• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp recommendations

antanast

I am looking for an amp to connect my Boston Acoustics A26. I currently use the RME adi 2 dac and also a Cambridge dacmagic plus for my headphones. Would it make sense to use of those dacs and connect them to an amp for the speakers or should I look for an amp with ab integrated dac? Budget is below 500usd.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
You won't get one for that price with a better DAC than the RME, so I'd say, just a straight amp or an amp with a volume control pot and/or remote if that's important to you.

On the cheap side way under $500 US, the SMSL A300 would be a good choice. 2 line-ins, BT, 165 wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms. About $200 on Amazon.

OP
A

antanast

You won't get one for that price with a better DAC than the RME, so I'd say, just a straight amp or an amp with a volume control pot and/or remote if that's important to you.

On the cheap side way under $500 US, the SMSL A300 would be a good choice. 2 line-ins, BT, 165 wpc x 2 @ 4 ohms. About $200 on Amazon.
What about

Marantz PM6007​

Found one second hand but it says 45w x2 at 8ohms and the speakers recomment 10-150w at 8ohms. Does that mean that the amp wont be powerful enough?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
If you want to listen at higher volumes, the Marantz might be a bit underpowered. I only have older Marantz equipment, don't have any from that era. 70s era integrated amps and receivers have more punch than their specs indicate, not sure about the PM series. If a good price, you could always buy it and try it, Marantz stuff can be sold if not your cup of tea...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about

Marantz PM6007​

Found one second hand but it says 45w x2 at 8ohms and the speakers recomment 10-150w at 8ohms. Does that mean that the amp wont be powerful enough?
Yes. That's a decent amp with a decent DAC. 45W is plenty for normal people in normal rooms. It's a good match for your BA speakers. The 150W is the rated maximum, not the recommended power. Small speakers like these will sound very unhappy long before you get to 150W.

OP
A

antanast

Yes. That's a decent amp with a decent DAC. 45W is plenty for normal people in normal rooms. It's a good match for your BA speakers. The 150W is the rated maximum, not the recommended power. Small speakers like these will sound very unhappy long before you get to 150W.
A 100w amp would not be more suitable?

Daverz

Major Contributor

Found the specs on Crutchfield:
  • frequency response 51-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
  • handles up to 150 watts
  • sensitivity: 89 dB
  • impedance: 8 ohms
I'd say these were made for an amp like the Marantz previously mentioned.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

All the above would work great for you. All at least 100 W/ch at 8 ohms.

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It might be for someone but not me.

Every time I've measured how much power I use it's been in low single digits with peaks in low double digits. I went from amps with 36W to 60W to 100W with no difference in sound quality because 36W was plenty. That was with speakers similar to the OP's A26. Very inefficient speakers would require more power obviously.

I think 45W is plenty unless the OP likes their music very loud or has a very large living room. And then they will run into the limitations a small budget bookshelf speaker anyway. Both the speakers and amp are great for more reasonable listening. The options posted above might be good too.

Last edited:
OP
A

antanast

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I also found the Yamaha R-S202DAB available - What your thoughts?

3125b

Major Contributor
We have the 201 at work, it works fine although it automatically shuts off after eight hours.
One thing you must realize is that a class A/B amp with a linear power supply will have a very high idle/low load power consumption.

D

Deleted member 48726

We have the 201 at work, it works fine although it automatically shuts off after eight hours.
One thing you must realize is that a class A/B amp with a linear power supply will have a very high idle/low load power consumption.
That's rubbish. You can't say that. Some SMPS amplifiers have higher idle power consumption than some A/B.
If that's of any concern to begin with (probably not!) one can look at spec sheet idle power.

3125b

Major Contributor
Just because some designs with SMPS are terrible doesn't mean that a transformer power supply won't draw 10-20% of its rated power in idle.
Standby ("off") power consumtion must not be confused with idle power consumption.

In many countries with cheap energy this might not be much of an issue, in large parts of Europe it certainly is.
If the amp runs for five hours per day at lower volume (1W or so output) and draws 40W for that's 73kWh per year vs. an efficient design that draws maybe 5W that's only 9kWh per year (disregarding standby ["off"] power consumption). In Germany one kWh costs 40 cents, so that would come out to saving a little more than 25€/year on that alone.

D

Deleted member 48726

Just because some designs with SMPS are terrible doesn't mean that a transformer power supply won't draw 10-20% of its rated power in idle.
Standby ("off") power consumtion must not be confused with idle power consumption.
No it doesn't. But you stated that A/B will have a very high idle consumption. That's not true. It varies so much in design and bias that the opposite is as much true.
I have an amp with SMPS that draws 60 w idle. Another A/B with toroidal draws 28 w. Another A/B with EI draws 65 watt.

3125b

Major Contributor
No it doesn't.
Yes it does, as long as that transformer is connected to the mains it draws its magnetizing current.
Again, just because some SMPS designs are terrible doesn't mean that that isn't the way to go to save energy. Here is my amp playing at low volume (sorry for the terrible angle, it's difficult to get the meter in there):
IMG_0981.jpg

That's a modern class D chipamp with a SMPS and moderate power output capability of about 90Wpc/4R.
And standby:
IMG_0982.jpg

Your examples vary quite a bit, but they are all terribly inefficient.
The thread starter is looking for a moderately powerful amp and my point is that if he lives somewhere with high electricity prices a class D amp with SMPS (not necessarily every single model out there!) will save a significant amount of power and thus money.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes it does, as long as that transformer is connected to the mains it draws its magnetizing current.
Again, just because some SMPS designs are terrible doesn't mean that that isn't the way to go to save energy. Here is my amp playing at low volume (sorry for the terrible angle, it's difficult to get the meter in there):
View attachment 274624
That's a modern class D chipamp with a SMPS and moderate power output capability of about 90Wpc/4R.
And standby:
View attachment 274625

Your examples vary quite a bit, but they are all terribly inefficient.
The thread starter is looking for a moderately powerful amp and my point is that if he lives somewhere with high electricity prices a class D amp with SMPS (not necessarily every single model out there!) will save a significant amount of power and thus money.
You are right. I didn't remember correctly as the amps I used as examples are not the classes I wrote. Sorry. -I have a lot of amplifiers in different classes in stock.. :facepalm:

BeQuietZen

What about

Marantz PM6007​

If the price is right, go for it. Excellent amp in that price segment.
Measured power is much higher than specified. In this review they measured 2 x 64 W and 2 x 81W in 8 and 4 ohms respectively.
Audio.de have similar results :
Capture.PNG

Other option (that I'll probably chose ) will be Hypex NC122MP based power amp with XLR inputs and use DAC like preamp. :)

Don't worry about your Boston speakers, probably have 4 ohm bass driver and are nominally 4 ohms true load with 85-87 dB real efficiency. Max music power they can handle is not much more than 70-85W, so you are good with any of the amps above. ;)

OP
A

antanast

If the price is right, go for it. Excellent amp in that price segment.
Measured power is much higher than specified. In this review they measured 2 x 64 W and 2 x 81W in 8 and 4 ohms respectively.
Audio.de have similar results :
View attachment 274781
Other option (that I'll probably chose ) will be Hypex NC122MP based power amp with XLR inputs and use DAC like preamp. :)

Don't worry about your Boston speakers, probably have 4 ohm bass driver and are nominally 4 ohms true load with 85-87 dB real efficiency. Max music power they can handle is not much more than 70-85W, so you are good with any of the amps above. ;)
Went for the Yamaha R-S202DAB and sounds half price of the Marantz

Top Bottom