• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akg k702 + cheap amp or easier to drive headphones [Noob]

Youssef atta

Hello guys, I have just got ksc75 and I was impressed with the sound quality. So I want to move a step up my eyes was on Akg k702 especially their price now in uk usually under 150 $. And It was 350$ MSRP.But the problem I can't get a decent amp with it my budget will be 60$ for amp +150 for K702 but I'm afraid that it may sound bad with cheap amp. So should I go this way or better to get easier to drive headphone like X2Hr or ATH-900ADX or sennheiser hd599
With my Mb Asus b450 with supreme fx 1220 audio the Dac is clean with Ksc75 but the amp not so powerful it uses half power with Ksc75.
I will use for gaming, music ,movies

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The K702 performs best from an amplifier and is 103dB/V because a phone etc. can not make it reach impressive levels.
This has nothing to do with sound quality though.
The HD599 is just a tiny bit more efficient and 106dB/V, strangely enough RAA measured it higher.

The KSC75 you have is 113dB/V so twice as loud as the K702.
The X2HR is 115dB/V so slightly louder than the KSC75.
The loudest one is the A900 which is 120dB/V so noticeably louder than the KSC75.

The higher the dB/V number the louder it goes on the same volume setting. +10dB is about twice as loud.
Don't look at dB/mW numbers.

When you are not in for an amp the X2HR or A900 are your best bets.
The 'wing' design doesn't work well with all heads and you can expect the pleather pads to start to flake when used often.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The K702s sound good with anything. They aren't hard to drive either with a virtually flat impedance curve.

OP
Y

Youssef atta

Do you have it. Can I use it with modern Mb
Asus b450 supreme fx 1220

Veri

Master Contributor
The K702s sound good with anything. They aren't hard to drive either with a virtually flat impedance curve.
I hated the K702. Super dry and sterile sounding. Maybe what a mastering engineer wants? In any case the K712 Pro would be my pick for an AKG headphone. And yeah, I would simply drive it from motherboard. Will probably work fine on the more expensive Asus boards. No need to get a dac/amp right away.. hold on to dear money :)

In fact, I'd recommend to get K712 and use mobo, rather than K702 and buy a dac! That's what I would do at least, no question.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact, I'd recommend to get K712 and use mobo, rather than K702 and buy a dac! That's what I would do at least, no question.

I agree, the audio on that motherboard seems decent - probably better than the K3 I mentioned. I would also spend the all the money on headphones. Personally, I bought the K712Pro because they offered a good compromise of performance for both gamming and music. I wasn't disappointed. I still use them occasionally when I want a break from my HD660s.

Top Bottom