rather not see people's posts on other forums cut and pasted in this fashion, just to be mocked.

Why is it important to us? ... People enjoy this kind of self indulgent free wondering, it's creative in a sense and if their is a group of people who enjoy reading it and responding in kind... Good luck to them. They are not doing anyone any harm...

We are not here to be mean spirited! We are not here to mock the uninformed.

Everyone is welcome here to engage in a fun atmosphere, to learn and share knowledge as well as be challenged and hopefully stretched in a stimulating way.

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor

I do not disagree. But, the choice of whether or not he wishes also to participate here is really up to him, not us. He would take a lot of heat here for postings similar to that, no doubt.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I do not disagree. But, the choice of whether or not he wishes also to participate here is really up to him, not us. He would take a lot of heat here for postings similar to that, no doubt.
Well rather than ' heat ' I would hope those with the appropriate knowledge would seek to inform and help the guy to understand what he is experiencing and why. In the spirt of openness and inclusivity this place is all about, or at least aspiring to be.

That's the vision! I hope we all share it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everyone is welcome here to engage in a fun atmosphere, to learn and share knowledge as well as be challenged and hopefully stretched in a stimulating way.
I'm on board there Thomas but I think I'll pass on the "stretched" part. :eek:
rack.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm on board there Thomas but I think I'll pass on the "stretched" part. :eek:
View attachment 1053
I use a vertical rack.. It's carbon fibre for ultimate control. You don't want the wood expanding and going ' too far, too soon' messy!

I used to have the wooden model but once In the middle of re-educating a offender I popped out for a quick beer and came back to a right mess! Humidity apparently! Ruined my fun.

Top Bottom