• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pderousse

Skinny Puppy, God's Gift (Maggots)

Last edited:

pderousse

Psychadelic Furs, Love My Way (better than TTwins)

pderousse

Joy Divison, Leaders of Men

pderousse

Gonna sneak this one in just bc it was he who wrote Kill 'em All for another band (whom one must also appreciate): Megadeth, Holy Wars (1990-ish)

pderousse

Its about Copeland - Regatta De Blanc (10/2/79 but whose counting)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there's a certain smugness i see across the internet where people will say.... "if you didnt grow up in the 80s and you werent exposed to 80s music then you really missed out"

and they kinda arent wrong. There truly is something special about this decade. Coincided with the birth of the compact disc.

in my country it gave birth to stuff like... AC/DC, Cold Chisel, INXS, John Farnham... I mean there's no repeat of this possible.

and the UK new wave

I mean check this out. And this is just example. What a rich sound and talent.

Ibofobi

Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (1983)

And with a bit better sound quality, would you prefer:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (1983)

And with a bit better sound quality, would you prefer:

Even on my Klipsch Heritage computer speakers (My computer [or any computer] is not attached to my stereo, the computer is not in the listening room) that makes a huge difference (of course, having seen the video enhances the song) but a very big upgrade of the sound quality when listening on the exact same setup

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received the UK version today. Wow! I set everything up to A/B the US/Portrait tracks with the UK tracks (1-2 secs transition) and it's night/day!
Yep. I've read it many a-time. This is definitely one where those on the other side of the 'pond' for the worse deal. I think there was a time in a forum somewhere where someone was importing UK discs like this to the US in larger volumes and shipping locally. Saved people a couple of bucks in shipping.

Glad you are enjoying that :)

Greenman

The Blue Nile
O yes Linn Records first release. As someone just getting into hifi in the mid 80s, my local dealers were Linn/Naim dealers (amongst others). This album and its follow up ‘Hats’ were on heavy rotation in that period, they are both nicely recorded and had very positive music press reviews. I found both records ok but somewhat overhyped and ultimately just a bit dull unless in the right mood.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anne Clark - Sleeper in metropolis

Multicore

Major Contributor
O yes Linn Records first release. As someone just getting into hifi in the mid 80s, my local dealers were Linn/Naim dealers (amongst others). This album and its follow up ‘Hats’ were on heavy rotation in that period, they are both nicely recorded and had very positive music press reviews. I found both records ok but somewhat overhyped and ultimately just a bit dull unless in the right mood.
Oh I really, really dislike that record. Gav made me listen to the whole damn thing for Part 2 of our series Glasgow's Miles Better series on pop culture from Glasgow in the 80s. But I got to talk about audiophillia, the fetish of the recording over the music, and the hilarious Linn Rekursiv computer history so it wasn't all bad.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh I really, really dislike that record. Gav made me listen to the whole damn thing for Part 2 of our series Glasgow's Miles Better series on pop culture from Glasgow in the 80s. But I got to talk about audiophillia, the fetish of the recording over the music, and the hilarious Linn Rekursiv computer history so it wasn't all bad.
I fully agree, an intro that I wouldn't force upon my dog, then something that resembled OK, but not quite, then the horrific voice (the lyrics may be OK as a poem (& even possibly by some other singer) & after some more of that sort of maybe OK, but not quite, music. What a total time suck.
Glad I didn't subject my main stereo to that!

Top Bottom