• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice Needed for Integrating Active Speakers (KEF LS50W) with AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ50)

isomorphZeta

Been lurking here for a while and finally got around to creating an account. I've just recently replaced my Integra DRX-3.3 AVR with an Onkyo TX-RZ50, and I'm adding some speakers to my setup.

I'm working with a weird, mismatched assortment of speakers in a 5.1 arrangement, plus speakers in 3 separate rooms:
  • Front: KEF LS50W
  • Center: MartinLogan Motion 30
  • Rear: Polk 80 F/X-LS (in-ceiling)
  • Subwoofer: Polk HTS-12
  • Zone 1: 2x Origin Acoustics D67
  • Zone 2: 2x Origin Acoustics D67
  • Zone 3: 2x Origin Acoustics D65EX (outdoor)
My plan is to power the 3 zones with a Rotel RMB-1506, which I believe should be plugged into the "Zone 2 Pre/Line Out" RCA jacks on the Onkyo TX-RZ50 (if I've got this wrong, please let me know!)

Now, my main question is regarding the KEF LS50W's: Where should they hook up to the AVR? I would've thought they'd have hooked up to the "Front" Pre Out RCA jacks, but when I did that no sound was output.

On my old amp (the Integra DRX-3.3) I had the KEF speakers hooked up to the "Zone 2 / Zone B (Line Out)" Pre/Line Out RCA jacks, and just kept Zone B active and in A+B Mode. That's what I was planning to hook the Rotel RMB-1506 up to on the new Onkyo, though.

I guess this all boils down to me not really understanding the difference between Pre/Line Out and Pre Out. I'm honestly not attached to the LS50W's - I'm not opposed to passive speakers for the fronts - but for now I'm just trying to work with what I've got.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Pre-Out is the main line level output of the RZ50 preamp section.... that is where you should connect a pair of active speakers (or in my case an external power amp powering the speakers.... same thing!)

If you use the Zone2 pre/line out, the volume level is NOT matched and EQ'd with your other main setup speakers (surround, center, height etc...) - it assumes that Zone2 is a straight simple stereo setup intended to be piped to another room... Volume level control is also seperate I am pretty sure, and can be set to a fixed output level (on the assumption that the amp is in the other room, and Volume control is at that point) - or variable - in which case the level is adjusted seperately for Zone2 as opposed to the main speakers...

Yeah, don't use the Zone2 output, use the Pre-out

OP
I

isomorphZeta

Pre-Out is the main line level output of the RZ50 preamp section.... that is where you should connect a pair of active speakers (or in my case an external power amp powering the speakers.... same thing!)

If you use the Zone2 pre/line out, the volume level is NOT matched and EQ'd with your other main setup speakers (surround, center, height etc...) - it assumes that Zone2 is a straight simple stereo setup intended to be piped to another room... Volume level control is also seperate I am pretty sure, and can be set to a fixed output level (on the assumption that the amp is in the other room, and Volume control is at that point) - or variable - in which case the level is adjusted seperately for Zone2 as opposed to the main speakers...

Yeah, don't use the Zone2 output, use the Pre-out
Thanks for the prompt response!

Yeah, in my previous setup with the Integra AVR I had to use the volume control on the KEF speakers (via a universal remote that also controlled everything else, so it wasn't a pain), and the sub was controlled by the AVR volume control.

Now, adding in other passive speakers, that setup obviously would be a PITA to deal with.

So I should be connecting the KEF speakers up like this?

1684298838860.png

And then hook the Rotel amp up to the one of the Pre/Line Out connections?

I wonder why I didn't hear anything when I previously had it hooked up to the Pre Outs? I'm guessing I didn't have it turned up enough, since I was used to keeping my Integra down around 10-15 when it was just controlling the sub.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Yeah, in my previous setup with the Integra AVR I had to use the volume control on the KEF speakers (via a universal remote that also controlled everything else, so it wasn't a pain), and the sub was controlled by the AVR volume control.

Now, adding in other passive speakers, that setup obviously would be a PITA to deal with.

View attachment 285959

I wonder why I didn't hear anything when I previously had it hooked up to the Pre Outs? I'm guessing I didn't have it turned up enough, since I was used to keeping my Integra down around 10-15 when it was just controlling the sub.
Yes correct. Maybe you have to configure the pre-outs in the menu (look in the manual). I am just guessing. (In my Denon the preouts are always on though)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When adding an external amp for some channels and still using onboard amps for others, best to run the calibration/setup routine to match them up (or just a change from on-baord to external amps in general). Hard to think you'd get no sound, tho, perhaps at worst a very low level without doing this.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

View attachment 285959

Yes use the Pre-Out's and the Speaker outputs (binding posts) for your main surround environment.

Then you can use Zone2 and/or Zone3 for other zones/areas around your home

Keeping in mind that you sacrifice a height channel if you want to use both zones, which may or may not be an issue.

OP
I

isomorphZeta

Yes correct. Maybe you have to configure the pre-outs in the menu (look in the manual). I am just guessing. (In my Denon the preouts are always on though)
Moved the cables over to the Front Pre-Out jack, cranked up the volume on the KEFs, and sure enough: glorious sound!

Turns out I just had the KEFs (and the AVR) turned down too low when I initially had it hooked up. I'm sure there was some sound coming out when I first had it hooked up, but it was so low as to be inaudible to me (probably since it was only 1/4 of the way up on the KEFs and around 10-20 on the AVR).

Thanks everybody for the help! This is an amazing forum - excited to be a bit more active and learn!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Moved the cables over to the Front Pre-Out jack, cranked up the volume on the KEFs, and sure enough: glorious sound!

Turns out I just had the KEFs (and the AVR) turned down too low when I initially had it hooked up. I'm sure there was some sound coming out when I first had it hooked up, but it was so low as to be inaudible to me (probably since it was only 1/4 of the way up on the KEFs and around 10-20 on the AVR).

Thanks everybody for the help! This is an amazing forum - excited to be a bit more active and learn!
Can't compare volume/gain positions much....and I'd run the setup/calibration routine to help level match the different amps.

Top Bottom