• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Test Rig

Schollaudio

Hi guys,

What are the better amp test rigs? Is anyone offering ASR style tests in the PA, NJ, VA, MD area?

Might consider getting into amp testing.

Thanks!

egellings

Major Contributor
I recall a test rig in which a power amp fed by a signal generator had its output signal attenuated to the point where its amplitude matched that of the input signal The amp drove a resistive load to near full rated output power. The amplifier's output sample was inverted and summed with the input signal so that cancelation could occur. A bit of delay was added to the input signal to account for propagation delay of the signal through the amplifier. With a perfect amplifier, there'd be no output. With a real-world amplifier, there'd be some residue which could be amplified and analyzed. Maybe David Hafler did that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know a service close to you that does this kind of testing. You can rent Audio Precision analyzer but it will be very expensive. Per above, there are DIY test methods but require knowledge and still some amount of money.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

egellings

Major Contributor
The technique was used to see if there was a difference between the input and output signal, and to display that. I do not know how the residue was interpreted.

OP
S

Schollaudio

I don't know a service close to you that does this kind of testing. You can rent Audio Precision analyzer but it will be very expensive. Per above, there are DIY test methods but require knowledge and still some amount of money.
What do you use? Thanks!!

OP
S

Schollaudio

I've used an HP distortion analyzer for years but that is very limited by today's standards. Someone a short time ago posted a $500.00 unit on ASR that looked pretty good but I can't find the link. I'd like to be able to do measurements close to what is done on ASR but $20 some thousand is way too much for my interest.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I've used an HP distortion analyzer for years but that is very limited by today's standards. Someone a short time ago posted a $500.00 unit on ASR that looked pretty good but I can't find the link. I'd like to be able to do measurements close to what is done on ASR but $20 some thousand is way too much for my interest.

Not sure if this was what you saw, but I have a few of their products and they are great to work with.

Top Bottom