• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Look At Cambridge Analytica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The politics stuff started when it was mentioned that the earlier Obama campaigns also used tactics where Facebook friends' data was hoovered up and analysed without their consent. Apparently Facebook's terms and conditions were different then, and this made it 'legal'.

How many people around here don't do Facebook? I don't - except for a brief trial a few years ago. Back then, it seemed like a nice adjunct to 'real life', but I am amazed at how quickly it became 'real life' even for people who had lived in the pre-internet age.

I posted recently I don't do, and have never done nor do I intend to do Facebook. Always from day one seemed like a bad idea.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
"Let's make America great again" is saying America is not now great. That seems to be accepted by many but denied by them, also. Puzzling, to say the least.

Move to fight club, if necessary. Definitely move it as there seems to be unfinished STUFF. Of course it will not be productive because it will be 'fact' vs 'opinion'. Goes nowhere but entertains egos. Too many humans think that they are the centre of the universe. In the end it is individual focus vs societal need. :rolleyes:
Sadly 30% of the US population is dangerously clueless and think what's going on here fine. It is ok to have a differing respectful well thought out opinion, but what is occurring in this administration is dangerous and has the possibility to negativity change world history for generations to come. :(

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Sex, politics and religion were avoided in polite society and also in the general population

Emotions(subjectivity)and objectivity could seldom be argued both rationally and irrationally, concurrently, and discord resulted. What has changed? Sound familiar-audio?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Sadly 30% of the US population is dangerously clueless and think what's going on here fine. It is ok to have a differing respectful well thought out opinion, but what is occurring in this administration is dangerous and has the possibility to negativity change world history for generations to come. :(

I think that a large portion of populations are uncomfortable with critical thinking and bearing responsibility in a political sense. When someone comes along and says "I am with you" and offers to relieve them of the burden they submit.

This was the subject of an interesting 1970 movie - The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer. Worth seeing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Rise_of_Michael_Rimmer

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I posted recently I don't do, and have never done nor do I intend to do Facebook. Always from day one seemed like a bad idea.

I talk to friends face-to-face or via telephone or email. At times I respond to 'text' reminders of appointments. I restrict narcissism to those unfortunate morning encounters with the bathroom mirror - a losing game.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sadly 30% of the US population is dangerously clueless and think what's going on here fine. It is ok to have a differing respectful well thought out opinion, but what is occurring against this administration is dangerous and has the possibility to negativity change world history for generations to come. :(
There you go friend, I fixed it for you. I understand you seem to be confused today.
We're Making America Great Again. ;)
Sorry Thomas

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
There you go friend, I fixed it for you. I understand you seem to be confused today.
We're Making America Great Again. ;)
Sorry Thomas

So you admit America is not great? Sell more flags and wave them harder. Seriously, the past is past. America is doing fine, comparatively, in modern times. Most countries are doing it harder than America. The Golden Age is over, planet wide.

Of course your defence spending is outrageous. Russia GDP is less than Australia's, China and Russia traditionally are about securing their borders. They are not going to invade the US.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/Russia/Economy

Big bogey-man stuff with no substance.

Stop the fear and loathing . Ralph Steadman pegged it decades ago. Get over it. The world has moved on.

Move to Fight Club, now?

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Of course your defence spending is outrageous. Russia GDP is less than Australia's, China and Russia traditionally are about securing their borders. They are not going to invade the US.
Listen and Learn

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Listen and Learn

Fearful nonsense. Great for the home consumption and the Military-industrial complex and employment., though.

A scheme to bankrupt the USSR and it worked because their Military -industrial complex was just as rigid in their thinking(damn the economics)-along with other economic limitations. The result is that Russia has developed superior anonymous and cheap IT/internet tactical substitutes. Who is laughing, now?

Fight Club transfer please!! :eek:

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_divisions_of_United_States_Congresses

For the last 50 years there has been a maximum of 3 members of each Congress not elected as Democrats or Republicans...

Listed below as "others".

View attachment 11677

If that isn't a power grab, I don't know what is.

