• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I Cursed?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I thought it was odd that I don't seem to experience this issue on my Mac Studio so I upped the ram pressure and played some DSD128 and what do you know, problems there too.

I use Roon with 2 different endpoints and I can play DSD256 files upsampled to DSD512 without issues when using the endpoint that is running ALSA. While using the Mac for other stuff .

So the ram pressure issue has something to do with MacOS.
But Sonoma seems to have fixed that for the people that use DACs with usb from the Mac.

There are other things that help like increasing buffer size in soundsource , preventing the Mac from using powersaving mode (amphetamine) and I believe there are more issues with older xmos chips before the X316.

OP
HonorableExpense
Topping support did finally reply and they suggested I plug the DAC directly into my computer. There are no USB A ports on my computer but I see that USB C - USB B cables are a thing. Thanks for the info here I will save my $10 and wait for Sonoma to release.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does it mean to be cursed?

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Have you tried any third party audio software? We’ve had people here use software to try to fix issues, then leave it there or not fully remove it, only to realise later that the “fix” was actually causing more problems.

It may pay you to wipe and reinstall everything when you upgrade to Sonoma.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
I can vouch for RME ADI-2 FS. Thing is indestructible, never misbehaved on me and is a massive joy to use, especially with the recently released Remote app.
I heard that ADI-2 fs has tons of features. How would you rate the percentage of features that you use? Thanks

Pe8er

Forum Donor
I heard that ADI-2 fs has tons of features. How would you rate the percentage of features that you use? Thanks
Great question. I definitely don't use everything — I'm not interested in features like Crossfeed or Loudness, DSD Detection is disabled and since Remote app was released, I don't use Setups anymore. On the flip side, I have EQ presets for every headphone I own, which I play with all the time. And there are lots of useful bits that you set and forget — auto reference leveling, DC protection, auto standby, remote customization etc.

I also have to say, Remote app has been a huge game changer for me. Editing EQ used to be quite painful with a couple buttons and knobs, now it's a breeze!

Top Bottom