• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ALAC or FLAC?

D

Deleted member 21114

I’ve said above. I didn’t rip or created the file but downloaded it.
To clarify - you downloaded a FLAC version and an ALAC version of the same song? You didn't encode one from the other?

Haskil

Forum Donor
To be correct, the best ALAC compression is around 5-12% batter than the best FLAC compression.

A third smaller is quite possible, if the best ALAC compression rate is used but not the best FLAC rate.

You can’t just take a utility designed for bulk compression and use it to say which is best because you may not get the smallest files that way. By default such utilities use the best rate for fast compression.

For the same rate of compression, I understand that FLAC may produce the smaller file, because ALAC sits in an MP4 container. That came from a source that claimed FLAC sounds better though - so I can’t give that too much credence. I’m sure someone on the forum would know.
The compression rate in Alac is automatic ; the user cannot adjust the compression ratio. Unlike Flac where it is adjustable to several compression rates un dBpoweramp (but also full speed without compression which makes it very easy to make universal tags which .wav cannot but do golden ears prefer wav to Flac !)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To clarify - you downloaded a FLAC version and an ALAC version of the same song? You didn't encode one from the other?
giphy.gif

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve said above. I didn’t rip or created the file but downloaded it.
From where though? The alac from iTunes should be easy to trace back to the version of the track but what is the provenance of the flac?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Yes ! And Alac can be used with all computers and computer reading software: it has become universal. While Flac is still not readable in iTunes-Music... due to Apple's sole fault.
One of many excellent reasons to avoid Apple an iTunes

OldTimer

Qobuz and Tidal are streaming FLAC files. Nobody in the world can say Apple Music is better than them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, same 24 bit 44.1khz but different file size
That didn't answer the question. Nor mine which I have asked twice which is what is the source of the Flac file.

OldTimer

Here is the metadata captured from Foobar2000 windows app. Sorry can't upload it. I didn't create the file, only downloaded it.
Now go to your iphone Music setting to know the downloaded file size. It's only 32.4MB.

View attachment 343240
And here is the Apple Music:
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 03.06.02.jpeg

So, 32.4MB vs 51.4MB. I always prefer bigger file size.

D

Deleted member 21114

Yes, same 24 bit 44.1khz but different file size
Reencode the ALAC as FLAC and see if the differences remain. The larger file is very likely a different, more compressed mix of the song. A brickwalled track doesn't compress as much as a "properly" mixed track.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And here is the Apple Music:
View attachment 343366

So, 32.4MB vs 51.4MB. I always prefer bigger file size.
Nobody is doubting the size of the 2 files. But is it the same file encoded 2 ways or 2 different files each encoded differently.

I'll put it another way. If I purchase music on Bandcamp I can choose between formats for download. I am reasonsbly confident there that any differences in file size or quality would be due to the encoding /compression used not the actual source file used. In your situation we still have no idea.

Reactions: VQR

OldTimer

The local FLAC file was played by Flacbox is still better sounding (louder) than Qobuz/Tidal streaming. They are all streaming the same 24 bit 44.1 khz song format.

Last edited:

danadam

Major Contributor
Here is the metadata captured from Foobar2000 windows app. Sorry can't upload it. I didn't create the file, only downloaded it.
Now go to your iphone Music setting to know the downloaded file size. It's only 32.4MB.

View attachment 343240
Based on the screenshot, the uncompressed size is 11'027'647 * 2 *3 = 66'165'882. That gives about 51.4 / 66.1 = 0.77 compression ratio for FLAC and will give 32.4 / 66.1 = 0.49 compression ratio for ALAC if it is the same file. I doubt it is.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The local FLAC file was played by Flacbox is still better sounding (louder) than Qobuz/Tidal streaming. They are all streaming the same 24 bit 44.1 khz song format.
You are aware. you can listen to the same song with different mastering. Hence possibly different file sizes to start with (before compression by the codec)?

We are trying to determine if this is the case or not. You don't seem to be very willing to help out here by describing (where and which track) the files came from. Perhaps if you provided links that would help us.

If you are not willing to help we'll just conclude the source files are different which explains both the significant file size difference, and your claim that you can hear a difference.

D

Deleted member 21114

Then you should definitely use Audacity to upsample all your files to 384kHz/32bit and wav-format. Maybe you want to use 32 channels too. That will give you really BIG file size.
Did you work for MQA by any chance?

DavidShe

Hi Everyone,

Is there any real difference between these two? Apart from the obvious … one is more suited to Apple products and the is open source…

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks
The open source should have a more open and airy sonic presentation. Obviously.

olieb

The open source should have a more open and airy sonic presentation. Obviously.
But both are open source. The fruit stuff will sound more juicy though, has to.

boxerfan88

The fruity one won’t sound as good coz someone already took a bite off.

Top Bottom