• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp and DAC recs

leokhaleesi

Hey All,
I have a couple headphones (DT 1990 Pro and HD6xx) I need an amp and dac for. I've had the Magni 3+ and Modi 3 recommended to me, but doing some research I'm seeing more people praise the JDS Atom. So which would you recommend:
  1. Schiit stack (Magni 3+ Modi 3)
  2. JDS Atom + Modi 3
  3. JDS Atom + a different DAC (Khadas Tone Board?)
Any advice would be great!

Koeitje

Major Contributor
JDS is also American?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you don't mind the plastic case, the JDS Atom offers a front mounted gain selector, front mounted on/off switch (although combined with volume control) and two analogue inputs. I saw a rear mounted gain switch and on/off switch on the Magni 3. Also, JDS should introduce an Atom DAC sometime soon(?), maybe after the Covid 19 situation stabilizes. Hopefully it'll be a winner.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hadn't heard of this one, is the Archel2.5 identical to the Archel2? His review is for the 2 not the 2.5
I think they’re identical, but yes the 2.5 hasn’t been reviewed by Amir.
If you don’t mind RCA outs, then go for the 2.0. I have the 2.0.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
well I stand corrected then. jds doesn't make a big deal about it like schiit does.
Both are good amps. OP can do either or and he'll get gobs of power and excellent performance for his headphones.
Maybe they are not physically made in the US. But considering Schiit's QC I'd prefer China made :D.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Maybe they are not physically made in the US. But considering Schiit's QC I'd prefer China made :D.

Well, I don't understand why people are still buying Schiit gear. Maybe they're not aware of the reported QC problems (and the so so measurements here at ASR). :facepalm:

Veri

Master Contributor
Well, I don't understand why people are still buying Schiit gear. Maybe they're not aware of the reported QC problems (and the so so measurements here at ASR). :facepalm:
Modi looks fine, as does magni especially the heresy. I don't think you can really go wrong with the modi3/magni heresy stack. Looks good, too.

For their 'bigger' products like Asgard, Jotunheim, Saga, Freya etc I'm mostly concerned about how well their products are grounded. There's really a lot of conflicting information on this subject... Some people seem to have problems. Schiit assures things are properly grounded. Amir thinks their solution is not sufficient. So quite frankly I'm not entirely sure.
EDIT: My EU Saga+ arrived today. No grounding, humming or noise issues for me. I'm a happy camper :) love this pre-amp.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a Modi Multibit that's a few years old that I've never had a problem with. I even took it apart to perform the IC firmware upgrade. For the price and support the QC seems fine to me. Only one story though.

Top Bottom