• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$500 budget for headphone and amp. What would you do?

Godataloss

Logic tells me it should be 80/20 split between headphone/amp, but I'm open to differing philosophies. I figure I can always upgrade the amp at some point, but my current main system does not have a headphone jack so if I want to listen to my main sources through my Minidsp SHD and in my comfy chair, I'll obviously need one. I doubt I'll ever buy a kilobuck headphone, so this is likely my forever headphone. Not looking for another audio rabbit hole to fall down.

I've tried to shift through the mountains of info here and on Drop, but I just don't feel like I have enough practical experience to make good value comparisons.

I listen to mostly electronic music and Jazz/Samba on headphones. Not sure why.

Here are my needs in order of importance.

Headphones
  • Full, accurate presentation at low volumes
  • Comfortable
  • Closed back with good isolation
  • Accurate deep bass
  • Would be nice if they could be driven by a cellphone or laptop
AMP
  • Must pair well with Headphone obviously
  • Signal Pass through- I plan to bi-amp at some point
  • DSP not necessary- can eq with my Preamp
  • Black to match the rest of my components
I appreciate your time and advice!

OP
Godataloss

Godataloss

DROP + DAN CLARK AUDIO AEON CLOSED X HEADPHONES = $379

JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ = $99
I like the sensibility JDS labs espouses. I wish they'd offer balanced connections as an upgrade. The Dan Clarks have been in my cart on drop along with the Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO.

Wunderphones

JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ = $99

Seconded.

I don't know the Atom. But I had the Mr Speakers Aeon Closed for about a year before I sold them off--so that I could buy the Ether C Flow 1.1, which had the boom I craved. That was the only thing I had against the Aeons--the sub-bass just wasn't quite enough on really slamming EDM or hip-hop tracks. (I don't have a craving for a bassy tonality in general, but I used to be a rave DJ, and when I listen to dance music, I want boom.)

And the bass response wasn't THAT far from what I wanted, plus I could have just put some EQ on it instead of spending another several hundred on the Ethers. At $379, you're not going to find a better closed headphone. Open-backed, I would probably recommend the Sundara, but you prefer closed-back, like all sensible folk.

I don't think it will give you satisfactory results driving it straight out of a cell phone or laptop, though. Dan's headphones seem to soak up current.

OP
Godataloss

Godataloss

I don't think it will give you satisfactory results driving it straight out of a cell phone or laptop, though. Dan's headphones seem to soak up current.
It would only be on occasion and I don't listen nearly as loud as I used to.
Thanks for the great feedback. I know exactly what you mean- if one is catching the Last Train to Trance Central, you best be able to hear those cars banging on the tracks. Revisiting some of the great drums of the past is a prime reason for getting some capable cans.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the sensibility JDS labs espouses. I wish they'd offer balanced connections as an upgrade. The Dan Clarks have been in my cart on drop along with the Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO.

Topping L50 will give you balanced everything, but it's going to take you $100 over budget. You could pair this with the AKG K371 and then 'upgrade' to the DC's later...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ = $99
I second @Berwhale recommendation.
It could be very, very difficult to do better... Drop has a THX amp a $200... that would bring your budget close to $600.. while @Berwhale's solution keeps it under...
Since you can EQ from your Preamp, by getting the Atom + DCA Closed X you may be confronted with an end game combo... :D

Peace

P.S. My Atom powers the HifiMan HE6 to loud levels.
P.P.S. The Drop THX aaa amp is now at $159... squarely within your budget..

Last edited:

Firefly00

JDS Labs ATOM AMP+ = $99
Instant second. They’re a steal for 380. Could also get a Schiit or topping amp if you like (I‘m using an Iemagni, it has better build than the atom)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pass thru of signal at level from the dac or adjusted by the amp volume control? Not many have a fixed volume pass thru but the THX789 (and possibly the smaller single ended only thx One from Drop too.). Then whilst you are ordering from drop get the HD 6xx and its job done.

OP
Godataloss

Godataloss

Pass thru of signal at level from the dac or adjusted by the amp volume control? Not many have a fixed volume pass thru but the THX789 (and possibly the smaller single ended only thx One from Drop too.). Then whilst you are ordering from drop get the HD 6xx and its job done.
I'd prefer it was just pass through. It would be going to another amp for when I biamp my speakers.

OP
Godataloss

Godataloss

I didn't realize the Aeons didn't drop until March #sadpanda
I'd like something I could fondle for the holidays when I will be making much merry and have copious amounts of time for listening.
Any other suggestions? The $500 budget wasn't absolute. I just wanted to get a feel for how I should be looking to pair the gear.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Unclear to me if you already have PEQ in your setup, but if not, get a $109 Qudelix 5K. Use it via OTG USB with smart phone or other source (I use a LG Rebel 4 TracFone - $25).
If you have a power hungry HP - follow it with a $100 JDS Atom or similar. But it will drive a K371 just fine.

Personally, I much prefer open back. And a $149 HE400se is tough to beat anywhere near it's price. The Qudelix drives it fine in Balanced mode.

If you must have closed back, and you can find one for under $400, take a look at the AKG N90Q. 'all in one'. A great buy when being closed out by Harmon at $299. Now $500 is often asked.

Wunderphones

Unclear to me if you already have PEQ in your setup, but if not, get a $109 Qudelix 5K. Use it via OTG USB with smart phone or other source (I use a LG Rebel 4 TracFone - $25).
If you have a power hungry HP - follow it with a $100 JDS Atom or similar. But it will drive a K371 just fine.

Personally, I much prefer open back. And a $149 HE400se is tough to beat anywhere near it's price. The Qudelix drives it fine in Balanced mode.

If you must have closed back, and you can find one for under $400, take a look at the AKG N90Q. 'all in one'. A great buy when being closed out by Harmon at $299. Now $500 is often asked.

Obviously they sound better. But they do so by freeing themselves of the headphones' traditional role of isolation.

If I'm going to listen to music that I don't need to keep to myself, I hugely prefer speakers to open back headphones. And sure, you can say "that's totally different!", but it really isn't. Speakers are just better in exactly the same way that open backs are better.

OP
Godataloss

Godataloss

I have a couple pairs of older Grado open backs I use at work where they allow me to hear the phone ring still. I want a closed back so I can shut out the outside world at home (re- kids). I have PEQ via the Minidsp SHD. I planned on setting one of the presets specifically for whichever headphone I choose.

Anyone else have experience with the AKG N90Q? Seems like they have quite a bit of extraneous electronics on them, I don't know enough about to judge if they are worth the added complication/expense.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone else have experience with the AKG N90Q? Seems like they have quite a bit of extraneous electronics on them, I don't know enough about to judge if they are worth the added complication/expense.
Can you actually get hold of a pair?

Top Bottom