• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier suggestions for atc scm 19v2

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@bassman buying a new amp would seem to me a poor allocation of funds. Those speakers are spec’d at 85dB sensitivity and 108dB “max” SPL. If the specs are accurate, your amp will get them to 107dB.

So long as adequate amp power is available, electronics upgrades are unlikely to produce significant audible benefits (if any at all).

With $2.5k in the back pocket I would look into subwoofers and/or room treatment.

+1. Why do you even think you need a better amp? Getting a sub and an external crossover high-passing the ATCs should give enough SPL.

I have owned the V1 SCM19s and their response starts to drop at around 54Hz IIRC. IME, you really dont want to be feeding these things anything below 80Hz.

ShadowFiend

ATC speakers are power hogging. While they specify the sensitivity of 85dB, based on John Atkinson' measurements of ATC SCM7 v3 & SCM11, it will be safer to assume that the sensitivity will be 83 dB/1W.m. Adding to that is the impedance is drop to 5.5 Ohm, it is by far a low sensitivity speaker. I think you should consider the Hypex NCore like NC400, NC500 to pair with it. Don't use the wimpsy ampifier unless you only listen light music.

Last edited:
OP
B

bassman

The purpose and the goal isnt to increase the spl, by meaning the sound levels. It is to control the speakers better. I tested during the summer an 2x250 20 years old amplifier class ab and the improvement was significant(conpared to nad 2x150). Atc suggests from 75 to 300 watts. I understand that watts per channel, isnt the only technical criterion, that's why i am asking for suggestions. I am very close to a good deal with rotel rb-1590. I will see the hypex you suggest and thank you.

OP
B

bassman

+1. Why do you even think you need a better amp? Getting a sub and an external crossover high-passing the ATCs should give enough SPL.

I have owned the V1 SCM19s and their response starts to drop at around 54Hz IIRC. IME, you really dont want to be feeding these things anything below 80Hz.

It seems that something like the paeasound p5 would be an ideal preamplifier since it has many settings for subs but also for the speakers.....
It has dual crossovers i think.

OP
B

bassman

ATC speakers are power hogging. While they specify the sensitivity of 85dB, based on John Atkinson' measurements of ATC SCM7 v3 & SCM11, it will be safer to assume that the sensitivity will be 83 dB/1W.m. Adding to that is the impedance is drop to 5.5 Ohm, it is by far a low sensitivity speaker. I think you should consider the Hypex NCore like NC400, NC500 to pair with it. Don't use the wimpsy ampifier unless you only listen light music.

Can I have the article of the above measurements please?just for extra knowledge

avanti1960

Bassman,
The ATCs are remarkable speakers and will reward you well with more robust amplification.
The NAD are a synergy miss-match with the ultra revealing nature of the ATCs, something smoother will be advised.
Any Class D is also a miss-match.
I suggest a Parasound HINT6 integrated (270 watts per channel at 4-ohms) and a very smooth presentation that will pair well with the ATCs.
A Parasound a21+ (which I own) would also work well.

I have owned a NAD integrated and power amp and they do not sound as suitable or as good as the newer Parasound products.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief synergy? Class distinctions? Audiophilia anyone?

avanti1960

Good grief synergy? Class distinctions? Audiophilia anyone?
Good grief about what? Try to keep an open mind and you might learn something.
Different amplifiers have subtly but noticeably different presentations. for example Parasound Halo and McIntosh solid state tend to be smooth and burnished and are excellent matches with the ATC speakers which are revealing and studio monitor like in their presentation.
NAD class AB tend to have excellent bass but are somewhat less refined in the upper midrange / lower treble and do not match well with the ATCs.
There are other examples. This is called synergy for lack of a better word, making sure amplifiers and speakers complement each other.
Are you saying that you have not heard the distinctions between different amplifiers?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Different amplifiers have subtly but noticeably different presentations. for example Parasound Halo and McIntosh solid state tend to be smooth and burnished and are excellent matches with the ATC speakers which are revealing and studio monitor like in their presentation.
NAD class AB tend to have excellent bass but are somewhat less refined in the upper midrange / lower treble and do not match well with the ATCs.
There are other examples. This is called synergy for lack of a better word, making sure amplifiers and speakers complement each other.
Are you saying that you have not heard the distinctions between different amplifiers?

