• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alnico Drivers

Goodman

Any good reason to search and pay the price for anilco drivers?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The has been some discussion about this and you can search the forum for "Alnico".

I don't think it matters as long as you get the flux density which requires a larger ceramic (or smaller neodymium) magnet. Alnico was phased-out when it became unobtainable due to a war.

P.S.
And then as usual, manufacturers started touting ceramic as a feature... "10oz Ceramic Magnet!"

egellings

Major Contributor
So long as you get the required B field intensity in the gap, makes no difference how you get that, as far as the gap is concerned.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
No reason per se -- but if there's a driver of which you're enamored, and it has an AlNiCo magnet... and if you can afford it ;) -- no reason not to go that route, I'd opine.
My woofers and treble drivers are AlNiCo; the "supertweeters" I use have neodymium magnets.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't think it matters what the magnet composition is.

That being said, I'm sure glad and enormously thankful that all my drivers are Alnico - I'd sure hate to contemplate how miserable and utterly pointless my life would be if that were not the case. o_O

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think it matters what the magnet composition is.

That being said, I'm sure glad and enormously thankful that all my drivers are Alnico - I'd sure hate to contemplate how miserable and utterly pointless my life would be if that were not the case. o_O
I think it always starts at the crossover once drivers are selected. A bad crossover can ruin a speaker faster then the driver in most cases.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I think it always starts at the crossover once drivers are selected. A bad crossover can ruin a speaker faster then the driver in most cases.
That's why my system uses electronic crossovers which go to individual amplifiers which power my Alnico drivers. Thank goodness they're all Alnico. :cool:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From a technical perspective, there is no reason to use them. Neodymium offers a higher magnetic flux for a given weight, and is price competitive.

Birdy

magnet-material-chart-RFB.png

Alnico apparently only shines in temperature resistance!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
True to ASR form, we should ban all use of Alnico because it is clearly useless, and inferior.

egellings

Major Contributor
So long as the pole piece iron is magnetically saturated and stays that way, it makes no diff what sort of magnet material brought that about.

OP
G

Goodman

True to ASR form, we should ban all use of Alnico because it is clearly useless, and inferior.
Perhaps you are right, but by the same token you should ban 75% of all audiophile products. I vote to ban all 2 way speakers with a 6.5 inch woofer and a dome tweeter they are useless and not hi fi. Also most audiophile cables BS.

Birdy

Probably because the magnet strength is lower from Alnico then all the others, you need beefy big magnets on those drivers and that looks good for many ;-) Those tiny small neo magnets don't look like many horse power!

Top Bottom