• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A New World of DACs, but which one?

Sutton

I must admit that I really enjoy ASR and it has opened my eyes to the many high performance, but reasonably priced, DACs. Its created a little bit of a dilemma and I would welcome a push in the right direction.

I have a Benchmark LA4 and AHB2 combo for amplification and to complete the system a Benchmark DAC 3 B appears to be the obvious choice. Or is it?

This DAC 3 B costs £2000 in the UK, so not a cheap option, although I note it is recommended under ASR and may benefit from the synergy of being paired with amplification of the same manufacturer.

However, in terms of performance, it is matched or even bettered by a range of DACs at a very much lower price threshold.

So, I am resolved to give one of these alternate DACs a go and wondered if anyone can recommend a DAC costing £500 ($700) or less and why?

Many thanks

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
... and may benefit from the synergy of being paired with amplification of the same manufacturer.
Nope, don't worry about that.

Even $700 is a lot to spend on a DAC. I'd say take a look at the reviews that are here; you can use this tool to help you find them. (But keep in mind it doesn't have some of the latest reviews.) The best way to approach this is to figure out what your requirements are, other than performance.
  • Features (such as balanced outs, remote control, etc.)
  • Build quality
  • Aesthetics
  • Service / warranty
  • Size
The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that there are so many DACs out there with top notch performance that are audibly transparent. Once you get into that category of DACs you have to narrow down the choices by budget and the other criteria I listed above.

As always, better to spend your budget on the things that really matter: speakers, room treatments, and room EQ.

OP
S

Sutton

Nope, don't worry about that.

Even $700 is a lot to spend on a DAC. I'd say take a look at the reviews that are here; you can use this tool to help you find them. (But keep in mind it doesn't have some of the latest reviews.) The best way to approach this is to figure out what your requirements are, other than performance.
  • Features (such as balanced outs, remote control, etc.)
  • Build quality
  • Aesthetics
  • Service / warranty
  • Size
The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is that there are so many DACs out there with top notch performance that are audibly transparent. Once you get into that category of DACs you have to narrow down the choices by budget and the other criteria I listed above.

As always, better to spend your budget on the things that really matter: speakers, room treatments, and room EQ.
Thank you Rick

For the record, I need balanced output but am not too concerned about size, aesthetics or warranty. I've used the tool you've embedded, above, and that is where my problem started! There are quite a few DACs from Topping, SMSL, Loxjie, Gustard etc.

I suppose, in essence, I'd like to find the cheapest, balanced output DAC that has an 'excellent' rating. Even from the above manufacturers, they each appear to have one that would suit (eg Gustard X18 or Loxjie D40). Perhaps the answer is any of these - they're all of similar price and quality.

Zorlac

If you have OCD like a lot of us "audiophiles", then I say just go for the Topping D90SE and be done with it...at least until ASR measures something better. ;)

OP
S

Sutton

If you have OCD like a lot of us "audiophiles", then I say just go for the Topping D90SE and be done with it...at least until ASR measures something better. ;)
Thanks Zorlac
For sure, the Topping D90Se has an excellent review, but its £900. There's got to be cheaper but equivalent.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What sort of inputs (for what kind of source devices) will you need? Any outlandish data formats like DSD?

Since a high performance line stage is already present in the LA4, your needs in terms of actual DAC performance are going to be quite modest. A lowly Topping D10 Balanced might get the job done, assuming USB input only is sufficient. Or perhaps even a little USB audio interface (e.g. MOTU M2), which would come with some extra functionality like mic inputs - video conferencing in style. ;)

OP
S

Sutton

What sort of inputs (for what kind of source devices) will you need? Any outlandish data formats like DSD?

Since a high performance line stage is already present in the LA4, your needs in terms of actual DAC performance are going to be quite modest. A lowly Topping D10 Balanced might get the job done, assuming USB input only is sufficient. Or perhaps even a little USB audio interface (e.g. MOTU M2), which would come with some extra functionality like mic inputs - video conferencing in style. ;)
Thanks AnalogSteph
Very positive!
A Topping D10 sounds interesting. The DAC will take a feed via USB from a Melco server, but I'm not sure that the Melco is designed to provide power as well as signal in the same USB connection.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
What about trying to find a DAC3 B on the second hand market (or a demo unit) if a lower price is of great importance?
I love my DAC2 HGC by the way, and I have the AHB2 as well. Among many great things with it is a 12V trigger and dual headphone output (so me and my wife can listen to headphones simultanously).

Another positive thing with an all-Benchmark setup is that the same remote controll can be used for all of the products (in the 2-, 3 -and 4 series).

Last edited:
OP
S

Sutton

What about trying to find a DAC3 B on the second hand market (or a demo unit) if a lower price is of great importance?
I love my DAC2 HGC by the way, and I have the AHB2 as well. Among many great things with it is a 12V trigger and dual headphone output (so me and my wife can listen to headphones simultanously).
Thanks Sprellemannen
I would certainly look for a second hand model, but the DAC HGC is selling second hand for around £1800. A DAC B would be cheaper but, I estimate, at least £1000.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have a Benchmark DAC2 (currently in storage). I tried it with both the AHB and a NAD M22. Couldn't tell a difference.

To me the advantage of the DAC2 HGC was all the connectivity options it offered. Not necessarily SQ compared to cheaper alternatives.

Leporello

I must admit that I really enjoy ASR and it has opened my eyes to the many high performance, but reasonably priced, DACs. Its created a little bit of a dilemma and I would welcome a push in the right direction.

I have a Benchmark LA4 and AHB2 combo for amplification and to complete the system a Benchmark DAC 3 B appears to be the obvious choice. Or is it?

This DAC 3 B costs £2000 in the UK, so not a cheap option, although I note it is recommended under ASR and may benefit from the synergy of being paired with amplification of the same manufacturer.

However, in terms of performance, it is matched or even bettered by a range of DACs at a very much lower price threshold.

So, I am resolved to give one of these alternate DACs a go and wondered if anyone can recommend a DAC costing £500 ($700) or less and why?

Many thanks
What is the audible problem you are trying to solve by purchasing a new dac?

OP
S

Sutton

Thanks for the responses. A Benchmark DAC in it various versions would be a consideration, but for the pricing.

Perhaps looking at it differently, if I suggest that I get a Loxjie D40 (£430) would anyone say stupid, you could get xxx for the same money and it also offers yyy?
What is the audible problem you are trying to solve by purchasing a new dac?
I do not have a connection between my Melco server and LA4 pre-amplifier.

Bleib

Major Contributor
wondered if anyone can recommend a DAC costing £500 ($700) or less and why?
Why not this one?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I buy a new DAC, it would have to offer configurable subwoofer outputs and built-in room tuning features. The SQ of competently designed DACs is way up there, so I'd rather enjoy the music than trying to hear a difference in SQ - little reason to change or "upgrade" for SQ gains... $ better spent elsewhere then.... :)

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pick the minidsp flex, you then also get dirac and a sub out. Room correction and optimizing the acoustics in your room will be of far greater importance to the end result.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sutton

Thanks Everyone. I run PMC 25.21i speakers, along with two Rel T9x subs.

What I need is a DAC to connect my Melco with the LA4 pre-amp, balanced connections.

I suppose there is not much to choose between say the Loxjie D40 and similar priced offerings from Topping, Gustard and SMSL. A totally random choice, but perhaps I'll see what the D40 can do for me.

Thanks

OP
S

Sutton

Pick the minidsp flex, you then also get dirac and a sub out. Room correction and optimizing the acoustics in your room will be of far greater importance to the end result.
A very interesting option but I'm not sure I have the competence to set up.

Top Bottom