• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp/Dac Recommendations

TechEnthusiast

Looking for a Headphone Amp and Dac for a desktop that will be used for listening sessions while working and for pure entertainment. I had a Zen Can that burned up and still have a Topping L30 (that was heading back to Amazon) for the time being. I like the Topping but it pales in comparison to the Zen Can. I am using the Soundblaster Z card on my PC as a DAC. I experimented with a BTR5 as a DAC but it really sounds no different to me. Looking to spend less than $500 for set-up.

Not restricted to separates/stacks I can do a combo. I did like the look and footprint of the SMSL M500 as an example. Did not like the Zen Can look for stacking, not bad by itself though. I could see stacking a DAC on the Topping and that would work. That's pretty much it for looks but I do think that something like an Emotiva would be too big though.

I don't know if the sub 2-300 would suffice or if there is a a substantial gain stepping up a little. I do realize at some point there will be diminishing returns on amount invested for that tiny difference. I did spend some time listening to Hans B today and that got me rethinking some of my strategies, so I figure you guys here at ASR could help advise. I just want a nice jump from my current set-up into the next level if there is one within my parameters. Will something like that SMSL do that or is it a fantasy? Current headphones are primarily the Hifiman Sundara's. I would like to have minimal, if any, restrictions on headphones for the future.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

I had an epiphany last night while looking at my HT set-up. I have a 2018 Yamaha Flagship receiver running an 11.2 system. The driving force behind it is a clean massive B&K 5 channel amp from 1998 and running the secondary Zones is an Adcom amp from 1988. Finally it clicked, build around a solid foundation. What is your thoughts on a SMSL SP200 or a Monoprice 789 to build around? Or do I need to step up to a Topping A90?
Or I guess I could have it all right now with the THX 788 and update the DAC end years down the road. What do you think?

raif71

Major Contributor
What do you mean by the Zen Can being burned up? :oops:

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

It literarily burned up! It had that burnt electronics smell in my office and sure enough it was dead. Perhaps a bad unit or bad power supply. Crutchfield is sending me another but now I am leery about it. That is what got me to thinking about reassessing this whole process.

raif71

Major Contributor
Currently the Can is my go to amp these days and I would be annoyed if something like this were to happen. Do you have an estimate how long did you let the amp switched on before the mishap ?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I had an epiphany last night while looking at my HT set-up. I have a 2018 Yamaha Flagship receiver running an 11.2 system. The driving force behind it is a clean massive B&K 5 channel amp from 1998 and running the secondary Zones is an Adcom amp from 1988. Finally it clicked, build around a solid foundation. What is your thoughts on a SMSL SP200 or a Monoprice 789 to build around? Or do I need to step up to a Topping A90?
Or I guess I could have it all right now with the THX 788 and update the DAC end years down the road. What do you think?
Get the sp200 m200 stack

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Currently the Can is my go to amp these days and I would be annoyed if something like this were to happen. Do you have an estimate how long did you let the amp switched on before the mishap ?

I smelled the burning odor on Wednesday. Thought that it was the Topping as it was hot. Unplugged both and noticed that there was a an odor more around the Zen but it continued to work after plugging it back in. The next day it would turn on but not play and then it would cut off about 2 minutes later. By the way I called ifi (USA) 800-799-IFIA and got a text back saying "Can't talk, text me" from some random Cali number408-667-7873. Thought I got the wrong number so I texted that I was attempting to reach ifi. Got a response about an hour and a half later "Hi, was on another call. If for IFI issue please text the problem description, your email and name. Thank you" I replied and he soon replied to me to basically return the product without any further inquiries. And it came from customer support since he quoted it. Left me a little concerned about their support system.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
OP
T

TechEnthusiast

correct,but it lots of power for hungry phones
Can you tell me how well they work together? Is the interface with the m200 easy and are there extra settings? Also, how is the range on the bluetooth?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
My main rig is the Topping Dx7 pro A90 headphone amp secondary rigs are in no particular order dx3pro,l30 e30 combo,smsl m200 sp200 combo or any of the other dacs desktop or portable mainly fiiO,ifi,ibasso or PreSonus audio interface,for the money the smsl combo is not bad,usual sound color,filters,Bluetooth is fine no problems,if you really don't want to spend alot of money the fiio k5 pro will get you started as well.

Last edited:
OP
T

TechEnthusiast

My main rig is the Topping Dx7 pro A90 headphone amp secondary rigs are in no particular order dx3pro,l30 e30 combo or any of the other dacs desktop or portable mainly fiiO,ifi,ibasso or PreSonus audio interface,for the money the smsl combo is not bad,usual sound color,filters,Bluetooth is fine no problems,if you really don't want to spend alot of money the fiio k5 pro will get you started as well.
Thanks. I don't mind spending the money. I just want to make a wise investment to cover me for the long haul. Something clean solid and powerful on the amp end so there is no need to update that part.

blse59

Fiio K5 Pro is an easy guilt-free recommendation. It works and it does exactly everything it's supposed to do. Their smaller USB powered E10K came out in 2014 and to this day it's still relevant and still works perfectly fine for a lot of people. I expect the same for the K5 Pro. For me it's the perfect little box and I don't find myself shopping for DACs or amps which is telling.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

I am thinking about going the SMSL stack route. But I wonder what is the benefit of SLR if it is not a Balanced amp, other than perhaps a better marriage than rca or to act as a pre-amp.

OP
T

TechEnthusiast

Also, with the sp200 stacked with m200 is it better to connect via slr vs a good rca cable?

Top Bottom