• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A good remote is hard to find...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe Topping's remote manufacturer has used an emitter with a narrow beam angle? They ranged from 13 to 40 degrees when I looked for a 'high power' one on Mouser...

Being made of aluminium, the RC-21 is screwed together, so it would be trivial to replace the emitter...

View attachment 177414

Yeah .... or perhaps Topping could simply pay attention and fix this to begin with. File this under the heading of "the many design elements Topping engineering overlooks". They want to play with the big boys in the $900 DAC range but still haven't developed the skill to place a decent emitter in their remotes. :D

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
my guess is, those remotes are 3rd party universal ones, you could find them by a ton on alibaba/express for the last dunno how many years

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Are the Topping aluminium remotes any better than the plastic ones, in terms of range? My DAC came with the plastic RC-15A remote, which has the much complained about limited range and coverage angle. I wonder whether the RC-22 would be an improvement. Has anyone had a chance to compare them?

vco1

Are the Topping aluminium remotes any better than the plastic ones, in terms of range? My DAC came with the plastic RC-15A remote, which has the much complained about limited range and coverage angle. I wonder whether the RC-22 would be an improvement. Has anyone had a chance to compare them?
I bought the RC-22. It's not the best industrial design, tbh. Mostly becuase it's a clunky aluminium bar. They did nothing to make it anywhere near attractive or ergonomical.

Haven't been able to test it yet. As I don't have the tool to open it in order to place a battery (not included). Yes, you need a tool (screwdriver, but not a regular one, not even a Torx it seems) to place a battery. Speaking of bad design... ;-)

Eyud

I like the remote that comes with the Benchmark LA4/HPA4. Good size (about 6.5" long), metal frame so it feels very sturdy, rounded sides so it's comfortable to hold, and large, easy to press buttons. I sit about 8 feet from my HPA4, and at about a 45 degree angle, so I do have to reach out to the side a bit to aim it correctly, but it's significantly better than my Topping DX5 and its remote which is really difficult to use from my listening position.

GEN4-Remote_Upright_Shopify_5000x.jpg

raif71

Major Contributor
A good remote these days is hard to find
A sturdy one, the lasting kind
A good remote these days is hard to find
So please be gentle with this (discontinued) remote of mine
exactamundo :D

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I like the remote that comes with the Benchmark LA4/HPA4. Good size (about 6.5" long), metal frame so it feels very sturdy, rounded sides so it's comfortable to hold, and large, easy to press buttons. I sit about 8 feet from my HPA4, and at about a 45 degree angle, so I do have to reach out to the side a bit to aim it correctly, but it's significantly better than my Topping DX5 and its remote which is really difficult to use from my listening position.

I agree: The Benchmark remote is excellent.

Fred H

Forum Donor
My problem with the Benchmark remote was that I occasionally pressed "Off" instead of "Volume Up". I thought this was such poor design that it contributed to my replacing my DAC2 with a Topping D30 Pro.

My solution to Topping's remote was to replace it with a Tihebyan learning remote. This prevented me from pressing Topping's seldom-used buttons because they are not on the Tihebyan. Its long narrow shape makes it easier for me to point it properly.

Attachments

• 51CQoNZ+NOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    51CQoNZ+NOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 63

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I have never experienced that problem with the remote a single time during 7 years of nearly daily use of the remote .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I wished the volume buttons were on the right of the mute buttons. I’m right handed as the majority of the population and prefer the volume keys to be nearer to the thumb.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I wished the volume buttons were on the right of the mute buttons. I’m right handed as the majority of the population and prefer the volume keys to be nearer to the thumb.

Although I have not experienced this as an issue, I agree (the mute and dim-buttons on the right are not so frequently used).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe ergonomics is the last frontier for audio and video products. We’re at a point where electronics issues are solved: Amps are powerful and transparent, DAC too. Speakers are improving and we’re at a (to me really surprising) of $250.oo speakers being, from very good to verging on excellent ( JBL LSR 308), let’s not even talk about headphones or especially, IEM, where <$200 can give you Harman curve complaint response and THD<1% throughout most of the passband. Golden times indeed. It remains however, that audio and video components are difficult to operate, and I believe this is stunting the market growth. There is no better examples than the front and the back of most any AVR, and last but not least , their remote controls. The usual layout is 15 rows of 15 equal size buttons!!:D The purpose of these things is purported to operate an Audo Video system in dim lighting, yet these are usually not lit. And they operate on their own terms. The poor owner of the things , sometimes , has to invest in a control system that cost more than her/his stereo or audio system. I am certain Control 4, for base system, for example, is at least $4000.00 and adding a component or two quickly raise the cost of ownership. Once upon a time , there was some effort from Logitech, IMHO it has beeen the best effort on affordability and ergonomics standpoints. They’re no more. There is in this space a hard vacuum. Or you are rich enough to acquire a Crestron or AMX or, you go DIY, and try your hand and mental heath at some Home automation alternative.
One could acquirre a Logitech remote on eBay. Logitech still provide the service and even support. There is no guarantee when all this will stop functioning. Mean while the problem of multiple remote and operation of audio video components remain.

Strange market sector, at times, ours is. :rolleyes:

Peace

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What am I missing here, a tablet running a remote app or Roon, as well as the Internet, BuOS, Volmino, Internet radio, Tidal connect etc., has got to be better than any push button thingy. Correct?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What am I missing here, a tablet running a remote app or Roon, as well as the Internet, BuOS, Volmino, Internet radio, Tidal connect etc., has got to be better than any push button thingy. Correct?
No

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What will be different?
From https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-la4-line-preamplifier:
The LA4's remote control is the same one supplied with the DAC3 in all its incarnations; it works with both the DAC and the LA4. When used with either the LA4 or the DAC3, the remote control's arrows allow the user to step through the inputs in either direction. Six discrete input buttons permit direct-access input selection, but these work only for the DAC3.
Direct access input selection would be different.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom