• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp volume goes up and down.

tee

The title basically says it all (but clearly not enough or I wouldn't be posting).

I have an aiyima a07. I replaced the opamps (I know this is seen as stupid, but it was cheap and easy, and I am only just getting back into this hobby) but I am ~95% sure this was happening prior to the change. I use this set of speakers (pair Aperion 4t... which I find brilliant, sound wise and aesthetically) at my computer, so much of the time I am only half paying attention to the music.

The volume does not go up and down while playing. Rather, it will either be at one level, or the other (what is definitely maximum volume, on one hand, or, quite a bit lower on the other). These 2 volumes are steady as far as I can tell (I have not measured but I do not think there is any point to doing so.. I would not be unwilling to do an experiment, but I would be surprised to be wrong).

I honestly have no idea what could be causing this. The aiyima a07 is connected to a subwoofer line outs (svs sb-1000), and the subwoofer is connected to a dac (the topping d10s lookalike: "SQ3"), and the dac to my windows computer. I typically use either musicbee or foobar2000 (I actually would like to move this setup somewhere else, as it's my best sounding setup, and I should have my cheaper speakers in this "distracting" area).

TL;DR: my aiyima a07 alternates between 2 volumes (not quickly, but rather, it will stay at a given volume for hours or weeks). One of these volumes certainly max volume, the other is a good deal lower. The volume levels are steady. I'm not sure what is going on.

OP
T

tee

Also, thanks for having me. I've been lurking on this site off and on for over a year now. I really appreciate all of the information, deference to objectivity (I know we have debates about how much this "makes a difference", but if you don't fall back on things which can be verified by ALL of us, you risk all sorts of problems... this is for another thread though), and the lack of fighting and immaturity which you see on far too much of the internet these days.

Also, I'm not sure which subforum this belongs in, so feel free to move it.

Apologies for the long-windedness.

nerdstrike

I would be looking at Windows for this kind of strangeness, or perhaps an unreliable gain switch somewhere.

Top Bottom