• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for the KEF LS50s

SlydZ

Steve Guttenburg did a favorable review of the Denon PMA-600NE paired with the KEF LS50. If you are considering an integrated with a phono input, it may be worth consideration. I only mention it because it does have a 4 ohm rating of 70W with a price of $400.

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will keep the XTZ, because I'm really happy with the combination with the adi-2. Of course the Denon DMA600NE would be a better solution for my turntable, but the solution with the pro-ject preamp and toslink output is ok, because the turntable is only a nice to have feature and not for "serious" music listen.

If somebody wants to use the LS50s on desk I can highly recommend the K & M 26772 desk stands ~80€ a pair. The size is perfect for the LS50 and the height is adjustable and they are extrem sturdy.

https://www.k-m.de/produkte/boxen-l...ve/26772-monitor-tischstativ-schwarz-struktur

They are half of the cost of the Soundrise Pro and have the advantage of the adjustment. For now I'm really happy with the solution :) They look much better in real and you can remove the company sticker easily and put the height regulator to the back. They are like the Soundrise Pro a real Space keeper. You can put a DAC under the speaker and to the other side a headphone.

AudioPersona

@SlydZ - Great to hear that you've got your system up and running and that it sounds good. I think your choices are all good ones.

I've ordered the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC which has just come back in stock and I'll report back once I receive it and can do a direct comparison against the Crown XLS 1502.

By the way, are you considering adding a sub woofer to your system? I've been looking around and am considering adding a Bowers and Wilkins ASW608.

SlydZ

@SlydZ - Great to hear that you've got your system up and running and that it sounds good. I think your choices are all good ones.

I've ordered the AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC which has just come back in stock and I'll report back once I receive it and can do a direct comparison against the Crown XLS 1502.

By the way, are you considering adding a sub woofer to your system? I've been looking around and am considering adding a Bowers and Wilkins ASW608.

Thanks :) I think so, too and are really happy with this system. I'm looking forward for you comparison MPA-S250/Crown. The Audiophonics amp looks really interesting. I can image that this amp will fit very good to the LS50s.

Actually I use this system in very small room (office), so I'm really happy without a woofer, propably I will add a woofer later or if I move and use the speakers in a bigger room and not only as desktop solution.

purceller

Hi folks, happy to be here. Lots of amazing knowledge being shared. It is very much appriciated.

I am starting on a journey to upgrade from my Peachtree Nova 125 Integrated --> Kef LS 50's. I really love the sound, but wish to add a network streamer to the mix, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 for examples. Now, I wanted to use the DAC and Pre on the CXN V2, and the Nova 125 doesn't have the ability to run only as as a power amp so I'm stuck. I either have to use the Nova's DAC, or I can use the RCA Aux in from the CXN V2 (analog) and thus loose my ability to use my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable with Pro-Ject Phono S Pre. So I need to upgrade from the Nova 125, and thus looking for a power or integrated amp (to partner with a streamer) and remove the Nova 125. Now, I'd need a phono input somewhere, either on an integrated amp or on the streamer. I own the THX AAA 789 and have an SMSL SU-8 to partner with for headphone use, so I'd like those in the signal path as well. I really appricaited the options you have all suggested here and you've given me a number of amps to research.

I do have a Kef Kube 12b partnered with my LS50's via my Nova 125, and all I can say is I personally am enjoying the paring immensely.

Cheers,
Eric

SlydZ

Hey purceller, welcome!

I had to make a sketch to understand your setup :) Firstofall I'm not an expert, but I don't see a problem to use the Peachtree Nove 125 in your future setup as amp. As I know you only get a problem if you use an amp and connect the output (not preout) to another (integreted) amp. But as I can see the Cambridge Audio CXN V2 is only a DAC/preamp, but it's good possible that I miss a point. I would try if the power is enough. If your aren't happy with the power, you can try another amp, but I think 125 watts per channel 8Ω and 220 watts per channel 4Ω are really worth a try.

For your turntable:

a quick and dirty solution would be to integrate an analog to digital converter (If you wan't to reuse your preamp) or to buy the Pro-Ject Optical Box E, so you can convert your turntable analog singal into a digital. I know, thats not perfect, but I think its practically and depends on your expections on the turntable sound quality. I want to buy the Pro-Ject Optical Box E, but for me the turntable is only "nice to have" and not for realy audiophile listening.