Well, lets just say I consider your response a bit silly. Smooth and burnished? Seriously?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RobS

Forum Donor
I'd look at either getting a Naim amplifier (think Supernait 3) or ATC's own class AB amp the P1.

Personally I'd recommend skipping the SCM19 and go straight for a an active SCM20.

Katji

Major Contributor
Crown XLS whatever, or Behringer whatever. Or any less expensive 250Wpc pro audio amp. (You don't want SPL so any distortion/SND of a non-hi-fi amp is unlikely to be a problem.)

OP
B

bassman

Totally agree with pa
Bassman,
The ATCs are remarkable speakers and will reward you well with more robust amplification.
The NAD are a synergy miss-match with the ultra revealing nature of the ATCs, something smoother will be advised.
Any Class D is also a miss-match.
I suggest a Parasound HINT6 integrated (270 watts per channel at 4-ohms) and a very smooth presentation that will pair well with the ATCs.
A Parasound a21+ (which I own) would also work well.

I have owned a NAD integrated and power amp and they do not sound as suitable or as good as the newer Parasound products.

i know the value of atc thats why i want amplification!
i totally agree with parasound and nad since i have tested them both with atc's
i have also tested the xtz edge a2 300 but i felt that power and control wasn't enought but for its cost the amplifier is a great vfm product

parasound hint 6 would be a great choice in case of an intergrated amplifier solution.

so i ended by with rotel rb-1590 since selling nad combo set gave me also the same money for buying the rotel used .

http://www.rotel.com/en-gb/product/rb-1590

now system is

atc scm 19v2
rotel rb-1590
rme adi 2 dac fs
pc/cd transport for sources

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still wondering how the screen name bassman applies with just the current speakers :)

Perhaps he likes fishing? Or to really go out on a limb:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd look at either getting a Naim amplifier (think Supernait 3) or ATC's own class AB amp the P1.

Personally I'd recommend skipping the SCM19 and go straight for a an active SCM20.

Naim falls flat on its hard-toned backside even sniffing at ATC 19's and the previous 20's. The 19's are a mid forward speaker (the cheaper and slightly more conventional 11's don't seem to be) and a Naim will hard clip audibly at not too high volume levels in my experience into this particular model (they're better than they used to be, but the original PA amp roots of the circuit still used are hard to hide imo, no matter how the power supplies are configured!). The passive ATC 20's I once owned (similar bass driver to the 19 I believe) mopped up 100W as if it wasn't there (I know, a subjective comment) and if you felt the weight of the very tautly suspended cone/coil assembly even before discussing the short coil/long gap motor, you'd start to see why (Billy once wrote a paper on this driver I recall, I think for the AES).

Yamaha made some superbly performing pro power amps at not silly money and you know, that cheap Behringer amp as well as the slightly more expensive but still cheap Crown amps would be fine I suspect. As said above, the Purifi based amps (150+W) should be high on the list as it's good old fashioned Watts these speakers seem to like. ATC's own amps do seem to perform very well subjectively at least and I particularly liked the CD player/preamp I spent a little time with some months back before the Covid thing took over here, but you're paying for smart solid clothes too plus a not inconsiderable domestic dealer margin and that will have an impact on the price paid.. Yamaha's cheaper domestic amps may be marginal, but i wonder if the large ones might have enough...

Finally, I have to agree on the active recommendation, but a decent sub may still be required depending on room and listening distance and of course the original curvy cab ASL20 pro's had the similar mid-forward response balance as measured in the original 19's (a group of models were measured in a pdf paper based around the success of the NS10 things once so popular)

Last edited:

avanti1960

Well, lets just say I consider your response a bit silly. Smooth and burnished? Seriously?
yes. all you have to do to hear these subtle yet noticeable characteristics in their presentations is to actually listen to them.

Top Bottom