• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier for the KEF LS50s

OP
S

SaladDressing

I would suggest to go with the denon x3600h. It has all the features and measures well. The room correction will bring you one more level up. It retails on Amazon for 900 € at the moment.
THat's a 9.2 AVR though. It has so much features I don't even need.

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
THat's a 9.2 AVR though. It has so much features I don't even need.
Nevertheless, I would really consider it. It has a good amp, a good DAC and good room correction. You also get an awesome price due to the economics of scale. Denon makes and sales many many of these. This is the reason it is so cheap. And having streaming features is also very nice. There is a recent thread here on ASR with a detailed discussion.

I own a denon X2500h in my living room and I love this thing for its sound and its features. And the x3600h is way better.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just an idea... Get a good DAC/Headamp, lots have been tested here. Get a separate phono stage with at least 2V output. I can't make a recommendation because I don't have any vinyl. Get a Schiit Sys. It's a passive volume control with two sets of inputs and a switch. It's cheap. Get a decent amplifier built from Hypex or Ice modules.

OP
S

SaladDressing

So, any news?
I am still gathering some money, but I have narrowed my decision to 2 options:
  1. I look for some used ls50w, for maybe 1200€ or something like that + Schiit Magni Heresy + Topping E30 + Schiit Sys x2 + Pro-Ject Phono Box S2= 1760€
  2. the above mention denon x3600h really looks promising. Besides, when I get a tv at one point it will be usefull. It sells for 800€ so even when I don't like the headphone amp performance I can still connect a magni heresy from the preamp out or get an additional topping e30 too.
Just an idea... Get a good DAC/Headamp, lots have been tested here. Get a separate phono stage with at least 2V output. I can't make a recommendation because I don't have any vinyl. Get a Schiit Sys. It's a passive volume control with two sets of inputs and a switch. It's cheap. Get a decent amplifier built from Hypex or Ice modules.
Yeah but that's the problem again. Schiit Magni Heresy + Topping E30 + Schiit Sys x2+ Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 = 590€. then I have max 500€ for a decent preamp and power amp or integrated amp. so basically the only option is a integrated amp.
BTW is there a decent list of icepower or hypex using amplifiers? I couldn't find one at both websites.
Unbenannt3.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still gathering some money, but I have narrowed my decision to 2 options:
  1. I look for some used ls50w, for maybe 1200€ or something like that + Schiit Magni Heresy + Topping E30 + Schiit Sys x2 + Pro-Ject Phono Box S2= 1760€
  2. the above mention denon x3600h really looks promising. Besides, when I get a tv at one point it will be usefull. It sells for 800€ so even when I don't like the headphone amp performance I can still connect a magni heresy from the preamp out or get an additional topping e30 too.

Yeah but that's the problem again. Schiit Magni Heresy + Topping E30 + Schiit Sys x2+ Pro-Ject Phono Box S2 = 590€. then I have max 500€ for a decent preamp and power amp or integrated amp. so basically the only option is a integrated amp.
BTW is there a decent list of icepower or hypex using amplifiers? I couldn't find one at both websites.View attachment 65508

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's a good option. Or this one as @SaladDressing lives in Europe. A version with XLR inputs available too.

I may have missed something but why 2x Sys? The Heresy has RCA out / pre-amp functionality so why not connect it to power amp & headphones both?

OP
S

SaladDressing

I sadly don't have time to make a diy amp.
That's a good option. Or this one as @SaladDressing lives in Europe. A version with XLR inputs available too.

I may have missed something but why 2x Sys? The Heresy has RCA out / pre-amp functionality so why not connect it to power amp & headphones both?
That Audiophonics one has been mentioned and recommended before.
I haven't seen any reports on using the heresy as a preamp, since it is mainly used as a headamp. Also it costs 135€ while the power amp costs 500€. I don't know hoe the heresy performs as a preamp but I'd say it doesn't really fit a 500€ power amp.

Eetu

Forum Donor
I haven't seen any reports on using the heresy as a preamp, since it is mainly used as a headamp. Also it costs 135€ while the power amp costs 500€. I don't know hoe the heresy performs as a preamp but I'd say it doesn't really fit a 500€ power amp.

But you'd be using two $49 Sys' chained and a $99 Modi..? Sorry don't see the logic :rolleyes:

IIRC the preamp measures as well as the hp side. So should be more transparent than if you'd combine 2x Sys + some other pre-amp (or the preamp section of an integrated amp). Ofc you wouldn't get a remote etc. that you'd get with pricier options.

Edit: so just saying if you're thinking about getting the Heresy for your headphones anyways then try it as a preamp before buying anything else.

Last edited:
OP
S

SaladDressing

But you'd be using two $49 Sys' chained and a $99 Modi..? Sorry don't see the logic :rolleyes:

IIRC the preamp measures as well as the hp side. So should be more transparent than if you'd combine 2x Sys + some other pre-amp (or the preamp section of an integrated amp). Ofc you wouldn't get a remote etc. that you'd get with pricier options.

Edit: so just saying if you're thinking about getting the Heresy for your headphones anyways then try it as a preamp before buying anything else.
That makes sense.
I looked around at audiophonics a little and stumbled uppon the topping dx7s. Would that be better as a preamp than the schiit stack? Dac performance is about the same as with the modi, but headpamp performance sadly hasn't been meassured here. Still would need the phono preamp though.

OP
S

SaladDressing

also what about using the Drop + THX AAA 789 as headamp and preamp (connecting from the xlr-4 out to the rca in) and a topping e30 as dac? would cost 400€ + input switch 50€ + pro-ject phono box s2 170€ =620€. Together with the audiophonics power amp 1120€. A little bit over the budget but if in return performance gets much better? I think it would be worth, would it?

Eetu

Forum Donor
also what about using the Drop + THX AAA 789 as headamp and preamp (connecting from the xlr-4 out to the rca in) and a topping e30 as dac? would cost 400€ + input switch 50€ + pro-ject phono box s2 170€ =620€. Together with the audiophonics power amp 1120€. A little bit over the budget but if in return performance gets much better? I think it would be worth, would it?
Yes, IMO this would be a great setup. Can't see how one could get better performance for the money. And in that case definitely go with the XLR version of the Audiophonics amp (same price).

OP
S

SaladDressing

So here we go, this is the setup as planned:
Hi-Fi_Setup.png

Once I have the money, I will purchase all components and test it!

Thank you all for your kind help! It helped a lot.

simplywyn

I'm located in Toronto, Canada and also in search of a way to power my newly bought LS50's.

Budget, within reason. I already have a HD600 heapdhone setup with a Topping D10 DAC and little dot (also welcoming recommendations to improve this although I believe a SP200 will be in my scope for later this year)

My ls50's literally sit unpowered on my desk and would love to be able to use them.

Any recommendations?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm located in Toronto, Canada and also in search of a way to power my newly bought LS50's.

Budget, within reason. I already have a HD600 heapdhone setup with a Topping D10 DAC and little dot (also welcoming recommendations to improve this although I believe a SP200 will be in my scope for later this year)

My ls50's literally sit unpowered on my desk and would love to be able to use them.

Any recommendations?

I'd probably find an old Adcom amp on ebay. I used one with mine until recently...worked great.

Lawhaus

For what it's worth, my experience with my LS50's: using them with a SVS SB1000 sub and Marantz PM6003 (several generations old) for many years already. I bought the LS50 in the first year they came out.

Recently I ordered a Yamaha A-S701 of which there is a teardown here on ASR. Mainly because many consider it very good value for the money. It has good has measurements and much more power than the Marantz. Everywhere you read the LS50 likes power. So it should have been an upgrade over the Marantz in theory, but for me it wasnt. It surely sounded different: harsher, maybe this is what transparant sounds like? But I didnt like it over the old Marantz so returned it to the store.

I'm now waiting for my SMSL SU-8 to arrive, so I can connect HypeX/Purifi via XLR as a next experiment. Will hook up the sub directly to the RCA's of the DAC. Wondering if I will have the same experience as with the Yamaha :rolleyes: , maybe my ears got too much used to a softer, 'untransparant' sound.

Definitely not all amps sound the same. But unless you're doing direct comparisons, you're probably gonna be happy with any amp suggested in this thread.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve had my LS50s for about a year. I have found unexpectedly great synergy with them and my older NAD C272 amplifier. The C272 puts out 150W into 8 ohms with high dynamic power and is 2 ohm stable. The NAD deals with the LS50 impedance curve quite nicely with ample power to spare. There are several later variants of this amplifier, some of which are integrated. They will typically cost about $300-$400 US, used.

I initially thought I’d want to upgrade my second system amp when I purchased the KEFs, but I have been very satisfied. The KEFs produce better sound with this amp than several previous speakers did. It’s not a perfect amp for every speaker, but it seems to work well here.

https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Data-Sheet-C-272-Stereo-Power-Amplifier.pdf

SlydZ

I'm glad to be here in this forum :)

I have similar plans for my desktop setup and will start from from scratch up. I'm still not sure about the amp. Are the IOTAVX PA3 or XTZ Edge A2-300 powerful enough for LS50s? It would great to have a small amp, if its possible, but thats not the most important thing, if there is a better option.

setup.png

@SaladDressing
I think the Pro-Ject Phono Box E would be a interesting choice for you. So you wouldn't need a switch and a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 and save 100 Bucks. I'm not that happy with that solution, because its a little bit ridiculous to convert the signal from analog to digital and than to analog, but the turntable is more a "nice to have" feature in my setup, so its not that important.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The LS50 requires a fair degree of current to run well. From Amir’s review...

Lowest impedance above 20 Hz is at 216 Hz. Phase angle is high at the same time so that is a difficult load although music energy is also rather low there.

At 40 Hz where a lot of music peaks are the impedance is higher to above 10 Ohm (good). Below it though we dip back down to 5 ohms or less.

The KEF manual recommends an amplifier of 25 - 100W. I’d further recommend an amplifier than can deliver at least 50W into 4 ohms.

Futhermore, if you get an integrated amplifier with a phono input, you can eliminate the phonobox.

Top Bottom