• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier suggestions for atc scm 19v2

bassman

Hi to everyone. My system includes.

Speakers atc scm 19v2
Sources teac vrds 25x and mac mini with daphile with hi res files
Dac rme.adi.dac 2 fs
Preamp was nad c165bee but replaced by rme
Power amp nad c275bee

So i was thinking about better amplification...some solutions p.e
1.a second nad c275bee for dual monoblocks
2.an atc p2 used
3.a rotel rb-1590 used
4. A denon dcd 2500ne or pma sx1 and selling also rme dac because the y are integrated amps
5.an used electrocompaniet aw 250r

Any ideas?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Why all this electronic overkill for some 3" closed mini-monitors (even if expensive ones)? I mean, I get that the drivers are substantial and chunky, and they'll do very well for what they are, but there are certain physical limits to what a 3" driver can do, no way around that - Doppler eventually gets you if nothing else. Are you stuck in nearfield in a small space?

IMO what you could use is a small(ish) sub or two (perhaps ADAM Sub7 or the like?) for reduced load from about 120-150 Hz down, and preferably some form of bass management. You could shelve down bass level on the RME and bring up sub gain instead, as far as possible, which would no doubt be substantially better than nothing. Budget for a measurement mic, too.

OP
B

bassman

They are 6" not 3.if you did a mistake ok but if you dont know them.....
So you suggest add extra subwoofers instead of a better amp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does any of that qualify as better amplification?

150mm drivers are more like 6 inches than three, tho that lack of bass response is what I'd work on.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially considering your screen name.... :)

OP
B

bassman

2.000 to 2.500 euros max since i have sold nads.
I mostly search for used in this price range

tw99

Since this is ASR, the correct answer is surely a Hypex ncore based poweramp of whatever size you need. Or Purifi if you don't need quite as much power.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still wondering how the screen name bassman applies with just the current speakers :)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Oh. I was already wondering why a 3" midwoofer would require a 19 liter cabinet. So it's a 6.5" class driver with an integrated 3" soft dome. Makes more sense.

I would contemplate getting a sub anyway. 6.5" closed is not exactly the ideal formula for major bass handling, depending on your listening distance and room size (I imagine it would be about the equivalent of some of the punchier 5" class bass reflex jobs), and I bet even this chunky driver would breathe an audible sigh of relief at high levels if crossed over to a sub at, say, 80 Hz or so. Certainly seems like a more promising route than pouring money into different electronics, which are fine as-is.

Here's a little IMD test tone I made yesterday. I bet even your ATCs will start sounding "raspy" at elevated but not at all inordinate volumes.

OP
B

bassman

Wondering if subs and stands will be better than a more powerful amp. At least for start...

Now speakers are on the furniture because of babies.... but when i put them on the white chairs they play far better....

OP
B

bassman

Also with rme.adi.dac 2 fs how can i connect a sub....

OP
B

bassman

I'm still wondering how the screen name bassman applies with just the current speakers :)
Dear chrispy i used to own speakers such as cerwin vegan xls 215 or klipsch rf ... now i cant listen at high levels.... but even that 19.s have small woofer... they have 9.5 kg magnet with patented suspension...

Combined with enclosed cabinet the bass is real fast and not boomy.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear chrispy i used to own speakers such as cerwin vegan xls 215 or klipsch rf ... now i cant listen at high levels.... but even that 19.s have small woofer... they have 9.5 kg magnet with patented suspension...

Combined with enclosed cabinet the bass is real fast and not boomy.

What is real fast bass?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@bassman buying a new amp would seem to me a poor allocation of funds. Those speakers are spec’d at 85dB sensitivity and 108dB “max” SPL. If the specs are accurate, your amp will get them to 107dB.

So long as adequate amp power is available, electronics upgrades are unlikely to produce significant audible benefits (if any at all).

With $2.5k in the back pocket I would look into subwoofers and/or room treatment.

BikeSmith60

It is about one's definition of bass. Apparently, you equate "bassman" to mean head banging gangsta rap at at 30hz at 150db, The SCM 19s do not do that. They do however provide a very fast, very textured and very articulate bass response that is literally astounding. They require power and current but one is rewarded for this with the 19s. I also assume you have learned that the woofer is not 3" and these are not mini-monitors either.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is about one's definition of bass. Apparently, you equate "bassman" to mean head banging gangsta rap at at 30hz at 150db, The SCM 19s do not do that. They do however provide a very fast, very textured and very articulate bass response that is literally astounding. They require power and current but one is rewarded for this with the 19s. I also assume you have learned that the woofer is not 3" and these are not mini-monitors either.

LOL nice imagination you've got. Sorry with an f3 of 56, just prefer my bass content to cover more than that. Fast bass, lol.

BikeSmith60

LOL nice imagination you've got. Sorry with an f3 of 56, just prefer my bass content to cover more than that. Fast bass, lol.

Yep, what is even more hilarious is the lack of any and all imagination compounded by an apparent lack of experience and a blinding faith in absolute objectivism at the expense of real-world listening pleasure. Fortunately, we do live in the free Western world so whatever sinks your boat is perfectly indifferent to me.
Secondly, it may have escaped you that loudspeaker drivers produce and project sound waves of various lengths and directivity and these interact with and are impacted invariably by the listening room. Your lament about an "f3 of 56" is indeed a measured result but in fact has strictly no indicative value of a listening experience in a given room, which isn't a SOTA anechoic chamber. Fortunately for ATC, their historic and current success in the professional and domestic markets, notably for the current SCM19 model, did not depend on your personal, subjective opinion.
Lastly, who really cares anyway?

Last edited:
Top Bottom