• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding a trigger to a Hypex amp?

beren777

What are some best practices for adding a 12V trigger to a Hypex NC252MP without blowing it up or finding out how good of a speaker dummy load my body makes? My goal is to control it from a Denon AVR that has a 12V trigger out.

I don't want to connect it directly to the Power Supply Enable pin on the amplifier board. That seems "bad" and that I'd want isolation between the trigger in and the amp, by using a relay. What relays would you prefer for this purpose?

The board has both a Standby and Main SMPS, with the Standby currently set to trigger the Main. I assume I can just put a 3.5mm mono connector in the back panel, and connect that to a relay.

Can I use something like this?

https://www.pololu.com/product/2482

I assume that I could connect it like this:

J6.3 -> VDD, COM
J6.4 -> GND
J6.9 -> NO
Incoming trigger wire -> EN

The relay docs say EN will actuate the coil at ~>2.5V and will accept up to 20V, so the 12V high shouldn't damage it.

Where does the trigger cable ground terminate, just at the rear plate?

I assume I could also get their 12V version and connect the trigger directly to VDD and GND, and then short VDD and EN.

I've seen other relays that are just four connectors, two for the trigger and two for the load, but I can't seem to find them.

I'd rather not use an extension outlet with built-in trigger.

OP
B

beren777

Looking at pictures, this appears to be what one manufacturer is using for the relay in his amps:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/cit-relay-and-switch/J115F31A12VDCS-9/12503547

MFG_J115F31A12VDCS9.jpg

There are also solid state relay options like this:

MFG_EL-Series.jpg

The SSRs are a ~$40 part where the other one is a ~$3 part. Is there any practical advantage to using a SSR instead of coil for this purpose?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is there any practical advantage to using a SSR instead of coil for this purpose?
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/solid-state-relay.html
Thus the main advantages solid state relays have over conventional electro-mechanical relays is that they have no moving parts to wear out, and therefore no contact bounce issues, are able to switch both “ON” and “OFF” much faster than a mechanical relays armature can move, as well as zero voltage turn-on and zero current turn-off eliminating electrical noise and transients.

JSmith

OP
B

beren777

Thanks. As a layman I'd assume that EMI would mainly be generated when the coil actuates and not while it's closed (though I understand that in a non-latching relay, the trigger current is continuously applied, so in a coil you effectively have a little electromagnet running inside the case).

Does zero voltage turn-on/current turn-off apply to DC or just AC circuits? I thought those were intended to apply to AC circuits so that the relay waits until you're at the proper point in the sine wave to actuate. But that wouldn't apply in a DC circuit would it?

Is there a measurable impact on audio output?

oupee

I have two M250NCs and the trigger connection with Marantz is seamless.
I wouldn't be afraid to connect with Denon.
But I have a problem with the stereo preamplifier. When I connect them, only the trigger switches ok. If I connect them to a cinch or XLR, Hypex will turn on immediately, even if the preamp is in standby. Preamp with other devices works fine so this must be a problem in Hypex.

Last edited:

oupee

Is there a Hypex manual or service manual available? In the off state, I measure 500Ω between the trigger and the input ground. Why? What kind of shit is that?

Langston Holland

Forum Donor
Another way to skin the cat:

I found a great solution that ties non-triggered components to a trigger circuit for $30. This grounded 120V relay has a trigger input that accepts 3V-48V DC and 12V-120V AC. The relay has (2) outlets that turn stuff on, (1) outlet that turns stuff off (such as lights when you turn on your home theater) and a 4th always on outlet.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This question has been discussed in other threads at length, so if you did not do a search, suggest you try. Notably, Buckeye Amps went through comparable contemplation. I though he stated which ones he uses, but could not find readily. There are some inexpensive relays that should work. PE has a couple of NTEs and a Bosch that might work.

The other trick is to use a jack with built in switch, so when not using the trigger, the amp still powers up. PM me for details if you are interested.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
OP
B

beren777

This question has been discussed in other threads at length, so if you did not do a search, suggest you try. Notably, Buckeye Amps went through comparable contemplation. I though he stated which ones he uses, but could not find readily. There are some inexpensive relays that should work. PE has a couple of NTEs and a Bosch that might work.

The other trick is to use a jack with built in switch, so when not using the trigger, the amp still powers up. PM me for details if you are interested.

Thanks for the feedback. I did look through other threads, but it can be challenging to find the right post in some of our longer-running threads. The top picture in my second post is the relay that Buckeye appears to be using based on photos.

I'm also looking at the options suggested by @Langston Holland and @Koeitje.

I'd prefer an internal solution with just the mono jack exposed externally. I picked up a few relays to experiment with as time and health allow. Either of the external solutions suggested would also work. Thanks everyone, once I pick a direction I'll post some pics of the solution or the smoldering remains of my amplifier.

laidick

Forum Donor
The best is to use a PCB (e.g. attiny) to control the hypex internal ,using smps standby and amp mute function.

May be you could follow this ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-075717.png
    Screenshot_20211014-075717.png
    801.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG-20200707-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20200707-WA0030.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 316

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You want to just use one these:
audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device.jpg

Available from Audiophonics.

Mario Soldier

You want to just use one these:
audiophonics-trigger-12v-230v-slave-power-supply-device.jpg

Available from Audiophonics.

It uses a relay? or solid Statee?

I bought this, but it is expensive.

Also i made soime trigger relaysd on my own.

Regards

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Asked a EE buddy about this. Notably, I wanted to isolate the external trigger and the amp internals. He suggested this 12V optocoupler board):

1683669204853.png

Have tested and it works fine with my Yamaha AVR and a Hypex NC502MP. On the input side, pin J1.1 goes to the tip (+) of the 3.5 mm phone connector jack. Pin J1.2 goes to the negative contact. On the output side, pin J2.1 goes to J6.3 on the amp module and pin J2.3 goes to J6.9 (PS Enable).

NOTE: unless you wire a separate standby switch or use a trigger jack with extra contacts, you will not be able to power up your amp when there is no trigger plug inserted.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cedludo

Asked a EE buddy about this. Notably, I wanted to isolate the external trigger and the amp internals. He suggested this 12V optocoupler board):

View attachment 284568

Have tested and it works fine with my Yamaha AVR and a Hypex NC502MP. On the input side, pin J1.1 goes to the tip (+) of the 3.5 mm phone connector jack. Pin J1.2 goes to the negative contact. On the output side, pin J2.1 goes to J6.3 on the amp module and pin J2.3 goes to J6.9 (PS Enable).
Hi guy.
Is it also good for 252 your module for trigger please?
Same connection on pins that you give?
Thanks.
friendly

Mario Soldier

Adding a TRigger is really no problem you can just use something like this, switching with a low volt signal 5-16 Volt an bigger signal 120 Volt or 240 Volt.

But it really seems no one in this big ASR Forum has an idea about an wake on music Platine to just wako on a subwoofer or power amp just by music signal nothing esle......

Its really usefull not everyone will eberrase Trigger Cables through the whole house.And theere are just moment jo dont need with an 7.4.6 System all Power amps,when i only hear streo it is good when the rest of the power Amps is off!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC04254.JPG
    DSC04254.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 55

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guy.
Is it also good for 252 your module for trigger please?
Same connection on pins that you give?
Thanks.
friendly

yes, the NC252MP has the same interface as the NC502MP.

Top Bottom