A "clean solution" would be to buy an integrated amp with phono input. I'm not familiar with Peachtree, but the Peachtree Nova 150 would have one. The disadvantage here is, that you can't listen to your turntable with your headphones with this setup in the sketch.

Oh and I forgot the Kef Kube 12b :eek::)

sketch.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I don't see any description of your room size, listening position, desired SPL, or preferred music genres. I have a pair of LS50s in my study as part of a lifestyle system. The room is roughly 1600 cubic feet, and my ears are 90" from the tweeters. My listening SPL averages 72 - 75 dB for most listening (C weighted). I power my LS50s with a Cambridge CXA60, and it provides plenty of power at 60W RMS @ 8 Ohms and 90W RMS @ 4 Ohms rated. I also have a Peachtree Nova 300, and it may sound ever so slightly "fuller," but certainly not enough so to encourage me to use anything beefier than the Cambridge. I wouldn't get too hung up on the LS50s being "power hungry". They do fine with competently executed amps with lower power at lower listening levels.

Lumpy

This link was posted before, seems to be down at the moment, hope this works:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200202124704/https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I've done a few tests before and "new" sounds different to "old", but I end up being subjective, with the idea that I am changing components to make it sound better, but ends up being different not necessarily better, might also be a preference towards one or the other, if this makes sense.

I've had my LS50 paired with a NAD D7050 for the past 4 years, on a good deal, £999 including the dac/amp. After reading this thread and the LS50 review one, it sounds that they are way underpowered, I don't listen loud and found it more than adequate, minimalistic and never thought about changing the pairing.

I don't see any description of your room size, listening position, desired SPL, or preferred music genres. I have a pair of LS50s in my study as part of a lifestyle system. The room is roughly 1600 cubic feet, and my ears are 90" from the tweeters. My listening SPL averages 72 - 75 dB for most listening (C weighted). I power my LS50s with a Cambridge CXA60, and it provides plenty of power at 60W RMS @ 8 Ohms and 90W RMS @ 4 Ohms rated. I also have a Peachtree Nova 300, and it may sound ever so slightly "fuller," but certainly not enough so to encourage me to use anything beefier than the Cambridge. I wouldn't get too hung up on the LS50s being "power hungry". They do fine with competently executed amps with lower power at lower listening levels.

I used to think that - don;t worry about the power as the LS50 sounds just fine at lower power levels.

But that was until I tried something with higher power levels! I went from topping PA3 / IOTAvx SA3+PA3 combo / SMSL S8 (ice 125) / XTZ A2-300.

Only with the XTZ do I think I have reached the capability limit of the LS50, which is rated 300W into 4 ohm.

If asked now, I would say go with big power. It really makes the LS50 come alive, and not just at high volumes - all through the listening range.

stex27

Greetings!

I decided myself for a pair of LS50s. In Germany, they cost only 660€ a pair right now. And now I am at the most difficult part of finding a suitable amp for the speakers.
I am listening mainly in near field. When I don't, listening distance lies at around 4 meters. My taste of music is wide, but I mainly hear techno (both chill and hard) and prog rock (mainly the yes, pink floyd).
First off, I don't care if the amp is integrated or if I have multiple parts lying around. I have enough space for both options. I would not like to spend more than a 1000€
The amp/amp combo should have:
  • phono stage (either built in the integrated amp or in a preamp/phono preamp)
  • digital input
  • high wattage (100W+ 8 ohms) to power the rather hungry ls50s
to this point it's rather easy to find a good amp. Now here's the first question: Since class D amps have that clean polish, they would fit harder acid techno very well, whereas with prog rock a little bit more sweetnes to bring out the e-gitarrs wouldn't be bad. So it's either A/B or D if I'm right? What class would you recommend?
Now the second more difficult point: Since I like listening through headphones, when I don't want to disturb my neighbors, a nice headphone output either on the integrated or the pramp would be very nice. I really would not like to have to buy another Schiit Modi + Magni stack which would cost another 300€. So the amp should preferably have a nice headphone output.

So with all that in mind, I stumbled upon the Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 + Pre Box DS2 digital stack. Have any of you heard them before? Would you recommend them? It's class D judging by weight and size.

Regarding seperate components, the cheapest viable power amp I found was the pro-ject mentioned before. Now buying a preamp from a different company wouldn't make much sense, would it? So I think the Pro-Ject stack is at this price point my only option.

As of integratd amps, there are loooooaaaaaads.

So now I'd like you to correct any mistakes I made in this post, and help me find a suitable amp option.
Thank you very much for your time and help!

I own a SMSL A8. This is an amazing amplifier. You can get how much power you want. The only negative point is no MQA decoding. Pro- ject is decoding MQA . You can combine bot. It's really strange but the Yamaha WX50A has the same ICE Power but cannot sound in the same way. It seems to me there is a lack of power. So go straight to SMSL. You can even consider to give a try su SMSL SA 8 or SMSL Q5 pro . Maybe they are sufficient for yours KEF

Farshad

Can I ask the same question about KEF LS50 Meta? I am looking for a low budget but an acceptable option and am thinking about these three. Do you have any suggestion and thought that can help me choose the right one:

- Combo IOTAVX SA3 + IOTAVX PA3
- Cambridge Audio AXR100
- Musical Fidelity – M2Si

I am more of a Jazz, Classical listener. I am not going too loud. The living room where these will sit is very average size, not very big. I have a Rega P2 turntable (at the moment with a Rega Fono Mini A2D) and a small RPi4 Streamer (using Spotify Connect) with RCA to upgrade in future.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I ask the same question about KEF LS50 Meta? I am looking for a low budget but an acceptable option and am thinking about these three. Do you have any suggestion and thought that can help me choose the right one:

- Combo IOTAVX SA3 + IOTAVX PA3
- Cambridge Audio AXR100
- Musical Fidelity – M2Si

I am more of a Jazz, Classical listener. I am not going too loud. The living room where these will sit is very average size, not very big. I have a Rega P2 turntable (at the moment with a Rega Fono Mini A2D) and a small RPi4 Streamer (using Spotify Connect) with RCA to upgrade in future.

I don't have direct experience with those three components, but I have had good success with other Cambridge Audio equipment. Given the 100W rating for the AXR100, it should have no problems driving the LS50 Meta. You should be aware that the LS50 can handle very high quality inputs with great transparency, so it can grow with a future choice of a higher-end amplifier without being a limitation.

I ran my LS50 with an older Sony receiver for a couple of weeks and was surprisingly pleased with the sound, but the presentation jumped significantly when I started using a Bryston B100-SST. My older Sony was rated at THD 0.09% at 100W, 20Hz-20kHZ into 8 ohms (no noise spec, since it's likely that distortion dominates noise), whereas the Bryston B100-SST is rated at "THD+noise: <0.005%, 20Hz–20kHz at 100W into 8 ohms".

Find a low noise, low distortion (i.e. high SINAD) amp with rated 4 ohm output of 100W or more and you'll have no problems. For reference, the AXR100 is rated at "100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.15% THD".

Of course, moving up to a CXA81 would reduce your noise and distortion floor, but at more than twice the cost.

Last edited:

Farshad

I don't have direct experience with those three components, but I have had good success with other Cambridge Audio equipment. Given the 100W rating for the AXR100, it should have no problems driving the LS50 Meta. You should be aware that the LS50 can handle very high quality inputs with great transparency, so it can grow with a future choice of a higher-end amplifier without being a limitation.

I ran my LS50 with an older Sony receiver for a couple of weeks and was surprisingly pleased with the sound, but the presentation jumped significantly when I started using a Bryston B100-SST. My older Sony was rated at THD 0.09% at 100W, 20Hz-20kHZ into 8 ohms (no noise spec, since it's likely that distortion dominates noise), whereas the Bryston B100-SST is rated at "THD+noise: <0.005%, 20Hz–20kHz at 100W into 8 ohms".

Find a low noise, low distortion (i.e. high SINAD) amp with rated 4 ohm output of 100W or more and you'll have no problems. For reference, the AXR100 is rated at "100 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.15% THD".

Of course, moving up to a CXA81 would reduce your noise and distortion floor, but at more than twice the cost.

Many thanks, Angsty, very helpful. I was thinking the same. My hope is to be able to upgrade in a few years time. Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom