• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp Recommendations for High End Horn Speakers

iFi audio

Audio Company
Hey there,
A little Update:
Bought the DC Blocker = Didnt Work

Read the Review of the new topping PA5 and couldnt resist to buy it. I hope it will be a very good pairing

Greetings
This thread has not been updated for a while. Let us know if you are still struggling with your issue. Perhaps, we could replicate it with our systems and find out what solves it.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Update:
I ordered an Audiolab DC Blocker today, hopefully this will help with the hum.
Of course not. DC blockers reduce the audible hum from the transformer core saturation, not through onto the amp. Of you hear hum through the speakers, you need a better amp power supply.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Horn Speakers are well over 100 db efficient. I recently bought the little Aiyima amp reviewed here, and it sounds awesome.
No hiss? I have that A07 running some JBL Control X in a casual listening setup, seems to work great.

OP
F

FeliZ

Hey there,

I bought an Topping PA-5.
It is dead silent and a very good pairing for the horn speakers.

My beautiful cairn Amp is unfortunately just a Backup now, missing the great integrated Phono preamp.

Greetings

morpheusX

I've bought the Topping PA5 for powering two Beyma TPL-150H, i will report here after testing :)

OP
F

FeliZ

Hey there,

My Cairn 4807 just died. So there was Always this ground Loop Problem with it and now the Fuses burnt through and it wont Turn on.

I tried replacing the Fuses, but the AMP Turns on an instantly Kills the Fuses.

Is it possible that the Transformator is Bad?
Would explain also the hum

I really miss the phono pre of this AMP :(

Thank you
Florian

OP
F

FeliZ

IMG_20220821_113826.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there,

My Cairn 4807 just died. So there was Always this ground Loop Problem with it and now the Fuses burnt through and it wont Turn on.

I tried replacing the Fuses, but the AMP Turns on an instantly Kills the Fuses.

Is it possible that the Transformator is Bad?
Would explain also the hum
It's possible that the transformer is faulty, but I think it's much more likely that the bridge rectifier has has failed. You can test the transformer by unplugging it's secondary from the PCB, then powering it on: If the fuse doesn't blow, then your transformer isn't at fault.

OP
F

FeliZ

Thanks Jeff,

Just tried it out and unplugged the 2nd PCB. Same thing, fuses get blown immidiately.
So the transformator is the problem, the amp had a very bad hum before this happened.

Greetings

LiquidSound

Hi... Regarding low power amplifiers for your efficient speakers, have you considered any of the First-Watt amps ? Of course, they are notably more expensive than those mentioned so far that I've seen in this thread. I have the SIT-2 (10WPC/8-ohms) with my 94 db speakers and soon to have 106 db speakers, and this amp is the best sounding solid state amp I've ever heard on my system.

cicastol

I have the SIT-2 (10WPC/8-ohms) with my 94 db speakers and soon to have 106 db speakers, and this amp is the best sounding solid state amp I've ever heard on my system.

sit2damp.gif

Pretty ****** at looking this distortion/power graph......

"The sound is fast but very smooth, with a very organic, musical character".
ROTFL organic sound .

LiquidSound

sit2damp.gif

Pretty ****** at looking this distortion/power graph......

"The sound is fast but very smooth, with a very organic, musical character".
ROTFL organic sound .
I can certainly see the distortion curve. The real proof though is in the listening. The other descriptions of the SIT-2 in the First-Watt website match my listening experiences with this amp very closely. Interestingly also that the SIT devise itself doesn't hard-clip like other solid-state devices. I'm new to this website. What does your statement "ROTFL" actually stand for ? Thanks !

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good morning can you give me the value of this resistor please?
BR
Gérald
I'm not an EE but I know this:

An electronic color code or electronic colour code (see spelling differences) is used to indicate the values or ratings of electronic components, usually for resistors, but also for capacitors, inductors, diodes and others. A separate code, the 25-pair color code, is used to identify wires in some telecommunications cables. Different codes are used for wire leads on devices such as transformers or in building wiring.

You have a blurry picture, so I can't see the colors, but google around: resistor color code and many links will appear.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-14_152053.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-14_152053.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom