• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alexa enabled DAC/AMP for TV/living room and second mobile DAC/AMP with EQ?

midnightsun

Hi!

after I while I have to come back and hope that you can help me out again.
This time tbh I don't even know if the devices I'm looking for exist and if, then I probably have been looking for the wrong name because I couldn't find anything.

So. let's start with the first device:
I have a few old active speakers (Adam Artist 3) and an active subwoofer (Jamo Sub660) which I use for watching tv. They used to be my desktop setup but since I actually only use headphones at my desk anymore I thought I'd use those before I have time to take care of the room acoustics and maybe get something better. In the mean time they surely sound better than the TV's integrated speakers.
At first I had the subwoofer connected via an aux to chinch cable and used the satellite out on the sub to feed the Adam Artist 3. That kinda worked, even though everything was way too loud. In addition I had this annoying low humming sound when the TV was turned off. So I invested in a cheap SPDIF DAC and went the same way from there. The hum is gone but now everything is at least 3 times louder. I have the sub turned off because even at minimum volume it would be unbearably loud and the two satellites are at -infinity so that I can use the normal TV remote and adjust the volume (using levels 10-20 out of 50? 100? TV is a LG C9)
What I am looking for right now is a hopefully cheap (ideally sub 100€, definitively sub 200€) way to fix this problem.
Apart from just watching TV I'd also like to integrate Alexa somehow so that I can use Alexa to play music over Spotify. I already have an Alexa device and coud use the aux out to feed it into whichever DAC/AMP I'd be getting but I guess fining one that allows mixing (I don't want to have to switch between sources. That kind of takes all the "smart" out of the experience) is gonna be even harder than one with integrated alexa support? If that is to easy for you, maybe I'd like to add some sort of DSP later on to be able to do room correction. Not urgent right now, still have to do a lot of measuring and build and put a bunch of elements in the room but why not plan ahead...

For the second device, here we come:
I got a great deal on a used pair of Hifiman HE1000SE (myheadfi.com, not sure if I'm allowed to mention the shop but I couldn't find a lot of reviews online and was a little sceptical so maybe it helps someone) and would like to have a mobile DAC/AMP to use them with. They don't need a lot of power but I do have another requirement: I'd like the DAC to have some sort of EQ. I don't want a DAP, I'd rather have a bigger "dongle" or something like that. I've seen the Qudelix-5k review and really like the idea of a device like that. Having the possibility of playing around with an EQ and "writing" the configuration to the device or being able to define a few presets and change them directly on the device would already be enough. I don't need to have a visual EQ on the device itself.

Would love to hear what you guys have to say!
cheers! :)

Top Bottom