Is there a choice of only two cars to buy, two amps, two CDs, only two anything other than the political affiliation of our representatives?
I watched a very good drama last night:
https://www.space.ca/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams-recap-kill-all-others/
Welcome to Mexuscan, the nightmarish meganation of 2054 in which elections are all about the process. Read: there’s only one candidate, The Candidate, but hey, voting is your chance to voice your support for her (Vera Farmiga, leading an eerily familiar rallying cry of “Mexuscan! Yes us can!”).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Missing as usual in the discussion is that , World Powers have been making themselves "great" at the expenses of others. The history of this World is too much of some people getting to others people land's and taking it as a right. The US of A themselves are a case in point: Natives were obliterated and those who came did indeed made themselves great... That next bout of " more Greatness" at whose expenses will it be?
Now if we buy into the premises of making the already Wealthiest and most prosperous country on the planet"Great Again", how will it be accomplished?.... By making of anyone that is not "us" ( there is in this, a pun, intentional) an enemy? Should we in such a pursuit crush hard-won and very fragile social gains? So far there is a lot of rhetoric about "greatness" but little about the welfare of the people, especially the poor and weak. Social gains seem to be disregarded in the pursuit of this "greatness"

The sad truth is that in the name of commercial gains and perhaps convenience, purely for-profit, enterprises (by definition greedy) know too much about us. They are watching us and it if weren't for a few in the besieged press we wouldn't even care to have an inkling to how seriously dangerous this can become or already is. At this point in time entities whose main purpose is to make more profit, know close to everything about us, most of us anyway. They know where you've been , where you are, how much you have, where you have what you have, who you frequent, where and what you buy, for how much you buy, what and where and likely know what you are most likely to buy even if they weren't already almost forcing you to already.... The list could go on. If you think for example that Google doesn't know where you have been by simply turning your GPS off, you are mistaken, the next time you (or perhaps "they" whomever "they" might be",) turn that GPS on, your so practical, convenient and so useful smartphone connects to "them" and pushes all your wheeabout and perhaps more to "them" ... How dangerous can that be? Now one can always think that such vast amount of data makes it very difficult to prune out relevant or useful information and one could be right if it weren't for the notion of data mining and the mind-boggling computing power that many entities corporations, some Government agencies other we don't even know about have... That is what Data mining is about.. crushing vast amount of data to retrieve information of pertinence for a purpose; it can be as mundane as sales/profit or as dangerous as who and what you vote for, from there to manipulating what you think ... This points toward a very dystopian future in which a few would (will?) control us in the name of ... what? Profit?
This to me, is disturbing... scary and more than unsettling.
Bowing out for now
Respectfully
Peace

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
An article directly about this issue:
THE MYTH OF CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA’S POWER
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/frank-cambridge-analytica
The cultural power of Cambridge Analytica is a myth. That this myth has so much purchase among our political elite is testimony to the failure of their political and moral imagination. Those who are confident in their ideals and arguments are unlikely to take seriously the claims made about Cambridge Analytica. They will not regard citizens as easily manipulated puppets, but as mature adults, capable of making political choices. They also understand that a Culture War can only be effectively fought, not through personal data algorithms, but by upholding or challenging values.

Edit: And another!
THE GREAT LIE AT THE HEART OF THE CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA SCARE
http://www.spiked-online.com/newsit...at-the-heart-of-the-Cambridge-Analytica-scare

I recommend this online magazine for a daily fix of free speech. It's written by left wingers - so your conscience is clear - but it acts as an antidote to the ever-more censorious, sanctimonious, self-hating stuff you are bombarded with every day.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Facebook would normally not be my thing but my son put me on when his first child was born for photo sharing, which was nice. Now we have 9 grandchildren and are able to keep in touch with friends and family all over the world. I do get annoying posts though which I seem unable to avoid. I have loads of US friends but no interest in interminable political "sound" bites which friends of both sides quote.
For being informed I subscribe to the UK version of The Week (which is different to the US version in focus) which gives a good précis of the articles of different leanings on the news, which is always interesting. I otherwise look at the BBC and Reuters for least biased news. I also read The Guardian which is the only UK newspaper I know of not owned by a biased rich bloke.
We don't get Fox here, obviously, but if it is to the right of The Daily Mail, which I do see, it is the political equivalent of advocating £10,000 wiring looms IMO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom