• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for the KEF LS50s

SaladDressing

Greetings!

I decided myself for a pair of LS50s. In Germany, they cost only 660€ a pair right now. And now I am at the most difficult part of finding a suitable amp for the speakers.
I am listening mainly in near field. When I don't, listening distance lies at around 4 meters. My taste of music is wide, but I mainly hear techno (both chill and hard) and prog rock (mainly the yes, pink floyd).
First off, I don't care if the amp is integrated or if I have multiple parts lying around. I have enough space for both options. I would not like to spend more than a 1000€
The amp/amp combo should have:
  • phono stage (either built in the integrated amp or in a preamp/phono preamp)
  • digital input
  • high wattage (100W+ 8 ohms) to power the rather hungry ls50s
to this point it's rather easy to find a good amp. Now here's the first question: Since class D amps have that clean polish, they would fit harder acid techno very well, whereas with prog rock a little bit more sweetnes to bring out the e-gitarrs wouldn't be bad. So it's either A/B or D if I'm right? What class would you recommend?
Now the second more difficult point: Since I like listening through headphones, when I don't want to disturb my neighbors, a nice headphone output either on the integrated or the pramp would be very nice. I really would not like to have to buy another Schiit Modi + Magni stack which would cost another 300€. So the amp should preferably have a nice headphone output.

So with all that in mind, I stumbled upon the Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 + Pre Box DS2 digital stack. Have any of you heard them before? Would you recommend them? It's class D judging by weight and size.

Regarding seperate components, the cheapest viable power amp I found was the pro-ject mentioned before. Now buying a preamp from a different company wouldn't make much sense, would it? So I think the Pro-Ject stack is at this price point my only option.

As of integratd amps, there are loooooaaaaaads.

So now I'd like you to correct any mistakes I made in this post, and help me find a suitable amp option.
Thank you very much for your time and help!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Greetings!

I decided myself for a pair of LS50s. In Germany, they cost only 660€ a pair right now. And now I am at the most difficult part of finding a suitable amp for the speakers.
I am listening mainly in near field. When I don't, listening distance lies at around 4 meters. My taste of music is wide, but I mainly hear techno (both chill and hard) and prog rock (mainly the yes, pink floyd).
First off, I don't care if the amp is integrated or if I have multiple parts lying around. I have enough space for both options. I would not like to spend more than a 1000€
The amp/amp combo should have:
  • phono stage (either built in the integrated amp or in a preamp/phono preamp)
  • digital input
  • high wattage (100W+ 8 ohms) to power the rather hungry ls50s
to this point it's rather easy to find a good amp. Now here's the first question: Since class D amps have that clean polish, they would fit harder acid techno very well, whereas with prog rock a little bit more sweetnes to bring out the e-gitarrs wouldn't be bad. So it's either A/B or D if I'm right? What class would you recommend?
Now the second more difficult point: Since I like listening through headphones, when I don't want to disturb my neighbors, a nice headphone output either on the integrated or the pramp would be very nice. I really would not like to have to buy another Schiit Modi + Magni stack which would cost another 300€. So the amp should preferably have a nice headphone output.

So with all that in mind, I stumbled upon the Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 + Pre Box DS2 digital stack. Have any of you heard them before? Would you recommend them? It's class D judging by weight and size.

Regarding seperate components, the cheapest viable power amp I found was the pro-ject mentioned before. Now buying a preamp from a different company wouldn't make much sense, would it? So I think the Pro-Ject stack is at this price point my only option.

As of integratd amps, there are loooooaaaaaads.

So now I'd like you to correct any mistakes I made in this post, and help me find a suitable amp option.
Thank you very much for your time and help!
The integraded which has been traditionally paired with the LS 50s is the Parasound Halo Integrated. The new model retails for aroun $3k, but there is an earlier version sold in places like Ebay and HiFi Shark for $1500-1800. Either version has an MM and MC phono stage, Hi and Lowpass crossover for subwoofers, a very decent dac, AV receiver bypass, a very decent DAC, and a ballsy 160 WPC Class AB stereo amp. This receiver was the choice of Kef and a lot of their dealers to demo the LS 50s when they were both relatively new product offerings. Stereophile had one rated as a "Class A" integrated. Also has a decent headphone amp, so it really has it all. Good looking as well, particularly the silver one IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
S

SaladDressing

The integraded which has been traditionally paired with the LS 50s is the Parasound Halo Integrated. The new model retails for aroun $3k, but there is an earlier version sold in places like Ebay and HiFi Shark for $1500-1800. Either version has an MM and MC phono stage, Hi and Lowpass crossover for subwoofers, a very decent dac, AV receiver bypass, a very decent DAC, and a ballsy 160 WPC Class AB stereo amp. This receiver was the choice of Kef and a lot of their dealers to demo the LS 50s when they were both relatively new product offerings. Stereophile had one rated as a "Class A" integrated. Also has a decent headphone amp, so it really has it all. Good looking as well, particularly the silver one IMHO.
thank you very much for that recommendation! Looks really promising.
However, the cheapest model I found is available used for 1800€ and that is sadly far beyond my price point :(

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thank you very much for that recommendation! Looks really promising.
However, the cheapest model I found is available used for 1800€ and that is sadly far beyond my price point :(
Check HiFi Shark. It's the most comprehensive listing for used equipment. I've seen it as low as $1200 and with Covid 19 you might find someone who needs the cash. It's really the one to have IMHO, so be a little patient and persistent and you might find one.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you checked out this previous thread? Some good suggestions (mostly power amps though).

Check HiFi Shark. It's the most comprehensive listing for used equipment. I've seen it as low as $1200 and with Covid 19 you might find someone who needs the cash. It's really the one to have IMHO, so be a little patient and persistent and you might find one.

Honestly the specs are not THAT good. You'd get better performance with Purifi and Hypex modules for a lot less (unless I'm misinterpreting the specs). I think there's probably myriad reasons why dealers pair speakers with certain amps, not only SQ.
Screenshot_20200517_110114.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The integraded which has been traditionally paired with the LS 50s is the Parasound Halo Integrated. The new model retails for aroun $3k, but there is an earlier version sold in places like Ebay and HiFi Shark for $1500-1800. Either version has an MM and MC phono stage, Hi and Lowpass crossover for subwoofers, a very decent dac, AV receiver bypass, a very decent DAC, and a ballsy 160 WPC Class AB stereo amp. This receiver was the choice of Kef and a lot of their dealers to demo the LS 50s when they were both relatively new product offerings. Stereophile had one rated as a "Class A" integrated. Also has a decent headphone amp, so it really has it all.
I appreciate your answer, but I'm afraid this is not the good forum. We don't make recommendations based on "Synergy" speculations between two brands. As well as we don't (always) rely subjective reviews... So what are the technical arguments to be sure the Parasound has a "decent headamp" and a "Very good DAC"?
Sorry, it's Sunday "morning" and It looks like I have a hangover.;)
Since class D amps have that clean polish, they would fit harder acid techno very well, whereas with prog rock a little bit more sweetnes to bring out the e-gitarrs wouldn't be bad.
This is total mysticism to me. Class D or AB don't matter, what you need is a powerful amp free of distortion. Period.:)

Since you're living in Germany, you can consider Ncore amps from Audiophonics. Their MPA-S250NC (NC252MP based) will drive the LS50 hands down. Now we have to find a clean preamp/DAC with phono input and good headamp.:cool:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Your requirements of digital input and phono narrow it down when it comes to integrated amps. Checkout:

- Yamaha A-S701, A-S801
- Cambridge Audio AXR100
- Advance Acoustic X-i105

I 2nd the Audiophonics recommendation, however I am unable to find any preamp that meets your requirements that is not the Pre Box DS2 without breaking the bank. Depending on feature requirements, a receiver could also be an option:

- Denon DRA-800H
- Yamaha R-N500, Yamaha R-N803D
- Onkyo TX-8270

OP
S

SaladDressing

I appreciate your answer, but I'm afraid this is not the good forum. We don't make recommendations based on "Synergy" speculations between two brands. As well as we don't (always) rely subjective reviews... So what are the technical arguments to be sure the Parasound has a "decent headamp" and a "Very good DAC"?
Sorry, it's Sunday "morning" and It looks like I have a hangover.;)

This is total mysticism to me. Class D or AB don't matter, what you need is a powerful amp free of distortion. Period.:)

Since you're living in Germany, you can consider Ncore amps from Audiophonics. Their MPA-S250NC (NC252MP based) will drive the LS50 hands down. Now we have to find a clean preamp/DAC with phono input and good headamp.:cool:
First of thanks for the recommendation! Will check them out!
Now, I looked around a little on the used market, and found a t+a pa 1500 r integrated amp for 500€. It also has a headphone output. My father has a t+a pulsar pa1000 and the ehadphone output sounds very good. Even if the amp doesn'T have a good heaphone output I can still just purchase a schiit mgani 3 or something else in that price point.
Now the amp doesn't have a phono stage, so I looked around and am thinking about the rega fono mini or the nad pp4. Both have a usb output.
I also found a used musical fidelity v90 dac for 130€, so 5 €less than the schiit modi 3. @amirm reviewed it and it competes with the topping d50.
Now a beginners question to dacs: Do different DACs with the same measurments sound noticebly different? Or are measurements all that matter?

Last edited:
OP
S

SaladDressing

Your requirements of digital input and phono narrow it down when it comes to integrated amps. Checkout:

- Yamaha A-S701, A-S801
- Cambridge Audio AXR100
- Advance Acoustic X-i105

I 2nd the Audiophonics recommendation, however I am unable to find any preamp that meets your requirements that is not the Pre Box DS2 without breaking the bank. Depending on feature requirements, a receiver could also be an option:

- Denon DRA-800H
- Yamaha R-N500, Yamaha R-N803D
- Onkyo TX-8270
Thank you!
The yamaha is out. According to this post, it doesn't have a good headamp. The other two I will check out and see if I an find info on the headamp.
As of a preamp, in the new market that looks like to be the only option. I also looked at the use market, and found a t+a p1200r for 430€. But then I'd still need a phono preamp and a dac.

carlob

Forum Donor
competent amps are interchangeable, a commodity. Provided that they are well designed they don't make any difference to the sound. Once you are sure it is a competent design pick the one with the features you need in your budget bracket.

carlob

Forum Donor
Thank you!
The yamaha is out. According to this post, it doesn't have a good headamp. The other two I will check out and see if I an find info on the headamp.
As of a preamp, in the new market that looks like to be the only option. I also looked at the use market, and found a t+a p1200r for 430€. But then I'd still need a phono preamp and a dac.

So you don't need an amplifier, you need an integrated with a dac and a phono input.

Eetu

Forum Donor
I also found a used musical fidelity v90 dac for 130€, so 5 €less than the schiit modi 3. @amirm reviewed it and it competes with the topping d50.
Now a beginners question to dacs: Do different DACs with the same measurments sound noticebly different? Or are measurements all that matter?

I would just buy a new Topping E30 for the same €. It has a screen and measures even better. Yes, DACs with good measurements sound the same (meaning: they don't sound like anything=transparent).

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also found a used musical fidelity v90 dac for 130€, so 5 €less than the schiit modi 3.
For 130€, you can buy a Topping E30 new, which performs better than the V90...
So you don't need an amplifier, you need an integrated with a dac and a phono input.
There's also an all in one solution, the SMSL A8. Phono input, headamp, AK4490 DAC, IcePower module... Unfortunately, it hasn't been measured yet. But Usually, SMSL publishes reliable specs.

Last edited:
OP
S

SaladDressing

I would just buy a new Topping E30 for the same €. It has a screen and measures even better. Yes, DACs with good measurements sound the same (meaning: they don't sound like anything=transparent).
ohh, okay. Thanks for telling!
For 130€, you can buy a Topping E30 new, which performs way better than the V90...

There's also an all in one solution, the SMSL A8. Phono input, headamp, AK4490 DAC, IcePower module... Unfortunately, it hasn't been measured yet. But Usually, SMSL publishes reliable specs.
That SMSL A8 looks awesome. But I wonder where's the flaw? DAC has a very good chip, ICEPower, phono input, headamp... all that at a price of 550€? It checks all the boxes

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I wonder where's the flaw? DAC has a very good chip, ICEPower, phono input, headamp... all that at a price of 550€? It checks all the boxes
This is SMSL, designed and built in China, that where the value is. Component for component, It seems like a fair price. The specs are not state of the art, but definitely good enough for anyone. The module produces slightly less power than your requirements (100W/8Ω)... But I'm pretty sure the LS50 don't need that much!:p
The headamp is also no very powerful. Still, as an all-in-one solution, it looks like a very good value overall.

OP
S

SaladDressing

This is SMSL, designed and built in China, that where the value is. Component for component, It seems like a fair price. The specs are not state of the art, but definitely good enough for anyone. The module produces slightly less power than your requirements (100W/8Ω)... But I'm pretty sure the LS50 don't need that much!:p
The headamp is also no very powerful. Still, as an all-in-one solution, it looks like a very good value overall.
HOLY MOLY!!! seems like a go to. but there is one flaw

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you checked out this previous thread? Some good suggestions (mostly power amps though).

Honestly the specs are not THAT good. You'd get better performance with Purifi and Hypex modules for a lot less (unless I'm misinterpreting the specs). I think there's probably myriad reasons why dealers pair speakers with certain amps, not only SQ.
View attachment 63934

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 63934
But he wants something that has a lot of power, has a phono stage, and has a headphone amp, and he has LS 50's, so he may in the future want a sub or two. That why this integrated would be a good match. No question a Purifi or a Hypex would beat it in performnce--that why I own the Purifi Eval1 to use with my LS 50s--but find a better all in one package to check all his boxes for an unpowered set of LS 50s than the Parasound.

Top Bottom