• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice for new DAC+Headphone AMP for Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen HP

keif76

Hi folks,

i´m really enjoying this forum and this friendly and helpfull communety..

Now I need your help..

I will receive a beyerdynamic T5p 2nd headphone soon (32Ohm). Maybe other headphones with higher impedance will follow in the future. For this I would like to buy a DAC and a headphone amp or a combo for stationary use.

My first idea was to use a JDS Atom with a Khadas TB and a RPi with Moode or Volumio (Spotify, Tidal, tacks on SD Card). But I want to have the ability to drive the T5p symmetical. The THX AAA 789 is not avaliable at the moment. What wold be the best alternative´in this price range (max approx 600€/700$)?

What would you suggest for a mobile use? Some reviews say a dragonfly red should be a really good match with T5p.

I look forward to your suggestions :)

Kai

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of these headphones and find that unless you want really ear destroying volume levels that the headphone output of many devices is fine. My Shanling M3s drives them to a high enough volume. If you want an amplifier then I think that the Atom offers all the performance needed for a very modest cost.

T.J. Turner

The thing about the T5p, both 1st and 2nd gen is that they sound much better with an amp with good power output, even though they are only 32 ohm they can sound dull right out of a cellphone. Amps I own where they sounds best are the Beyerdynamic A2, Teac HA-501, The Atom, and Schiit Jotunheim from the balanced output. If you have a FiiO X7 or portable player, the AM5 module or an amp with equivalent specs sounds the best.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't honestly say that the pair I own sound any better or worse if driven from a Sony Xperia XZ premium, Shanling M3s or JDS Atom. The Atom can take them up to a much higher volume and the Sony is slightly underpowered IMO (though within its limit the headphone output is very good and the DAC transparent). The reason I bought the Shanling is that I wanted a little bit more power than the Sony, the battery life of the Sony was dropping off and I suspect whatever replaces it won't have a headphone jack. However the audio quality is very good and the T5P 2 headphones don't sound muzzled when driven from it. Most of the time I even find the volume to be fine.

OP
K

keif76

What about the Topping DX7s? Would this be a possible soulution? Or is it a mismstch with ita 10.5 Ohm output impedance?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
10 Ohm is not a problem for T5P, you are getting about 0.2dB more lows out of it.

Dana reed

If you do use the DX7s and actually use the balanced out though, the impedance will be doubled. Still not that much of a concern in changing the frequency response for the T5P.
I have used the T5P with the DX7s, and with a Magni3, and I wouldn't be able to call out a difference in frequency response there. Of course with these being so sensitive, the Magni isn't really the best match as even on low gain, I'm running the pot at like 8 'oclock. I use the Magni for less sensitive or higher impedance phones. Honestly, i use the T5p most with mobile devices due to their high sensitivity, and I'm happy with the sound straight out of my iPhone SE headphone port with them

OP
K

keif76

Many thanks for all the help.
I have ordered a tone board and the atom amp in the meanwhile. And I must say that the sensivety of T5p is also not the best match with the atom. The sound is really nice but you will stay near the area where the pots inbalance is noticeable.

Top Bottom