• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All-including kit for DIY bookshelf speakers?

Golf

Hi there!

Is there any basically all-including kit for bookshelf speakers you could recommend?

Or, as a second option, one where the drivers and crossover parts etc have to be bought separately?

Budget would be 700 Euros for a pair of speakers.

Thanks a lot!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Hivi 3.1A seems like a great candidate:

Please note though that what Amir tested was a modified version of the 3.1A, the details of which you can find at the beginning of his review and on page 4 of the review thread.

OP
Golf

Golf

The Hivi 3.1A seems like a great candidate

The HiVi Swans DIY3.1-A would be a bit too large for my bookshelf grid. The 2.2-A would be the better match, speaking of size.

I watched some YT videos, and I feel they where kind of discouraging, as far as one cares about the final visual quality of DIY speaker boxes. It seems to be really hard work to avoid any looks which just can not compete with those of ready-made industrial products.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a lot here, maybe the SB Acoustics Micro-C or might find a deal on the Ara.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this about the cost? I'm sure there are plenty good finished speakers at this price point, saving just on a assembly is probably minimal anyway and it's as DIY as putting Ikea furniture with a manual

OP
Golf

Golf

Is this about the cost? I'm sure there are plenty good finished speakers at this price point, saving just on a assembly is probably minimal anyway and it's as DIY as putting Ikea furniture with a manual

I just like the idea of one part of my stereo set which where assembled by myself. But I dread the DIY looks a lot of those home-made speaker boxes inevitably seem to have.

JyPay

But I dread the DIY looks a lot of those home-made speaker boxes inevitably seem to have.
Depends on how much work you put on them. Plus some DIY speakers sounds a way better than manufactured ones for less money.
I am with you for the pleasure to look at them and say to yourself : I did this myself and it looks and sounds great.

morpheusX

Plus some DIY speakers sounds a way better than manufactured ones for less money.

Not with the OP budget :(
Just an example around 700-900$ (and if someone would make an offer, usually you could get a lower price):
(i don't know nothing about the sellers, just mention these for price reference)

- https://www.avsforum.com/threads/750-local-pickup-diysg-elite-ht1099-lcr-speakers.3296857/
- https://www.avsforum.com/threads/psa-power-sound-audio-mtm-210-pair.3248529/
- https://www.avsforum.com/threads/jbl-hdi-1600’s-and-stands.3296703/

Middle Earth

Speaker are marked up obviously but if sold though a dealer/retailer the mark up is crazy.
You can build a fantastic speaker and save a bundle
CSS is one of the best examples

Ecaroh

Middle Earth

You might have a look here:

Note that for some of those kits, a cabinet is available from speakerhardware.com -- look for links within Madisound's product descriptions.

Another way is to pick up this cabinet and use a driver-and-crossover kit from the above link:

Too bad there aren't any other options for a veneer.
I built this and ordered the cabinets/flat-pack
It has an excellent quality and performance level
The rest of my DIYs I built my own cabinets
I doubt I will ever order another cabinet/flatpack
I am into performance and quality and not asthetics

melomane13

for this price you can buy very good amplified monitor speakers

Ecaroh

I built this and ordered the cabinets/flat-pack
It has an excellent quality and performance level
The rest of my DIYs I built my own cabinets
I doubt I will ever order another cabinet/flatpack
I am into performance and quality and not asthetics

Interesting. Strangely, clicking back and forth between Madisound and Speakerhardware, they both seem to associate a two-way cabinet with this three-way Morel driver set. ?

Middle Earth

The Morel is a two way dome tweeter mid which is enclosed so it is isolated in the cabinet.
So, it is by definition a three-way speaker
There is a discrepancy in the cross-over build quality
Does not mean the Madisound performance is superior
Here are the Madisound performance graphs
Pretty much ruler flat < +/- 3 db

D!sco

What are your limitations? I can see the best budget option (hivi 3.1A) is too big, but have you settled on a size? A listening distance and SPL? An f3 or f10 in mind for bass output? Do you already have amps or do they need to fit into the budget? It’s pretty tough to answer without a few of these. Feels like all the good answers have been spoken for already.

Top Bottom